Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much can you eat?

I'm 2 weeks post surgery, and I'm concerned because it seems like my stomach is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I normal meal for me is about 1.5 cups of pureed food. This is 12 Fluid ounces. It was my understanding that after the surgery my stomach would be 4-6 ounces. So having a stomach twice as large as I expected is very concerning to me. What does a normal meal look like for the rest of you? How much were you eating when you were 2 weeks post op?

I'm seriously tempted to drink a bunch of Water real fast until I barf, just so I can get an accurate measure of how big my new stomach really is.

I'm 6 weeks post op. I can eat a 5oz container of Greek yogurt. oatmeal, about 3 ounces. meat, about 2.5 ounces.

At first, it wasn't this much. But it depends on the type of food. Nutrient, Protein dense vs slider foods seem to have different results.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Umm.. yeah... you do know that the only thing between you and certain death is a line of staples, right?

Have you ever torn stapled papers apart? Not hard to do, right? How about lets start being cautious with your wounded tummy until it has time to heal. It takes between 6-8 weeks to form the first layer of scar tissue. Until that time, it's possible to create a leak at the staple line. That is why the postop dietary progression is usually 8-9 weeks long.

Drink slowly, measure your purees.. keep it to 4oz. Just because you can consume more doesn't mean you should.

When you get to solid Protein, you'll feel the restriction.. but in the meantime do what you are supposed to do. Curiosity can kill, this early in the game.

At 2 weeks out, I was only eating 4oz of puree. I could have probably eaten a bit more, but stopped there as that was the amount that was advised in my guidelines.

I would keep it at 4oz, which is approximately 1/2 cup of puree per sitting. If you aren't full, it is okay. I doubt you will still feel hunger, but if you do, wait an hour or two and have another 4oz. You just need to get through this phase. Once you start consuming denser foods, you will fill the restriction.

Please don't down Water until you throw up. It might just land you in the hospital.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, Molodyetz said:

I'm seriously tempted to drink a bunch of Water real fast until I barf, just so I can get an accurate measure of how big my new stomach really is.

That's not a great idea. I don't understand why so many people want to test their stomach, especially this early out...you run the risk of leaking at the staple line which could kill you.

I was on liquids for 2 weeks and was maybe able to eat 2oz of puree before I got the hiccups/"full" signal.

pureed foods is basically liquid. Liquids flow through our new stomachs really easy, that's part of why we are only allowed Pureed at this point. Don't test your stomach like that with the Water experiment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's not worth it!!

If you are concerned you can eat too much...than don't eat that much. You will find out how much solids you can handle when you move on to that stage. Liquids just flow through, solids is where the real test will be.

And, I'm saying this with love and support, stop eating 12 ozs of food just because you can. Period. You didn't go through this major life change just to turn around and eat too much. Stick to the 4-6 oz's. Even if you are physically capable of ingesting more liquid than that right now.