Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Post-Sleeve Rules Do You Break?

For me it's the no carbonation rule. I have always loved seltzer and now all the flavored no-sweetener, no-sugar La Croix varieties are my go to treats. I don't understand why there's a no carbonation rule, and I've read in some places it's a huge no-no and in others that it doesn't matter. I will not go back to diet drinks, I never really liked them anyway. But that flavored seltzer is sometimes the only thing that keeps me at a good Water intake for the day.

Keep in mind I'm 2.5 years out and have been in maintenance for 1 year.

1. I drink with meals. I don't follow the 30-minute rule.
  2. I've never consumed the recommended 64 ounces of Water a day. On most days I'm lucky to down one 16-ounce bottle of water. Too much water sends me to the toilet every 15 minutes.
  3. I'm a snacker. My favorite Snacks are peanuts, string cheese, turkey sausage, and fruit. Snacking is discouraged in the realm of bariatric surgery.
  4. I don't chew my food 20 times before swallowing.

No comment... Lol....

I'll wait until I'm at least a year out before admitting to some of these!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have started eating small quantities of sweets- like a scoop of sherbet or 2 chip ahoy Cookies. I track everything I put in my mouth and my dr actually said it's ok as long as I follow Protein first and really limit carbs to 25% or less of my caloric intake.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 181 GW 135

I'm supposed to be crushing my blood pressure medication, but it just tastes so bad that I can't do it. It's a small pill, and I've had no trouble swallowing it whole with a sip of my Protein Shake in the morning.

I don't chew my food as much as I should. I eat sweets way too often. I'm really bad about taking my Calcium supplements. I sometimes have carbonation but not often.

I'm four years out and carbonation hurts my sleeve. So I guess I'm the reason it's a rule for some!

I drink caffeine but it's fine on my plan.

I'm another one who doesn't do the drinking/eating together thing. I drink while eating not always but frequently.

"Snacking" is fine on my plan as well or I'd have to admit to breaking that one too. Lol.

I should add i maintain at goal too!

I'm 6 months out. These rule breaks I've done all along.

1. No Protein Shakes. Get Protein through foods and drink.

2. Use straws carefully

3. Consume caffeine.

4. Eat more than 4 times a day.

5. Usually don't get over 64oz fluids

6. Drink up to the meal, but not during or after.

7. I eat more than the recommended carbs each day (fruit, Beans, and potatoes).

8. I eat cake and ice cream at birthday parties.. as much as I want (in a single sitting.. not all day).

I drink both caffeine and carbonation. My go to beverage is unsweetened iced black tea. I drink one every morning.

I will take sips with meals occasionally.

I skip the gym if I just don't feel it that day.

I use straws

I snack between Breakfast and lunch

I drink wine on occassion

On that note though many of these things are allowed per my plan so they are not cheating in my case but other plans might say different.

I've been careful to follow the rules except for one. I need my coffee. I started drinking coffee again about three weeks ago. I'm doing good otherwise.

I drink both caffeine and carbonation. My go to beverage is unsweetened iced black tea. I drink one every morning.
I will take sips with meals occasionally.
I skip the gym if I just don't feel it that day.
I use straws
I snack between breakfast and lunch
I drink wine on occassion
On that note though many of these things are allowed per my plan so they are not cheating in my case but other plans might say different.

Well if we are gonna talk about breaking the rules of other people's plans that's a whole different thing!

I don't think it's cheating if it's allowed by your plan.

14 hours ago, jess9395 said:

Well if we are gonna talk about breaking the rules of other people's plans that's a whole different thing!

I don't think it's cheating if it's allowed by your plan.

Truth! I was just pointing out that all plans are different, some stricter than others. I think from reading these forms my plan is a little looser than some so while it might seems I'm just going crazy off plan to some, I'm sticking pretty close to plan for me.