Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. I had tried getting insurance to cover my lower stomach hang 2 years after surgery to which they denied saying it was not that bad so it would be cosmetic. Even though it still hung over the pubic bone. I think I could have appealed it but I just let it go.

april of this year I got a rash... I was told it was a yeast rash. They have my cream and powder..

may came and I still had the rash and it became worse. They said it was infected and gave me antibiotics and a new steroid cream.

June and July arrived and I still had this rash. By this time this rash that started in one small spot under my stomach hang it spanned completely across of stomach, down my left leg, and started actually going up my stomach. Through the 2 months, I began taking various antibiotics and again a new creams. My doctor in July finally said she would refer me to the plastic surgeon to have my skin removed, but due to the area I live in I couldn't get in with her until September 7th.

In august I finally went to the ER because it was so painful. Not only did I still have this stupid rash but it has turned into cellulitis because it was so infected. I did finally meet with the surgeon who said If they denied me this time she would help me appeal it (she's awesome and that's what you want in a surgeon!) luckily I have a better insurance company now who approved me in 4 days.

i share this story because A) in super excited to finally have this hang removed!

and B... it can be so hard to prove why you need something that you need but don't ever give up and I wish I would have fought harder the first time and I wouldn't be going through all this pain. Also really make sure you are seeing someone that cares about you, not just your money. The first office I went to were clean, overly qualified, and I know I would have been fine... but didn't listen to anything I had to say about what I wanted or needed which is why I think I got denied. This is your life and you body so don't let any doctor push you around!

IMG_1007.JPG

Thank you. I just want to make sure people know that to document, document, document with their doctor any rash or discomfort they are experiencing with their skin. You can get insurance to cover it and if you have a good surgeon they will make sure to help you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches