Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Post-Sleeve Rules Do You Break?

This time of year is hard. I eat Cookies at work ,sometimes and have a difficult time making Protein goal some days and Water amounts most times, I drink 48 ounces not sixty three. On the other hand I’m three years out and a consistent 100 pounds down

Little over 3 years out, and weigh 110 lbs. I eat pure junk because I can. Has not hurt my maintenance at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I think the idea of junk food is that it's great it doesn't effect your weight. But is it enhancing your health ? It's good that you can and stay small.. But it doesn't mean it's not detrimental to your health. But you know what's best for your body.

Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I pretty much break all of them.

I barely took my vitamins... once I could eat I drank and ate together a ton, still do. I eat sugar and junk food and fried food etc. I drink sodas and red bulls and coffee... tons of bread and candy. I eat Bagels every day for Breakfast. I eat donuts in the super market standing in line. I don’t count my calories and I don’t weigh myself either. I don’t work out regularly although I do stay active at work. Nothing too active though. I drink carbonated beverages daily. I use straws lol. (Didn’t even know that was a rule) I eat whenever I am hungry. I have no plan whatsoever. I eat pie. I drink mixed drinks and wine and eat tons of super calorie high cheeses and oils. I snack and graze at times. I really pay no attention to what or how I eat.

My only rule is : I eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m satisfied.

And other than the occasional dumping and stuff getting stuck I am happier than ever. I maintain at what I guess is my “goal” although sometimes I’m a little under it and sometimes a little over it but usually I’m trying to keep weight on me, not off of me. I’m too thin if anything.

And you had a whole host of health problems after your sleeve.. so it's interesting to know what you did. Some things are unavoidable health wise but I can imagine you may have had a better chance if you took your Vitamins etc so your body was stronger.

And you had a whole host of health problems after your sleeve.. so it's interesting to know what you did. Some things are unavoidable health wise but I can imagine you may have had a better chance if you took your Vitamins etc so your body was stronger. Sent from my Vivo 5R using BariatricPal mobile app

I didn’t have a whole host of health problems after my sleeve- i had a host of health problems BECAUSE of my bariatric surgery and concurrent surgeries and stricture. So let’s gets that straight. Nothing that i went through was because i wasn’t a rule follower- My story is more complicated than simply saying - oh she didn’t take her Vitamins so she got sick. Not only could I not take vitamins- I could not EAT for a long time. And I mean- anything. For months. I had multiple surgeries and was in the hospital again and again for months. Taking Vitamins was basically impossible for me during the complications I went through. I would vomit profusely every time I tried because I had basically zero food in my stomach. I ended up with a pic line feeding me for months. I did end up using patch Vitamins but I only really Improved once I was able to start eating.

This whole thread to me shows that people have to do things the way that works for them. Of course it’s always better to take care of your health and follow the rules. But let’s be real- most of us obese individuals aren’t too great at self care to begin with. And living by rules- that’s really tough long term. Even short term, it’s hard.

I personally applaud those of you who are able to follow the doctors orders perfectly. Good for you. Do your best. But it’s realistic to also say- find what works for you and explore your options. Know that good self care isn’t easy and the surgery is a great time to get some therapy to help with that. I wish I had much earlier then I did.

The surgery isn’t a magic solution that’s gonna make you be able to live on a diet for the rest of your life. Those that think that are bound to fail. But it will give you a chance to explore what works for you, break the diet cycle and get to a healthier place with some help. With the right attitude and support it can be done, even if the way you do it isn’t “perfect”.

Throwing around a patronizing attitude of “well you didn’t follow the rules but I will” just shows a lack of knowledge of living with wls long term and an unrealistic idea of what to expect in terms of challenges down the line. Most of the vets get it, some are better than others at - of I don’t know, never eating carbs again or whatever. But the majority- and I’ve met many many people who have had wls know, the majority have to find something more flexible or they do regain.

I keep forgetting to ask my surgeon about gum. What's the rationale? Is it the air you intake when you chew gum that's supposedly bad?

Because the sleeve is so small, my doctor said if tou happen to swallow it, it could cause a blockage in uour sleeve. I chew gum because I've never had a problem with swallowing it.

Because the sleeve is so small, my doctor said if tou happen to swallow it, it could cause a blockage in uour sleeve. I chew gum because I've never had a problem with swallowing it.

They never mentioned anything to me about gum so I chew it every now and again (5 months post )

On 11/22/2017 at 6:39 AM, Berry78 said:

I think my daughter is reacting to white flour. It doesn't look like stress eating.. I think it's true, unending hunger (cuz I did the same thing). At school they have pastries for breakfast and pizza for lunch. All this white flour is knocking her for a loop.

I keep trying to rid the house of this stuff.. it's a process... we have a fruit bowl out all the time, in the fridge is milk and cheese and salad stuff. Freezer is full of bagged veggies and frozen fish. Cupboard has tons of canned Beans and Soup and fruits and veggies. But, if there is a box of mac and cheese.. that's what gets eaten. Sigh.

My kids are both like this. What changed my daughter's life was Pinterest, of all things. I showed her how to basically search for ingredients and find recipes for stuff we already have, and she has had a few hits and misses, but it's a fun project for her to cook food now. And lately she's given me shopping lists for ingredients for recipes she wants to try, she made a delicious black bean Soup a few weeks ago in the crock pot. When I started Keto, she did that with me and tried a few recipes for that, too. She is 12 and might be a better cook than me pretty soon :)

On 12/9/2017 at 8:29 AM, summerset said:

Makes me wonder what kind of stuff is usually sold as "bread" in the US. :blink:

OMG me too!! I would make bread or get bakery bread and it would be moldy in 3 or 4 days if it wasn't eaten, and then I understood why people would have to make bread every day in the old days. Then I'd realize that a loaf of bagged bread from the bread aisle could sit for a good three weeks in my pantry without a fuzz on it-- I don't buy aisle bread anymore. And since I don't eat bread now, the kids think it's a big treat when I buy it, and only the very seedy, grainy stuff from the bakery section. And even with them devouring it daily, it gets fuzzy after a few days and we have to throw the rest in the yard. I wonder how many people who believe they have gluten intolerance actually just have an intolerance to American bread with all the preservatives in it. It's basically an edible sponge. :(

My Diet plan for life is 700-800 cal a day and getting 60-90 grams Protein a day

3 small meals and 2 high protein snacks/supplements no more then 9-10 grams of fat per meal and less then 3 grams per snack

Should low/no sugar

64 oz of Fluid a day

Says nothing about carbs

I make sure i get my protein every day by eating 3 yogurts at 12 grams a piece (dannon lite and fit greek yogurt) and 2 20 gram think thin Protein Bars thats 76 grams

Rules i break are a follows

I drink coffee

I do not drink 64 oz's of Water a day

I do not chew my food 20 times before swallowing

I do not wait to eat after drinking/i drink with my meals sometimes

I still have issues at 4 months out eating solid foods so my meals consist of yogurts, mushy sides and snack foods (i still cannot eat red meat and chicken is only a few bites) and sometimes those mushy sides and Snacks are not the best choices but they go down easy.

Still trying here!!!

@Irisbramble 700-800 calories a day for life is starvation, and you will see those effects in a short amount of time. No one should exist on so little nutrition, this will shut your metabolism down as much as being obese will. You need to gradually increase the calories, and eat some vegetable carbs at least. Have you tried fish or black Beans? I cannot tolerate white meat chicken but baked or grilled thighs are okay, ground turkey is okay too. Try small pieces of meat cooked in Soups rather than junky side dishes (exactly what sides are you consuming)

I didn't wait a year before drinking alcohol as advised. I think I only hung in there around 3 months. I don't drink a lot though, just a glass of wine occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G900P using BariatricPal mobile app

How was it when you drank the first time?

13 hours ago, Sosewsue61 said:

@Irisbramble 700-800 calories a day for life is starvation, and you will see those effects in a short amount of time. No one should exist on so little nutrition, this will shut your metabolism down as much as being obese will. You need to gradually increase the calories, and eat some vegetable carbs at least. Have you tried fish or black Beans? I cannot tolerate white meat chicken but baked or grilled thighs are okay, ground turkey is okay too. Try small pieces of meat cooked in Soups rather than junky side dishes (exactly what sides are you consuming)

My NUT stressed to me the importance of vegetables at my last meeting with her (8 months post op) and that often our focus on Protein leaves little room for important vegetables in our diets and we need those balanced meals. She actually had me decrease the size of my protein by an ounce at two meals a day and add more vegetables.

I don't exercise enough (I think I might hit 3000 steps a day) and I eat dark chocolate every night before bed.

My NUT said that the biggest sign that someone is going to succeed at WLS is that they start exercising. Sometimes I think about joining a gym. I don't have any injuries or health reasons why I can't exercise. I am pretty unfit though. Like, if I tried to run a mile I would probably puke and then pass out.

I have also had alcohol about 3 or 4 times. The first time I had 2-3 glasses of champagne and got so drunk, it was frightening. More recently at Christmas, I had about 2 sips of wine (and with the meal too).

My surgeon said that the gastric sleeve gives you 2 or 3 years to educate yourself and change your eating patterns. If not, you can expect regain and failure. I do hope to follow the rules. As someone here said, they are there for a reason.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:48 AM, TheNewMrsR said:

I love tuna salad and hummus so I put it on veggies instead of crackers. Used to do celery but I'm only 24 hours post op right now and think I remember that celery might be too stringy so I might have to stick with carrots, zucchini, and Bell peppers for dipping once I get food again.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

Celery was always tough for me for some reason even before my surgery but I've always done tuna on cucumbers whenever I've done low carb diets..not sure if you like cucumbers but that works too :)