Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 25/09/2017 at 10:55 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

@DrGee

Why do you have to crush your pills? I was able to swallow large normal sized pills right after surgery.

I was told to crush certain tablets for 6 weeks.

Dumb question . - In remission from depression on two medications, how are you in remission? Is it not just the meds are well.. doing its job and working?

On 30/09/2017 at 2:13 AM, monalyssa33 said:

@Wumbo My biggest reason is the cost of the medications. I have insurance, but I'd love to not have to spend $50 every month for them if I can be successful without them. I used to be on Haldol for Tourette's and it wasn't until I went off it that I found my tics were worse when I was on the med that was supposed to suppress them.

You will have bigger costs if someone has to pay for your stay in hospital when you go off your meds and end up in a bad state. I am 3 months post the initial depression was the worst, I had been off meds for a year and in a good place, coming of the post surgery is a bad idea, you need them most now.

On 25/09/2017 at 1:36 AM, monalyssa33 said:

I have been in remission from depression for two years now. I would love to go off of my psychiatric medications (Wellbutrin and Lexapro), but since I had surgery in February, I told myself that I would wait until my weight settled and I adapted to my "new" life. I see a therapist every other week and my psychiatrist every 3-6 months. Has anyone gone off all psych meds after surgery and had any regrets? I know what I need to do to prevent a relapse and I'm very aware of any mood changes I may have and what I need to do to fix them, but I'm worried about going off meds that I've been on for years. Should I wait before I start seriously discussing this with my doctors?

You can't just FIX your depression when it hits, low mood yes. when the depression hits people post op who have never had issues with depression previouslly nevermind someone with a history of mental health issues, it is not just something you can fix, but your not there yet so what you may feel post op you would never have experianced, its not the same as pre op mental health issues. But you do whats best. I know my depression pre op is not the same post op it was more intense, and when you can not replace with food it was even worse.

Edited by dreamingsmall

On 25/09/2017 at 2:14 AM, DrGee said:

Im a week and a half post op and I'm "decompensated" from Wellbutrin and Celexa. I've been medicated for depression for almost 25 years. As a non licensed shrink, I think you're on the right track. There's nothing we can really do. I'm doing the same thing. I get mad, hurt, frustrated, depressed, irritable, over sensitive, and/or snappy at a given moment. I too am aware of these emotions and accommodate them when I can. It also helps to inform friends and family of your situation. My poor son... when I get mad at him or have an attitude for no apparent reason, I go to a room. It's his me worse at night. I'm or sure what came first... being a fat girl and depressed or being depressed and then a fat girl. It makes me wonder if when I get my confidence, sexy, and life back that being fat and depressed highjacked will I still suffer from depression and need meds. Not sure. I guess I'm going on and on to say that you're not alone.

No judgment your a great mum , also a mum and had mental health issues before, does your son have somewhere to go to so he can have some stable emotional tims as it can effect children negatively not knowing when someone will snap at them though its not your fault its hard for the child involved and they may look okay but i deal with children and teenagers who deal withh parents with mh issues whhile they love their parents its very hard to cope with havin someone shout at you randomly etc or over react they do need somwere to go were its peaceful for lengths of time while your waitin to get sorted with meds :)

Edited by dreamingsmall

Depression is a neurological disorder where chemicals called neurotramitters are misfired, restricting whats needed to feel pleasure, esteem, and other factors that it impacts. What scientists DONT know is whether genetics, hormonal levels, environmental factors, medical illness, stress, grief, substance use, or any combination of these causes this chemical imbalance. They do, on the other hand, facilitate its symptoms, intensity, and longevity.

Research has NOT found that there is a cure for depression. However, symptoms can be managed (not cured) with medication, diet, a lifestyle change, therapy, or a combination of these.

You be the judge.

Hi, myself and my sister both had surgery (same surgery, 1 year apart) and then had periods of depression after. We both take medication continually, had some breakthrough depression.

On 9/25/2017 at 2:45 PM, DrGee said:

I took Wellbutrin and while I'm ubanble to crush the medication due to this impacting the medications molecular structure and potential hazardous effects as a result of the change. My physician and I are working this issu out now. Be as it stands I'm off Wellbutrin til a get off the 6 week liquid diet.

You can get short-acting Wellbutrin. It requires multiple doses during the day, but you should be able to crush it just fine. (Edited to add, someone already provided a better response to this question. I should learn to read an entire thread before responding. 🤔)

Edited by GeneralDisarray

I went off my Wellbutrin (long-term user) at surgery. A bit more than two months out now, and I'm doing fine. It seemed like a convenient time (I mean hell, I was giving up caffeine already). The breadth of ways in which my life is changing is difficult to express, but I don't think it was a mistake.

Your results may vary, of course, and I would certainly include your providers in any conversation about it. FWIW, one reason I stopped is because I've heard it can exacerbate tinnitus, which is a problem for me. I think my tinnitus has improved a little, but not enough that I'd endorse making that a significant consideration in anyone's decision.

I would love to get off my depression medications, but don’t think i ever will. I have had 30 rounds of ECT for depression. I would love to chat with others about depression, feel free to PM me.

On 9/24/2017 at 5:36 PM, monalyssa33 said:

I have been in remission from depression for two years now. I would love to go off of my psychiatric medications (Wellbutrin and Lexapro), but since I had surgery in February, I told myself that I would wait until my weight settled and I adapted to my "new" life. I see a therapist every other week and my psychiatrist every 3-6 months. Has anyone gone off all psych meds after surgery and had any regrets? I know what I need to do to prevent a relapse and I'm very aware of any mood changes I may have and what I need to do to fix them, but I'm worried about going off meds that I've been on for years. Should I wait before I start seriously discussing this with my doctors?

You know you best. If you are in a secure situation with people around you for support, I don't see that there is any reason to wait to have a conversation with your doctors. It starts with a conversation, it doesn't mean that you have to do it immediately afterward. Maybe they can start by lowering your dose and if you do well at a lower level, continue to wean off it gradually.

I was diagnosed with a major depressive disorder years ago, but I am no longer on medication. I haven't really been for about two years. I will admit to having "bad spells" in there, but I communicated with the people who loved me (and sometimes mental health professionals) and pulled through.

If getting off these medications is important to you, follow through on talking to your doctors. They will be best informed on how to go about it or if it wise to take on during this transition period. Best of luck, whatever happens!!

On 26/09/2017 at 7:55 AM, OutsideMatchInside said:

Why do you have to crush your pills? I was able to swallow large normal sized pills right after surgery

Ditto that for me.

Life is changing much now. I caution that medication may be a positive tool. I know depression is neurological condition The brain changes - euro plasticity and gut hormones are significant. Check with your providers and please make sure you have supports. Best