Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full Fat Mayo, cottage cheese, and yogurt

17 months out and 93 lbs down as of 10 months out. Maintained within 5 lbs since then. Don't measure, weigh or count anything. I do low carb, focus on Protein and do Nothing low fat. But I do lots of healthy fats. I see my nut every few weeks. She specializes in bariatric and I think that makes a difference. Love the way I eat and the foods I eat and I think that makes all the difference. I agree that most store bought mayo has junk in it. Take a look at Primal Kitchen mayo. A bit pricey, but we're worth it. They have a chipotle lime flavor also, which I put in my chicken salad and am eating now. Hope that helps. Good fats are healthy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

14 hours ago, IveGotThePower said:

17 months out and 93 lbs down as of 10 months out. Maintained within 5 lbs since then. Don't measure, weigh or count anything. I do low carb, focus on Protein and do Nothing low fat. But I do lots of healthy fats. I see my nut every few weeks. She specializes in bariatric and I think that makes a difference. Love the way I eat and the foods I eat and I think that makes all the difference. I agree that most store bought mayo has junk in it. Take a look at Primal Kitchen mayo. A bit pricey, but we're worth it. They have a chipotle lime flavor also, which I put in my chicken salad and am eating now. Hope that helps. Good fats are healthy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so glad this thread has started as all the "official" bariatric advice seems to be low cal, zero fat etc., and so much has changed in nutrition since the day of the fat free "calorie" obsessed diets. I do recognise that my way of eating wasn't healthy before, for me it was all obsessively healthy OR "off the wagon" days eating industrial amounts of sugar. For me, I'm going to give up sugar entirely now that I've had this done. But healthy fats are essential. Luckily I consult my own nutritionist that I trust otherwise I would have been lost. I'm going to check out Primal Kitchen mayo top tip thanks - looks like I can get it here in the UK.

It's amazing that you have found nutritionists that don't give you a hard time about low carb/high fat/high Protein. I've known many NUTS working in hospitals and most are dead set against it.

I do nothing,low fat, no fat because it means it's loaded with sugar!
Fat does not make you fat, sugar makes you fat.
My nut was the eat no fat, add whole grains. No no no..as a former diabetic grains keep you diabetic. I eat no rice, flour, Pasta, bread, or wheat.
The no fat low fat is the reason we are over run with heart disease and diabetes, 30 yrs after the no fat crap.

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1" instagram: K_aane_VSG

Another hand up for whole fat. I can only eat the full-fat cottage cheese. Anything less and it tastes gross to me. Same with mayo or any other fat-based food. I politely ignore the suggestions to eat sugar-substitutes as well. My taste buds HATE the fake flavors and I know they're bad for my body, so I'm not going to sweat a tiny amount of real sugar here and there.

Try ricotta cheese. You can make all kinds of stuff. Creamer the cottage cheese. Less gasie too.

My NUT is also low fat, low carb, high Protein and I ignore all of it except the low carb. Current research says healthy fats are good and necessary. Ketosis and paleo work because of the high fat/low carb. Plus, there’s never really that much difference re calories between low and full fat. At least not enough for me to make the switch.

My NUT says full fat, low fat, good fat, bad fat...its all processed the same in the body, so just keep it within reason. So many differences were taught.

I don't tend to add mayo to my foods, because I really don't need to. I actually like tuna with a little lemon pepper and that is it...No salt either. I can eat it right out of the pouch. I don't like yogurt either, so I don't eat that at all. I love cottage cheese though. I prefer the 2% milkfat version though, but only because it is more palatable to me. I only eat it every long once in a while, so it probably doesn't even make a difference either way.

I don't eat low carb at all. I eat whatever I want, but within reason. I am pretty disciplined, and don't crave garbage. I can eat so little that I would rather fill my stomach with real food. Not processed food, but not super fatty food either. I love vegetables and ancient grains (quinoa, millet, buckwheat, etc.). I also love salmon and tuna. chicken and turkey are okay, but I don't really care for pork or red meat. I also eat egg whites a couple of times per week. I do get my fats from fish, an occasional chicken or turkey breast, avocados, some cheese (cottage, pepperjack or cheddar), nuts, flax, hemp and chia seeds, and an occasional dose of olive and/or coconut oil.

There is tons of conflicting information out there, and the food and beverage industry loves that. At my kid's school, pepperoni pizza is considered okay as it is a grain, a vegetable, a milk product and a meat. They do offer salads and fresh fruit as well, which is a plus, but most don't get those. I tell my daughter that balance is important. If you eat the pizza, have a salad first. Then if you still want the pizza, have it. Either eat the fresh fruit, or wrap it up, and take it for snack later. She can use the added carbs as she is an athlete.

I eat full fat, real, organic everything. When I calculate my macros at the end of the day I am surprised to see just how much fat I eat. I get enough Protein, just barely the 60, and I'm a bit low on carbs, sticking to a bit of veggies and some starchy fibrous carbs like inulin and flax seed and Chia and pumpkin seeds. But I get a ton of fat. And every day I lose weight. I haven't had a plateau since right after surgery. I'm losing super slowly but it is steady. I do not think that fat makes us fat. I eat no sugar and no fruit (will add fruit back in once I lose the weight).

I don't watch my fat content at all. I watch carbs Protein and calories.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 179.8 GW 135

I actually asked my NUT because my booklet says "low-fat" everything, and I don't like low-fat dressing or cheeses, either. She said those guidelines were largely written in the 90's when everyone thought fat was bad. She said they are fine in moderation - she worries more about sugar and carbs.

Healthy fat is one of the big keys to my success. While I don't eat mayo (because I just don't like it), I have one 4 oz serving of full fat cottage cheese (mixed with sugar free strawberry preserves) every day.

And I cook with olive oil, and have bacon and eggs for Breakfast every morning, too!

And I've lost 218 pounds and am below goal!

I’m a full fat sort of girl and anyway If your counting it in your calories, Protein, fat and carbs then it shouldn’t matter. To each their own [emoji2]

I currently eat full fat. I'm down over 100 pounds and 7 months out. I do try to eat it in moderation though. I eat 2 % cheese if it's around but if not I eat full fat. I try to log everything I eat and stay conscious of the amount of carbs. Other than that i eat everything full fat.

HW 330
SW 292
CW 193.4
GW below 200