Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you getting your pain meds?

Are you guys having any problems getting your meds? There is a big to-do going on over on FB today about people going to CVS, Walgreens and Walmart and being questioned by the pharmacists about WHY they need the meds and then refusing to fill the prescription. Are any of you having any difficulties?

Are you guys having any problems getting your meds? There is a big to-do going on over on FB today about people going to CVS, Walgreens and Walmart and being questioned by the pharmacists about WHY they need the meds and then refusing to fill the prescription. Are any of you having any difficulties?

No. Filled Rx at CVS without issue...but my hospital sent the prescription directly versus me coming in with paper script...maybe that's the difference.

Many states have implemented a prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP) where pharmacists & doctors have to upload all narcotic prescriptions. It is a centralized system so they can see if you are doctor shopping or going to multiple pharmacies. The idea is that it will help reduce opioid abuse.

These systems have been in place in many states for a number of year. So that alone should not be the issue. Perhaps there was some time of new procedure / crackdown with your state that is prompting pharmacies to tighten their procedures.

All of that being said - if you have a legitimate prescription it should be filled.

When my friend went to fill my script there was an issue because the PA wrote it and wasn't in the DEA system. They corrected it though and I got my script.

If I went some place and the pharmacist was questioning me, I would just switch my prescription. It isn't like there is a shortage of pharmacies (for most americans, not talking about rural people).

I'm very careful to use the same pharmacy and I only let my PCP write my script for pain. There is a database that you fall into if you receive narcotics. If you jump from pharmacy to pharmacy, or have multiple docs writing scripts, you run the risk of being flagged in that database. It's possible for you to be banned from receiving any more prescriptions. I forget what that is called.

With my drug, I have to have a hand written, signed prescription for the medicine. They will not accept a digital script. I physically have to deliver this prescription to the pharmacy.

Sux that so many people have either lobbied to make narcotics the new cause de celeb, or that so many have abused them to the extent that we now have to suffer big brother telling us how much pain medicine we're allowed to take.

My problem getting my pain meds was that the pharmacist saw the notation on my file that said I have anaphylaxis with morphine, and he didn't want to fill the script (for a similar drug) without checking with my surgeon. He did, my surgeon called me to verify that I hadn't had a problem with the meds at the hospital, and then they filled the script. The pharmacist was doing his job, and I'm glad to put up with a little inconvenience to know that they're trying to keep me safe!

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

...And that is exactly what a pharmacists is supposed to do.