Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Post-Sleeve Rules Do You Break?

On 9/27/2017 at 11:23 PM, Nicole42 said:

I didn't wait a year before drinking alcohol as advised. I think I only hung in there around 3 months. I don't drink a lot though, just a glass of wine occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G900P using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh yes, me too. I told my doctor that I'm just not giving up my gin and club sodas. He can pry it from my cold skinny dead hands. Wine gives me heartburn but I've prepped beforehand and had some at special occasions.

On 10/14/2017 at 1:49 PM, DisneyMom2El said:

I eat sweets if I want them. One benefit of surgery is that I can limit how much I eat and many no longer appeal to me.

This! I don't do a lot of sweets anymore, which I loved before. I got a nice dark chocolate bar from a friend last weekend and I had 2 little squares of it. The rest is sitting on my dresser (I have kids, if I want something, it needs to hide from them, haha) and I see it every day. I'm not even tempted. I just know one of these days I'll have a craving and it will be there. It's nice that the sweets thing doesn't appeal to me anymore like it used to. I wasn't expecting that.

I'm 6 wks out and I myself have broken a few rule, I have had like two chip, I've had my rum with a splash of cranberry juice. Other then that I've been ok, I must say I have lost interest to a lot of the foods I used to love, I'm still having some trouble here and there getting my Protein in, I feel like meat doesn't taste the same to me! Neither does chicken! I've grown a love for tuna that I never had, actually had that for dinner wrapped in lettuce it was great! I'm still on this stupid stall and stuck at 237. But otherwise I have been adjusting.

6 hours ago, CrowMilk said:

Some people don't have an issue with the type of food they eat. For myself, it was always about bingeing. Now that I literally cannot binge, I haven't had any issue with the foods I eat. I don't feel connected to food in the same way anymore.

I eat fast food (moreso now because our kitchen is being completely renovated) and I am still losing weight and being healthy overall.

Exactly, I'm over six years out and I can eat absolutely everything I could eat the day before my surgery (had I not been on my pre-op diet of course). Oh, with the exception of pancakes!! OH GOD pancakes... I can eat bread, oatmeal, waffles, french toast but a few bites of a pancake and I'm wishin I was dead. lol

Deal is, if I could put all I eat (when I eat) into a measuring device of some sort I bet the absolute most I've eatin since 1/27/11 would be 2 - 2 1/4 cups (tad more MAYBE, Chili night who can blame me? lmao). And I'm DYING when I get close. But I have to be mentally sidetracked for that to happen.

Trust your new stomach, they CAN and to a point WILL stretch (some) but you would have to over eat SO much and suffer SO much for it to stretch enough for you to start gaining back again.

On 10/15/2017 at 1:46 PM, BuffaloBill said:

This is a great thread. I've drank coffee since day 2 cause my surgeon said it's fine. Today I broke the 2 week liquid only diet and had Cream of Wheat with almond milk and blueberries and I feel full and fine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

I've never had CoW with almond milk, that sounds delicious! I don't tolerate milk as well since the sleeve, but I haven't explored all the ways to replace it in foods I make yet. Tucking this one away for when it's cozy winter and I need a little bowl of comfort! I used to make it, then pour it in little ramekins and then sprinkle sugar on top and broil it until it had a little crust. I bet I can do that with my sugar free baking alternative. I think it's called Swerve. Wonder if that will come out ok? The ramekins are perfect because I measure out everything in my little 4 oz portions.

Thank you, berry. I just cringe when I see things like this because I wonder if people are aware of the very real dangers.

Here are the Vitamin supplements that I take. The brand is Bariatric Advantage and they are pretty good. I actually look forward to them. The texture and taste are very much like Starbursts. I also take the same brand of Calcium supplements in this same type of chewable but I didn’t have the packaging for those with me. IMG_3342.thumb.JPG.a28318cabd5c4b061f5fc45798a56ffc.JPG

As of October 12, 2017, I am 4 months post op and have lost 100 pounds. I have reached my goal weight and could not be more ecstatic!

I love the Vitamins from bariatric advantage. They are like a piece of candy so they feel decadent to be eating them!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have always sabotaged my weight loss over the years so I am scared t death to go through this surgery to just blow it in a few years. I know I won't follow the plan 100% but I need to be as careful as possible. My sister had the bypass and gained everything plus more because she ate too much and stretched her stomach out again. I hope I can stay on target after my surgery and make this a lifelong change.

I lost almost 100 pounds with lap band almost 10 years ago. Once the band broke I sabatoged all my progress by going back to the same old habits and gained 65% of my lost weight back. Hence the need for revision to sleeve.

This time I have promised myself I will follow doctor's orders to a T. I will eat a better selection of food. Not saying I won't have a cheat BITE or TASTE now and then but it won't be my main way of eating. Two surgeries. I can't let them be for naught. I'm getting to old for this. I need to take care of me.

Carbs are very much my enemy, any cheating at all and I gain

I love tuna salad and hummus so I put it on veggies instead of crackers. Used to do celery but I'm only 24 hours post op right now and think I remember that celery might be too stringy so I might have to stick with carrots, zucchini, and Bell peppers for dipping once I get food again.

Halloween permits candy on my personal "plan".. not my doc's recommendation..
I'm 7 months out so can try what I want.
I haven't had candy since surgery, so had no idea what would work. (I did have fudge, but it wasnt good).
Tried a small bite of twizzler, and baby tummy hated it! Tried a small bite of York peppermint patty.. that was a mistake... horrible horrible mint..kinda burned! Those were my favorites preop, too!
3rd times the charm. Tried a Payday, and it was super good (better than preop). Ate the whole thing.. it was one of those little 3 inch long ones... snack size or something.
No more candy until Easter!

I had a mini reese cup and HATED IT!! I used to love them. I didn’t even finish it and it was a mini one. I threw it away. Tried a mini kit kay a few days later and it was good, but had a very processed taste that I never realized before. I would have much rather had a piece of quality dark chocolate.

Excellent point! It is so important to ensure proper nutrition. It can cause all kinds of problems. I will never forget reading a woman's post that all of her teeth fell out. That will ensure that I personally will be stringent on all supplements. I have the Tespo and LOVE IT!

I love my Tespo!!

51 year old woman
VSG DATE: 10/28/17
5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 239
GOAL: Healthy and hard! 140-ish???

I see some people that responded saying they still eat the same foods they ate before, just less. I can't help wondering if that is a bad decision. Everything I have read and researched on successfully maintaining your weight loss says not to do this. I'm not talking about once in a while having a small treat, but really eating the same junk, fast food, processed sugar, ect.. ect..
I'm not sure why you would go through all of this and not take advantage of the opportunity to change your lifestyle and adopt healthier eating habits? Im just asking because I am really curious if many people 2-4 years out are still able to maintain a healthy weight eating junk?

Little over 3 years out, and weigh 110 lbs. I eat pure junk because I can. Has not hurt my maintenance at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 10/15/2017 at 5:58 AM, Finnix said:

Thank you, berry. I just cringe when I see things like this because I wonder if people are aware of the very real dangers.

Here are the Vitamin supplements that I take. The brand is Bariatric Advantage and they are pretty good. I actually look forward to them. The texture and taste are very much like Starbursts. I also take the same brand of Calcium supplements in this same type of chewable but I didn’t have the packaging for those with me. IMG_3342.JPG

As of October 12, 2017, I am 4 months post op and have lost 100 pounds. I have reached my goal weight and could not be more ecstatic!

Thanks for the tip, I ordered these and just started taking them this week.

On 10/2/2017 at 1:11 PM, Brandeis said:

For me, I break a lot of rules -- a lot -- but I break them sparingly, which I think is why I've been so successful thus far. I've had sodas, now and then; full calorie ones, if I do it, because it's a treat that I have only now and then & I know how many calories it is. I eat sweets, but only a very small amount, which is usually enough to satisfy. At parties, etc, I indulge in things I never would at home.

But on the day to day basis, I follow the rules. I no longer sit and eat an ENTIRE THING of oreos. Instead I eat 2.

Abstinence doesn't work, but moderation does....

I agree with Brandeis. I don't totally deny myself anything and will "taste" anything. I believe moderation is the key and there is no harm in sampling a bite or two, just don't over due anything and count your intake. Don't abuse yourself or diet. Always preferring sugarless when it's an option.,

I pretty much break all of them.

I barely took my vitamins... once I could eat I drank and ate together a ton, still do. I eat sugar and junk food and fried food etc. I drink sodas and red bulls and coffee... tons of bread and candy. I eat Bagels every day for Breakfast. I eat donuts in the super market standing in line. I don’t count my calories and I don’t weigh myself either. I don’t work out regularly although I do stay active at work. Nothing too active though. I drink carbonated beverages daily. I use straws lol. (Didn’t even know that was a rule) I eat whenever I am hungry. I have no plan whatsoever. I eat pie. I drink mixed drinks and wine and eat tons of super calorie high cheeses and oils. I snack and graze at times. I really pay no attention to what or how I eat.

My only rule is : I eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m satisfied.

And other than the occasional dumping and stuff getting stuck I am happier than ever. I maintain at what I guess is my “goal” although sometimes I’m a little under it and sometimes a little over it but usually I’m trying to keep weight on me, not off of me. I’m too thin if anything.

@Bellabloom please take your vitamins!!!! There are stories of people who have died a year or more after surgery because their organs just shut down from malnutrition.