Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

28 minutes ago, Sherry Rice said:

What is ESG?

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 234
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

Hey Sherry,

ESG is a new bariatric procedure that is considered noninvasive. It stands for endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty which basically means sewing or stitching up your stomach like a gastric sleeve but without any incisions. They go through your mouth with the suturing device. You are put under anesthesia and it is outpatient so you go home same day. There are only a few doctors performing this. However, this procedure looks promising so I think more and more doctors will be offering it soon. I am looking to get it done but I have not had it yet. Hopefully more people who have actually had this procedure done will chime in from this forum. My BMI is 32 and I’m 43 years old. This procedure is only for patients with a BMI from 30-40. Hope that helps you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hey Sherry,
ESG is a new bariatric procedure that is considered noninvasive. It stands for endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty which basically means sewing or stitching up your stomach like a gastric sleeve but without any incisions. They go through your mouth with the suturing device. You are put under anesthesia and it is outpatient so you go home same day. There are only a few doctors performing this. However, this procedure looks promising so I think more and more doctors will be offering it soon. I am looking to get it done but I have not had it yet. Hopefully more people who have actually had this procedure done will chime in from this forum. My BMI is 32 and I’m 43 years old. This procedure is only for patients with a BMI from 30-40. Hope that helps you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Wow, very interesting. I didnt know that was available. I just had a sleeve so Im good. Best of luck on your journey!

5' 5"

1 minute ago, Sherry Rice said:

Wow, very interesting. I didnt know that was available. I just had a sleeve so Im good. Best of luck on your journey!

5' 5"

Thanks. I don’t qualify for a sleeve because my BMI is not high enough but this procedure is supposed to be similar to the sleeve. It doesn’t produce the same amount of weight loss but it is ideal for people like me looking to lose 30-50 or so pounds. It’s not covered by insurance but I wasn’t going to get coverage anyway and it is a lot cheaper from $10,000 to like $12,000. Still looking to have this procedure done in the next few months when I have a good portion of that saved up. 😬 It looks like you have lost a nice amount of weight. When were you sleeved?

Hey Melesg,
Great to heat that you’re doing well. 12 kgs, that’s more than 26 pounds! Amazing! Congrats to you! I have heard from several who post about this procedure that a stall is very common so I’m glad you were able to get through that little bump in the road. I’ve also heard that people who have this procedure have increased energy levels as well. Is this something you noticed?
About my conversation with my Hubbie, well, it hasn’t happened yet but I am starting to get him on board with the idea of doing something to help me lose weight. He sees me struggle and has said if I really want to I should go to a weight loss doctor, although he kindly adds that I don’t need to, lol. So I’m getting there....baby steps. I’m planning to have mine in February. I’m not sure about Australia but it is still cold here in February which I think gives me time to recover and be ready for spring. Keep your fingers crossed for me. My best to you always.

I definitely have more energy and as we are entering summer down under, have great weather to get out and about. Much easier to meet my Water goals which I have struggled with at times.

That's great progress with hubs in going to get a doctors opinion. I'm guessing it will be one who offers the esg lol.

My teens still haven't noticed anything different which still cracks me up. I can now go out the dinner with friends who don't know about my esg and eat a reasonable meal and have a glass of wine which is lovely. So I guess I can say this "secret" is fairly easy to conceal. I'm glad I haven't told too many people as I feel I would now hate to be constantly asked how much more I had lost when the numbers are quite slow to move. Couldn't stand anyone asking if I regret this path or wish I had have gone with a lsg It's really nice to have "no pressure" and run my own race [emoji469]. Thought this might help as I know you plan to keep it fairly quiet too. And to those esgers who say it loud and proud - good on you. I thinks that's really brave and hope you get nothing but support.

Mel

Thank you everyone for some wonderful information about ESG which I am seriously considering. I will likely have the procedure done in Melbourne if the one surgeon in my home state (who does these) hasn't done too many ESGs. I like the idea of it being non-surgical as well as non-invasive. A drawcard to Melbourne is also robotic surgery.

If I go ahead with the procedure I hope to have it done fairly early in 2018, hopefully February.

I would like to lose about 25kilos (though I do need to lose more)...any more than that would be a bonus.

Edited by 2shea
add extra info

On 11/15/2017 at 0:37 AM, Melesg said:

I definitely have more energy and as we are entering summer down under, have great weather to get out and about. Much easier to meet my Water goals which I have struggled with at times.

That's great progress with hubs in going to get a doctors opinion. I'm guessing it will be one who offers the esg lol.

My teens still haven't noticed anything different which still cracks me up. I can now go out the dinner with friends who don't know about my esg and eat a reasonable meal and have a glass of wine which is lovely. So I guess I can say this "secret" is fairly easy to conceal. I'm glad I haven't told too many people as I feel I would now hate to be constantly asked how much more I had lost when the numbers are quite slow to move. Couldn't stand anyone asking if I regret this path or wish I had have gone with a lsg It's really nice to have "no pressure" and run my own race emoji469.png. Thought this might help as I know you plan to keep it fairly quiet too. And to those esgers who say it loud and proud - good on you. I thinks that's really brave and hope you get nothing but support.

Mel

Hey Mel,

I really do appreciate your posts. I read them sometimes over and over as they offer valuable information. My next question is this: keeping it a secret has been beneficial to you because your weight loss has now slowed down and you don’t have to deal with questions about how much you’ve lost etc. etc. However I was curious to know if the weight is still coming off regardless of how slow? My concern is that the weight will stop coming off and the numbers will slowly increase which will bring us right back where we started. So can you tell me now that you are a few months out if the weight is still coming off even if incremental and what you are eating that makes it so. Also, are you exercising yet? Thanks again Mel!😊

On 25/09/2017 at 1:46 PM, SammieKay said:

On a scale of 1(low) to 5(high), how would you rate the pain that you experienced? Also, did your docs do anything specific to ensure that you wouldn't have throat pain?

PRE-OP = nil

DURING OP = nil (thanks, anaesthesia!)

POST OP (rest of day) = about 3/10 to 4/10

POST OP (2nd day) = about 2/10 when moving, flexing, changing position in bed. Able to walk fairly comfortably for exercise.

POST OP (3rd day) = about 1/10 when changing position in bed, otherwise NIL. Able to walk slowly & comfortably for exercise all around clinic.

POST OP (days 4-7) at home = NIL PAIN

n.b. Other than the op day and the morning of the 2nd day, I refused ALL PAIN-KILLERS offered to me as I simply did NOT need them.

I spent another week doing light exercise (walking and stretch bands) at home. (I am officially retired but I returned to my part-time job 12 days post op.

Hey Mel,
I really do appreciate your posts. I read them sometimes over and over as they offer valuable information. My next question is this: keeping it a secret has been beneficial to you because your weight loss has now slowed down and you don’t have to deal with questions about how much you’ve lost etc. etc. However I was curious to know if the weight is still coming off regardless of how slow? My concern is that the weight will stop coming off and the numbers will slowly increase which will bring us right back where we started. So can you tell me now that you are a few months out if the weight is still coming off even if incremental and what you are eating that makes it so. Also, are you exercising yet? Thanks again Mel![emoji4]

Hi,
Yes it definitely is. I have been really focused on my diet and exercise and have lost 1.4 kg in just over 2 weeks. For me I'm finding that my clothing size is dropping quite quickly. I have been active since my procedure and have added some running within my walks (oh so slow but running none the less) and some strength training.

I think you definitely get out what you put in. I think I was snacking more than I realised and that was slowing my progress. Since I have tidied up my diet, I can see that it what a post procedure diet should look like. My day currently looks like a Protein Shake for Breakfast, meat and veg or salad for lunch, an apples and almonds for a snack and a low carb dinner which again is often meat and veg or salad. Just Water and coffee to drink. Walking x4 per week, 2x strength training at home.

Hope this helps [emoji3]

Thank you everyone for some wonderful information about ESG which I am seriously considering. I will likely have the procedure done in Melbourne if the one surgeon in my home state (who does these) hasn't done too many ESGs. I like the idea of it being non-surgical as well as non-invasive. A drawcard to Melbourne is also robotic surgery.
If I go ahead with the procedure I hope to have it done fairly early in 2018, hopefully February.
I would like to lose about 25kilos (though I do need to lose more)...any more than that would be a bonus.

H 2shea, welcome. Let us all know what you decide to do. I am a Melbourne girl too so sending lots of local support your way x

Hi, Hope4momof4, I am a mom of 3 sons (17,19,21). I am 5'7" and pushed back up to 207lbs recently. I had given up hope of ever being able To keep this weight off, but then I read about this procedure. I have been considering some type of barIatic procedure for several years and finally decided on the ESG after tons of research. My sister and I have both been fighting our weight for the entirety of our adult lives so we finally decided to take this next step. We both went in for the procedure at Journeylite in Cincinnati on Nov. 15 . Other places that I researched were Johns Hopkins and Cornell Weill medical center. Journey lite was just closer and seemed more flexible for us. Neither of us was eligible for insurance coverage and we each had BMIs in the low 30's.(cost ~10K) The staff and surgeon there are terrific. We are out of towners, so we got all the preop stuff done ahead of time and then arranged to stay at nearby hotel until we had recovered enough ahead to travel home. So far, the toughest thing for me has been the clear liquid diet for the week of surgery, other than that, the the cramping, pain and nausea have been very well controlled with medications. (I would even say that it has been pretty easy for me) The staff there has a good Plano medications to get you through this tough time. My sister has had all the side effects of nausea, vomiting and gas pain, but I have not had any side effects at all. now, I am just trying to wrap my head around eating very little quantities and getting enough Fluid. We both could have worked today if we had to do so. We arrived the night before our procedure and stayed two nights just to make sure that all of the anesthesia was out of our systems so that we'd could safely drive. I'll try to keep updating. I really like to see as much info about this procedure as possible, so I will try to do my part. As one of the other posters mentioned, my 17 year old son is so self absorbed, he has not noticed a thing.he never even questioned why I was out of town for 3 days...lol! I think my kids are so used to my dieting that this is just another day in the with moms crazy dieting.well, clear fluids for a few more days until I progress to shakes. I'll let you know how it goes.

6 hours ago, smith.99 said:

Hi, Hope4momof4, I am a mom of 3 sons (17,19,21). I am 5'7" and pushed back up to 207lbs recently. I had given up hope of ever being able To keep this weight off, but then I read about this procedure. I have been considering some type of barIatic procedure for several years and finally decided on the ESG after tons of research. My sister and I have both been fighting our weight for the entirety of our adult lives so we finally decided to take this next step. We both went in for the procedure at Journeylite in Cincinnati on Nov. 15 . Other places that I researched were Johns Hopkins and Cornell Weill medical center. Journey lite was just closer and seemed more flexible for us. Neither of us was eligible for insurance coverage and we each had BMIs in the low 30's.(cost ~10K) The staff and surgeon there are terrific. We are out of towners, so we got all the preop stuff done ahead of time and then arranged to stay at nearby hotel until we had recovered enough ahead to travel home. So far, the toughest thing for me has been the clear liquid diet for the week of surgery, other than that, the the cramping, pain and nausea have been very well controlled with medications. (I would even say that it has been pretty easy for me) The staff there has a good Plano medications to get you through this tough time. My sister has had all the side effects of nausea, vomiting and gas pain, but I have not had any side effects at all. now, I am just trying to wrap my head around eating very little quantities and getting enough Fluid. We both could have worked today if we had to do so. We arrived the night before our procedure and stayed two nights just to make sure that all of the anesthesia was out of our systems so that we'd could safely drive. I'll try to keep updating. I really like to see as much info about this procedure as possible, so I will try to do my part. As one of the other posters mentioned, my 17 year old son is so self absorbed, he has not noticed a thing.he never even questioned why I was out of town for 3 days...lol! I think my kids are so used to my dieting that this is just another day in the with moms crazy dieting.well, clear fluids for a few more days until I progress to shakes. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey there smith.99,

I hope the procedure works out for you and your sister. The one advantage you’ll have is having it done with your sister so you can both support each other as well as motivate one another. It sounds like your sister had a more difficult time with this than you did. After reading so many peoples’ posts about their procedure your post is proof that each individual will react differently. You didn’t have any major discomfort while it looks like your poor sister had a rough postop. I guess I’ll just have to try my luck. To be honest this is not what worries me the most about this procedure, what I’m concerned with is whether or not it will work (meaning if I’ll lose weight) and how it will affect my stomach long term. Some say you can revise if restriction starts to get less while others say you can always revise to a sleeve and still others say you can not have a sleeve done afterwards b/c of scar tissue. I’m very confused about that part of this procedure. Either way, if I do get an esg done it will be an only procedure for me as I need this to be successful. I must go in with the mindset that this is it and I have to make it work no matter what. I also believe that every bariatric surgery or procedure can fail if you don’t do your part to change your eating habits and adapt a healthier lifestyle. Please keep us updated on you and your sister’s progress. Your BMI is very close to mine and it would certainly give me great encouragement to move forward. Thank you so much for your post. 😊

Hello again! I am almost 3 weeks out from my surgery (on 11/15). I hit my highest weight on 10/30 at 207.8 lbs and am down to 188.7, so almost 20 pounds lost in November. I was 202 before surgery, so 13.3 pounds since 11/15....not bad, but I feel like I am in a stall. I haven't felt any discomfort from the surgery at all. Nothing. Nada. The only way to tell that I have had the surgery is that I can eat much less. For two days prior to surgery and then the week following surgery, I was on only liquids. That was hard, but doable. Thanksgiving was 1 week post op and I was able to eat some butternut squash Soup with a little crabcake mixed in. I also had home made cranberry sauce mixed with a little ricotta cheese. I do not believe in low fat diets at all (I follow Bulletproof and Mark Sisson of Mark's Daily Apple), so all my dairy is full fat - yogurt, milk, ricotta. Cutting out sugar is really no problem. Getting in enough Protein is the biggest challenge since dense food doesn't feel good. I have diced chicken really small and mixed with broth or thinned out with yogurt or the butternut squash soup. I did eat some refried Beans thinned with salsa. I am talking very small quantities - table spoons of things. Although I haven't had any pain, I am full with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food at a sitting. This is both weird and wonderful. Since I was not all that hungry (I am assuming that is the effect of the surgery plus the ADD meds that I take) I have had a hard time getting in enough calories. I was averaging about 350 calories a day for the two weeks post surgery and then I hit a huge stall in my weightloss. In the past week, I have only lost 2 pounds. The nutritionist said I was in starvation mode, so I had to try and get in more quality calories, which I have been able to do. My sister had the same situation happen, so she just added in shakes. As I mentioned in my previous post, she had more trouble than I. She has been uncomfortable (apparently she bled more in the actual surgery and has more swelling. She and I have always healed differently, so this is just par for the course for her.) She has been able to puree some Atkins meals and is satisfied with that. She has had a much harder time wrapping her head around the smaller meals and dietary changes. I have given up sugar and carbs completely many times and can live quite happily that way, she is a carb addict and a bad dieter (her own words!) LOL. She laughed and said that she has never lasted this long on a diet. It is hard, but we are both happy with the decision. They keep saying " This is a tool for weight loss, just a tool. You still need to do the work." and I am looking at it that way. The diet still needs to change. I had to walk away from all the Desserts on Thanksgiving. (Did I mention that I served an extraordinary sit-down dinner for 20 on that day? I cooked everything, including home made bread!) I was happy to be able to eat less and not be driven back to the kitchen all day long. I think that using contrave, belviq or Vyvanse is still helpful post surgery to help get the brain wrapped around all of thie

Thanks Smith.99. That info you provided was very detailed. I always truly appreciate any information someone who has had the esg procedure can provide for those of us preop. Your weight loss thus far has been outstanding! I think you have to remember that starting at a lowerish weight means that your weight will come off slower. If you’ve hit a stall then I would say, based on what everyone else who had the procedure has posted, that it is a completely normal part of the process. Many people have had a stall a two to three weeks postop. You are still doing great especially considering having to cook an enormous Thanksgiving meal! If I were you I’d look at it this way— at this time last year I would have had a gain of like 5 or so pounds because of the holidays so you’re really down more like 25 pounds! Lol! I’m saying this because you’re starting weight is so similar to mine (I probably be between 197-198 on the date of my procedure) so I would look at it as a bigger loss. My only advice to you would be to add some exercise now to get more weight off because it seems like you’ve got the food part down packed.

I also think it is a blessing that you and your sister did this procedure together and can support and encourage each other. I think you’re both doing fantastic!!

Hi there. The last posts here are from 2017. I’m curious to hear how folks are doing now… three years after their ESG surgeries. Any updates? Thanks so much.

I had gastric plication, the same type fold your stomach surgery 7 yrs ago. At that time it was done laproscopically. I have maintained my weight loss till fairly recently. I have gained 8-10 pounds but I can't blame the surgery. I have been grazing due to the difficulties of life including a husband with dementia. I am taking back control and losing those pounds . Gaining weight won't solve the things that are making me want to nibble. This has been avery good choice for me.