What Post-Sleeve Rules Do You Break?

134 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, SassyScienceNerd said:

American bread does a number on my stomach. I had a grilled chicken breast on a bun on my way to a meeting and eating in the car on the way was my only option, unfortunately. So I couldn't go bunless. And it was just awful. I stopped and threw up on the way. I had a bite of my daughter's white toast and it did the same thing. But the really dense grainy breads don't have the same effect. We had avocado and smoked salmon on some dense whole wheat type (German style) bread and it was delicious, filled me for hours, and didn't give me any tummy trouble at all.

I learned a valuable lesson last night. Eating on the run in your car is a no-no and almost lost it last night and vowed never to eat on the run again. You forget to slowly chew your food and wolf it down like you used to when gaining weight.

1 hour ago, FishOn said:

I learned a valuable lesson last night. Eating on the run in your car is a no-no and almost lost it last night and vowed never to eat on the run again. You forget to slowly chew your food and wolf it down like you used to when gaining weight.

Yikes, sorry you had that experience! I definitely didn't wolf my food, and I chewed it pretty well, it's just something about that bread. I had a veggie-dog on a bun a few weeks ago with the same result, though at the time I thought it was the veggie dog.

FishOn likes this 1 Like this

On 13.11.2017 at 0:22 PM, Berry78 said:

Pretty sure the "eff it, I'm not gonna live with rules" is what most of us did prior to gaining the weight that landed us in the surgical suite.

I think what bella bloom said about rules carries a lot of truth for a lot of WLS patients. Of course there might be the "f*ck rules" people that were always like this, however, I think what most WLS patients experience is a severe "dieting burnout" where you're simply no longer able to follow any rules because you're so burnt out from years and decades of "following the dieting rules" that it seems to be virtually impossible. The surgery usually gives a ton of motivation but that doesn't last and the burnout kicks in again, maybe harder than before.

And that's very different from "eff it, I'm not gonna live with rules".

I was reading, just today, about re-feeding anorexics. Basically, for them to gain weight, a typical 2000 calorie diet isn't enough to make significant changes to their weight. They need to eat 3500 and 4000 calories to make much headway. This is because the first 2000 calories are used just to continue living.. the extra is needed to make repairs and gain weight.

Bella, even eating whatever she wants, is still restricted by the size of her stomach and her rule of stopping when satisfied. She isn't eating over 3000 calories a day, therefore can't gain a ton of weight... yet. I believe that once her body has healed the starvation damage, (may take years with limited calories), then she'll gain weight like the rest of us. Assuming "satisfied" comes a smidge too late ;)

As for what "most bariatric patients" do or don't do with rules.. you are probably right, summerset.. I just know that at some point, in order for us to be morbidly obese, we couldn't have been following rules. Whether burnout, or lack of attention, or a rebellious attitude.. whatever reasoning was behind it.. doesn't really matter... cuz here we are!

The key to long term success is going to look different for each of us. But ultimately, we all are working with the same fundamentals. If we eat too many calories, we will put on weight. (how many is "too many" will vary wildly between us). If we find we are eating too many and the scale goes up, then we have to change something so we aren't eating too many any more.

Much easier when we've gained 10lbs, then 100.