Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This liquid diet is killing me

On 9/24/2017 at 4:51 PM, Rainbow_Warrior said:

My four weeks leading in to October 12th is like this. This is the dietitian's guideline.

diet_pre-op_Sept2Oct.thumb.jpeg.f0760eda5bd6b8c7882911cb6ce53d99.jpeg

So today (Monday 25th Sept) is Day 12 of my program.

My saviours have been:

** "any low starch green vegetables". This is code for a stir fry of zucchini, wilted baby spinach, green capsicum (bell pepper), celery, bok choy, choy sum, etc. ... I rapidly heat these then add a dash of lemon/lime juice and a squirt of white vinegar.

** diet or diabetic jellies (jellos)

These two allowable extras are helpful for me.

I've also had a few peppermint and spearmint teas (although I am very much NOT a tea drinker). I've even done bonox and vegemite in boiling Water as a drink.

I still have the Soups up my sleeve. I might go there this week ... just to be different.

- - -

HAVE I CHEATED?

Yes.

1. At the pub for trivia, I had diet ginger beer soft-drink (soda) both Sundays.

2. I had a slice of bread one evening.

3. I have been having a third serve of fruit most (but not all) days.

4. Twice, I added some sliced mushrooms to my stir fries.

How did you feel when you cheated? One slice of bread? 🤣. That’s funny. So I haven’t had surgery yet. It just struck my funny bone.

5 minutes ago, mw2543 said:

C3EFBA0C-EFD4-46C8-8B4F-9142EA45DF7E.jpeg

846915B1-987F-4FB4-9BAE-3615E7A2BC90.jpeg

D4B1DC3E-5D73-4915-BD4D-C8424E1726F3.jpeg

I think I'm gonna do the same thing. Because in the first month you really are not getting much in the way of food Vitamins. and I am not sure if you start taking your vitamins that soon. Because your gut needs to heal. So even if they are half effective....half is better than none in my book! Good idea!

On 9/25/2017 at 7:08 AM, DropWt4Life said:

If you are constantly getting some type of Protein in, and Fiber as well, you should not experience hunger. I made sure that every 2 hours or so, I was eating or drinking something. I never got hungry. Before cooking meals, I had a Protein Shake. I then would not be hungry when dinner or Breakfast (on weekends) was ready.

I did a 2 week liquid diet even though I only had to do 1 week. I lost 25 pounds during this time, because I was determined to make it work. My advice would be to get your mind right. This is for you, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You've just got to look for it. We've tried and failed at every diet we've ever tried our entire lives. This tool is worth the trouble and hardships, because it tips the balance in our favor.

It may sound crazy, but self-talk works wonders. Everyday, wake up and look into the mirror. Tell yourself that you are beautiful...That you will work hard to achieve your goals that day.....That you are worth happiness.....That you are going to SUCCEED!

It will happen for you. Good luck on your journey!!

Avocados are an excellent source to keep you full longer. I heard the good oils will help depress your appetite. So lots of Protein Fiber and good oils. Thats the key.

19 minutes ago, mw2543 said:

Made a mistake 😕

7 minutes ago, mw2543 said:

How did you feel when you cheated? One slice of bread? 🤣. That’s funny. So I haven’t had surgery yet. It just struck my funny bone.

Well, I was 'hungry' for the item/s at the time ... but, despite the difference to the stipulated diet, it's all in my diary and the dietitian has seen it.

So, I own up. I write it down. Not hiding it.

- - -

GOOD NEWS: My wife came home from her work with a medium pizza last night and offered me some. (A year ago we would bring home two medium or large pizzas and eat most that night.)

This morning there are still six of the eight slices in the box. My wife ate the other two slices last night.

I am not tempted. Exactly a week to my operation right this minute.

My mind is on the future prize, NOT the cold pizza.

1 hour ago, mw2543 said:

Thats just great. The high prize of good health is worth it. 👌👍🏼

1 hour ago, BunnyJean said:

I think I'm gonna do the same thing. Because in the first month you really are not getting much in the way of food Vitamins. and I am not sure if you start taking your Vitamins that soon. Because your gut needs to heal. So even if they are half effective....half is better than none in my book! Good idea!

This is great. You gut doesnt have to be abused and neither do you.

It’s because my gut needs to heal is why I’m NOT cheating. Prolapse is painful, dangerous, and sometimes fatal. That’s scary to me. So, I can’t give all the credit to my so called strong will. Unlike the sleeve and gastric bypass, a foreign object has been placed inside of me. One slip (yep, pun intended), and I’m history OR WORSE, I’m left with a jacked up stomach and a lifetime of explaining my f/up. NO THANKS.

On a brighter note... I’m not sure if your town has a restaurant called The Soupbox but this joint here in Chicago. I had a bowl of lobster bisque and a bowl of white cheddar broccoli Soup that blew me away.

I HATE the shakes. Does anyone know of another Protein supplement to use? It leaves an aweful aftertaste and this morning it made me nauseous. HELP!

Your best bet is to have hugh Protein Soups. I love Soup. Especially those 2 you just mentioned. Did you have the lap band?

Yes. I have the band. I’m looking now for a Protein supplement. Those Soups are expensive... $9 not a small 😱

3 minutes ago, DrGee said:

Yes. I have the band. I’m looking now for a Protein supplement. Those Soups are expensive... $9 not a small 😱

I've been experimenting pre-surgery so that I have an easy-ish road map to follow after surgery. Have you tried adding unflavored Protein Powder to regular Soups?

I make homemade chicken broth from trimmed scraps and bones that I would otherwise throw away. It makes about 3-4 cups at a time and is fairly quick to make. So I take a cup of broth and nuke it for a few seconds until it's about 135*. Then add in my Isopure Unflavored Protein powder and if I need to, will add just a touch of Better Than Bouillon to boost the flavor. You can also stir in a spoon or two of cream of anything to the Soup. It's really delish. I also do that with V-8 and warm it up for a Tomato Soup, or just add the protein to Tomato soup or bisque. You can stir in a spoon of yogurt and spices/herbs to make it creamy tomato. I also do it for cream soups from a can.

@FluffyChix no, I’m no choir and you’re not preaching. I appreciate reading about folks’ experiences and sharing mine with you all. While our journeys are similar, how we walk thru them is crisp and unique. Thank you and LETS GET THIS SEXY GIRL! We got heads to turn this summer. Some people ask me how much weight I want to lose. I Tell them how early on I threw my scale out the window because it lies to me and has no place in my walk. My goal is to be able to dress inappropriately and look dam good doing it. BAM!

Can you "drink" anything and as much as you want?

Also I see references to Jello. Is that allowed?

7 hours ago, Cat Malvo said:

Can you "drink" anything and as much as you want?

No ... not just anything.

Some limits apply to some liquids and outright bans (for good reasons) on others.

7 hours ago, Cat Malvo said:

I see references to Jello. Is that allowed?

Diet jellies/jellos are allowed.

Be judicious in how much you swallow. It's easy to overfill yourself.

Hi. I’m on day two of my pre-op diet. I care for two three year olds and feeding them and having the energy to play all day has been a challenge. But I’m devoted to the cause and so far, no cheating. This is really hard!!! I’m only allowed broth (no soups), SF Jello, SF popsicles, 3 Protein Shakes a day and one low fat yogurt a day... for two weeks. Does that seem more restrictive than most? My clinic assigns this same diet to everyone, regardless of weight or size of liver.

my question is when I will get to eat real food again? How long after surgery until I can eat a few pieces of sushi, a few bites of sandwich, or a Breakfast sausage? When will life feel normal again and I won’t have to constantly explain my shake when others are eating lunch?

31 minutes ago, Lotte22 said:

Does that seem more restrictive than most?

No.

This is one of the versions of "normal" pre-op.

31 minutes ago, Lotte22 said:

when I will get to eat real food again? How long after surgery

Usually two to five weeks post-op ... depends on your clinic/surgeon and/or over-all progress!

Try to stay the course. The results, nine times out of ten (or higher) are worth it.