Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Post-Sleeve Rules Do You Break?

8 weeks post op. Haven't cheated a day. Too scared to mess things up again. I failed on so many diets before through my own fault. I am very good at self sabotaging. This time I am sticking to the book.

I’m the same

I eat Pasta, bread and rice. Sometimes a slice of pizza, not going to lie. I don't eat them everyday and will not eat them everyday. I used to binge on these foods but not anymore. I am active and always on the move so I'm losing weight and inches (slowly).

I know when to stop eating. This surgery has forever changed the way I view eating and I'm very thankful for that. I eat 3-4 times a day and I usually eat the aforementioned things occasionally. I'm 7 months post op by the way.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Kimba Marie Angelina Wiggins said:

I eat Pasta, bread and rice. Sometimes a slice of pizza, not going to lie. I don't eat them everyday and will not eat them everyday. I used to binge on these foods but not anymore. I am active and always on the move so I'm losing weight and inches (slowly).

I also will eat Pasta, bread and pizza on occasion. Nothing on a regular basis but I look at this as a lifestyle change and coming from a large Italian family it's not practical that I will never eat pasta again in my life. I just make sure to hold myself accountable.

For me, I break a lot of rules -- a lot -- but I break them sparingly, which I think is why I've been so successful thus far. I've had sodas, now and then; full calorie ones, if I do it, because it's a treat that I have only now and then & I know how many calories it is. I eat sweets, but only a very small amount, which is usually enough to satisfy. At parties, etc, I indulge in things I never would at home.

But on the day to day basis, I follow the rules. I no longer sit and eat an ENTIRE THING of oreos. Instead I eat 2.

Abstinence doesn't work, but moderation does....

Drink w/Meals

Do not eat slowly

Do Not chew a lot

Carbonation

Caffeine

coffee

Straws

Fat, lots of Fat

Skipped Purees Phase

I rarely ever drink 64 ounces of Water. Some days but I drink at least 48 ounces of coffee a day

Pretty much stopped following a Bariatric diet at 6 months, I picked my own

Some of the things I do above only work because I track and weigh my food. If you don't do that, then you can't really bend/break the rules.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I'm 2 months since sleeve, I can't drink all the Water, I forget to chew, I drink coffee and tea (it's allowed), I occasionally drink wine and gin and tonic. I never manage all my Proteins.

Had a few diet cokes and La Croix. Flavored seltzer is my weakness and diet Coke was before surgery, though I get little pleasure out of it so I don’t drink much.

I had a few jumping the gun Pinocchio’s (from Washington post gauging Trump’s lies). Had some scrambled eggs a little early and some technically solid but still softer foods early. Barely and sparingly.

Don’t always eat Protein first

I chew gum daily

Use straws

My b complex is gummies

Sometimes eat too fast and chew too little.

Drank once during a meal and got the foamies. Won’t do that again for a while. I’ll drink right up until a meal though.

Got one La Duree macaroon. It was heavenly and 100% worth every gram of sugar.

There’s probably a few more but they’re all pretty minor. I plan on drinking before I’m allowed to. Probably in 2 weeks when I watch football at a bar.

I chew gum!

Two and a half years out: I drink one cup of coffee a day. Many sleevers do a low carb diet, but I don't. My nutritionist actually doesn't want me to do that due to my workout routine. I really think that is about all that I break. I don't do any type of diet. If I want it, I eat it. I do eat every 2 to 3 hours which some say sleevers aren't supposed to, but my nutritionist recommends that for me. I don't wait 30 minutes after a meal to drink Water. I won't drink a lot right after I eat, but I do have a drink of water sometimes.

Fun thread, read through all of the posts and will be repeating some of the things which others said.

I drink right before meals instead of waiting 30 before eating.

I drink at least 3 cups of regular coffee a day.

I eat more than 4 times a day, mostly Snacks such as 2oz turkey meat or almonds.

Every couple of weeks or so, if I am in the mood for it, I have a glass of diet pepsi, since the sleeve, carbonation doesn't bother me at all.

I've had a glass of white wine on several occasions.

Since reaching 220 pounds, I have greatly raised my carbs to 50-80 grams a day, and the weight has been falling off, bringing me to 203lbs as of today.

I weigh myself every day, have done so from day one.

-11 months post op

Edited by mylighthouse

My doctor didn't have a lot of rules regarding diet, just restrictions for healing after surgery (such as straws, cleared to use at 2 weeks, no diet restrictions after 6 weeks). In fact, I remember telling him how I couldn't imagine going the rest of my life without certain foods, and what comforted me most was him saying I can eat whatever I want, I'll just eat less.

I drink pop - full calorie- on occasion.

I don't chew my food a certain number of times (again, this was only suggested to me while still recovering from surgery and to make sure I didn't hurt myself).

I drink liquids up until I eat, but I do wait after or I'll feel miserable.

I eat sweets if I want them. One benefit of surgery is that I can limit how much I eat and many no longer appeal to me.

I eat carbs. My nutritionist actually said I should be eating more carbs than Protein by 6 months.

I'm 9 months out and went from a size 20/22 to an 8, my goal size, though I am going to keep going until at least a 6 and re-evaluate then.

I keep forgetting to ask my surgeon about gum. What's the rationale? Is it the air you intake when you chew gum that's supposedly bad?

My doctor didn't have a lot of rules regarding diet, just restrictions for healing after surgery (such as straws, cleared to use at 2 weeks, no diet restrictions after 6 weeks). In fact, I remember telling him how I couldn't imagine going the rest of my life without certain foods, and what comforted me most was him saying I can eat whatever I want, I'll just eat less.

I drink pop - full calorie- on occasion.

I don't chew my food a certain number of times (again, this was only suggested to me while still recovering from surgery and to make sure I didn't hurt myself).

I drink liquids up until I eat, but I do wait after or I'll feel miserable.

I eat sweets if I want them. One benefit of surgery is that I can limit how much I eat and many no longer appeal to me.

I eat carbs. My nutritionist actually said I should be eating more carbs than Protein by 6 months.

I'm 9 months out and went from a size 20/22 to an 8, my goal size, though I am going to keep going until at least a 6 and re-evaluate then.

To each their own of course, I trust you can make this work.

I, for one, wouldn’t want the OK on many of these, as I expect these (for the first 6-12 months) to be automatically unattractive but the point being to train oneself for after the honeymoon period. For when one will not only be able to eat these but also perhaps remember what their appeal was in the first place.