Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutritionist or Registered Dietitian

This is mainly for people in the United States. I see almost everyone on here referring to their nutritionist. My question are you really seeing a nutritionist and not a registered dietitian, or is it just a terminology error. I'd caution if you are seeing a nutritionist, and not a registered dietitian. There is no actually professional certification for a nutritionist unlikely a registered dietician. A registered dietitian is a board certified professional similar to a doctor or nurse. FYI

Did not know that!

Very true! Too bad the actual experts have the longer, more-syllabic name with the word "DIET" in it. Not as attractive to people.

It may be a matter of semantics. The dietician at the hospital where I had my surgery done at, referred to themselves as bariatric dietitians. They are dietitians that are specialized in dealing with bariatric surgery. They have an RD after their name (which is suspect equates to registered dietician). But I am a layperson and generally refer to them as nutritionist. This is primarily because they deal with more than just going on a diet, but rather with the full range of nutritional requirements including Vitamin intake, Protein intake, Fluid intake.

I have the same thing as James. Mine's with the hospital and is an RD.

It may be a matter of semantics. The dietician at the hospital where I had my surgery done at, referred to themselves as bariatric dietitians. They are dietitians that are specialized in dealing with bariatric surgery. They have an RD after their name (which is suspect equates to registered dietician). But I am a layperson and generally refer to them as nutritionist. This is primarily because they deal with more than just going on a diet, but rather with the full range of nutritional requirements including Vitamin intake, Protein intake, Fluid intake.

That's correct the RD is a registered dietitian, and RDs are educated to deal with more than just diet like you said. My post was informational. The more educated people are the better. Especially when it comes to a nutritionist who may have gotten some online "certification", and is really qualified to help us.

Semantics. My "NUT" is part of the surgeon's team at the bariatric center so assume he is really a registered dietician but frankly I am not going to keep spelling that out when I mention it. NUT is so much easier to type and I assume you all know what I mean?

Semantics... easier to say Nutritionist and I like calling them "Nuts" sometimes! Also while mine are RD's some people's are not so I tend to say "follow the guidelines your surgeon and Nutritionist gave you" because I don't know what each person has or even if they got surgery in the Us.

I tried to get help with my aversion to food due to having STRICTURES and then I became afraid to eat hardly anything even Water sometimes. So I went to a local Counseling group, but she didn't have a clue what I was going thru. So finally, I contacted my Surgeon and ask for a referral to an RD. She was part of the WLS office and was at the Hospital where I had my RNY. Do you what she told me to do? Eat every 1/2 hour that I was awake!!! Now she was talking to a person that had panic attacks when she tried to eat sometimes. I told my hubby that I felt like I traded one eating disorder for the other!! Man, was I terrified that I would gain weight!! I did see one other NUT but that was way before my surgery. So I don't hold much stock in them. WHY would she tell a person to eat so often. I know she thought I was malnutrition but...I wasn't going to gain weight for her. Needless, to say everything worked out after my 5th ENDOSCOPE and Dilation were done. So I guess what I am trying to say, maybe sometimes you need to follow your own path. Use the tool we are given, gather yourself up and do what you need to do.

Absolutely @shedo82773. Frankly, none of them are very good. I am amazed at how bad they are or how they don't "get" us, before surgery and after. They are good for some general guidelines but frankly I find this group much more helpful

9 hours ago, FlyFatA$$Fly said:

mainly for people in the United States. I see almost everyone on here referring to their nutritionist. My question are you really seeing a nutritionist and not a registered dietitian

I am on the other side of the Pacific Ocean ... in eastern Australia. The same nomenclature and classifications apply here.

There's apples and there's other apples when it comes to dietitians.

In 2015, I saw a very young but standard-trained dietitian who was quite right about my problems with portion size but was very much a proponent of eating everything from the late 20th Century's agricultural bounty.

My current dietitian, as part of the weight loss practice is better at accepting less traditional dietary sources and choices but she is singular about using Protein weight-loss shakes from one particular brand.

There are 99% identically composed weight loss shakes that are cheaper. There are also lots of lower sugar protein and weight loss shakes that don't burn my wallet either.

They are both well trained and certified but they have their own trolleys to push, so to speak.

I am on the other side of the Pacific Ocean ... in eastern Australia. The same nomenclature and classifications apply here.

There's apples and there's other apples when it comes to dietitians.

In 2015, I saw a very young but standard-trained dietitian who was quite right about my problems with portion size but was very much a proponent of eating everything from the late 20th Century's agricultural bounty.

My current dietitian, as part of the weight loss practice is better at accepting less traditional dietary sources and choices but she is singular about using Protein weight-loss shakes from one particular brand.

There are 99% identically composed weight loss shakes that are cheaper. There are also lots of lower sugar protein and weight loss shakes that don't burn my wallet either.

They are both well trained and certified but they have their own trolleys to push, so to speak.

It's just like doctors. Some are outstanding, and some are terrible. Do you know what they call the person who graduated last in their med school class? Doctor

Gosh, I'm so sorry you guys struggle(d) with your RDs/Nuts. I really love mine and respect her knowledge and hard work--which is kinda why it's hard to call her a Nut. She works mainly with WLS patients + some with CKD and CLD. And she's been very flexible in helping me find work arounds and practical diet solutions because I eat a low carb diet. She's been very supportive and I can tell, knows her nutrition.

Gosh, I'm so sorry you guys struggle(d) with your RDs/Nuts. I really love mine and respect her knowledge and hard work--which is kinda why it's hard to call her a Nut. She works mainly with WLS patients + some with CKD and CLD. And she's been very flexible in helping me find work arounds and practical diet solutions because I eat a low carb diet. She's been very supportive and I can tell, knows her nutrition.

Same here, my RD is amazing! I travel for a living, and mine helped me learn how to eat in airports and on the road. I lost 40 lbs in my 6 month supervised diet with her help. She still responds to my calls and email.