Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded in 09 and want to have a revision to the sleeve but after testing I may find that I don’t qualify and have to have bypass instead. I’ll definitely do it if I find that it is my only option but the whole rerouting of the intestines thing kind of freaks me out.

Anyone else have similar concerns but now loving the choice of bypass?

I am almost two months out from band (07) to bypass... I fought for years the idea of "re routing" the intestines, which is why I ended up with the band which was nothing but problems from day one. After worsening diabetes, HBP, sleep apnea and gaining all my weight back (while band was unfilled due to it's issues) I finally decided to go for it. I was not a good candidate for sleeve due to past GERD issues, plus as a type II diabetic it is better for bypass... I got over my "re routing" concerns talking to lots of people who were successful (previously I had only heard the bad stuff) and am happy to tell you that I am pleased at this time. I don't feel the same issues I did with the band (the sliming, stuck feeling, etc. and the left shoulder pain I had for 9 years). I am able to eat my portion of food, not feel hungry and am doing well with the weight loss. Best of all, I now take zero insulin, have cut my BP meds by 80%! I was very anti bypass back in 07, but my mind has changed now, I don't think I would have been happy with the sleeve, but each person has different issues that have to be weighed in their decision as to which to do. Good Luck.

My being afraid of bypass is what led me to the disasterous decision to do a band to begin with. I have realized very much the hard way that I should not make medical decisions based on things I am afraid of that I have no expertise whatsoever in and that I should listen to the people who do have the expertise.

I went to my revision doctor wanting the sleeve. He suggested bypass as a better option. Thankfully this time i listened. I ultimately realized this was the best course to take to avoid the risk of yet another revision. And I'm done with bariatric surgery!

He was right and I'm mad at myself for wasting 11 years of my life in denial with the band where I could have just had success and eliminated my health issues in one fell swoop instead of trading them in for The new ones the band caused.

I am almost two months out from band (07) to bypass... I fought for years the idea of "re routing" the intestines, which is why I ended up with the band which was nothing but problems from day one. After worsening diabetes, HBP, sleep apnea and gaining all my weight back (while band was unfilled due to it's issues) I finally decided to go for it. I was not a good candidate for sleeve due to past GERD issues, plus as a type II diabetic it is better for bypass... I got over my "re routing" concerns talking to lots of people who were successful (previously I had only heard the bad stuff) and am happy to tell you that I am pleased at this time. I don't feel the same issues I did with the band (the sliming, stuck feeling, etc. and the left shoulder pain I had for 9 years). I am able to eat my portion of food, not feel hungry and am doing well with the weight loss. Best of all, I now take zero insulin, have cut my BP meds by 80%! I was very anti bypass back in 07, but my mind has changed now, I don't think I would have been happy with the sleeve, but each person has different issues that have to be weighed in their decision as to which to do. Good Luck.

Following!!! I'm 10 years with band nothing but complications. Scheduled for RNY 10/13.

On 9/21/2017 at 6:41 PM, Travelher said:

I'm mad at myself for wasting 11 years of my life in denial with the band where I could have just had success and eliminated my health issues in one fell swoop instead of trading them in for The new ones the band caused.

I echo this!!

Edited by Star Dust

I had been banded in 2009 as well. Had it out Jan.2017. Then had the bypass May 22, 2017. At this time I really feel no different. I am very glad I did the bypass. I have had no dumping and feel great. Weight is very slow coming off but I'm in for the long haul. SO glad the band is out!

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app