Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They say your hunger hormone is basically gone after surgery. I'm 5 days out, I'm still hungry :( I have such a bad sweet tooth right now. I feel like a failure right now. I don't have great self control. [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Ok, for me the post surgical hunger was actually acid in my stomach. I had to double up on my pph pill for the first 3 months. My "hunger" went away.

I had a couple days around 5-6 days post op where I felt very hungry. It was hard, but I just powered through it. When I get the urge to eat something off plan, I slow down and ask myself, "Is eating this going to get me closer to my goals?" If the answer is no (which it always is!) I turn away from the food and engage in doing something other than eating. Good luck and stay strong! Your will is stronger than your appetite!

Once you are on full liquids/your doctor clears it, maybe try no sugar added pudding? I get cravings for sweets and that has helped me to keep it at bay. Also, when you are so soon out from surgery you can remind yourself that serious damage can happen by "falling off the wagon." That thought helped me to stay on track. Try visualizing the staple lines etc. It can get really scary if you stray too far off the path. That being said, you are a human being going through a drastic change. Be kind to yourself!

They say your hunger hormone is basically gone after surgery. I'm 5 days out, I'm still hungry [emoji20] I have such a bad sweet tooth right now. I feel like a failure right now. I don't have great self control. [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

The first few weeks I always felt hungry, but in hindsight I think that was the stomach healing and confused. I'm 7 weeks post op now, but almost never hungry. I still get some mental hunger, but it passes quick.

Well, that hunger doesn't disappear the moment you leave the hospital or anything. It will take time, but you'll get there.

Please stop beating yourself up. That does no good. Instead, become your own best friend. Acknowledge when you've veered from the plan, but don't beat yourself up.

Good luck. You got this!

Jess you've made a life changing decision to have WLS when hungry try getting your mind onto other things and your cravings will go away. You've been given a golden ticket, continue to use it wisely and you'll achieve many personal goals as well as getting healthier for you and your family.

I felt hungry for about 2 weeks after surgery. It sucked but drinking my liquids did help take away the hunger pangs for a bit. I had cravings, especially smelling food and watching other people eat lol, but now I dont get cravings as often. Now almost 3 weeks out I don't feel hungry at all. I have virtually no appetite. I'm on my phase 2 right now and have had oatmeal and creamed Soup but I can only eat like 4 bites before I feel full. Im moving into purees next week but the last few days I've really only drank Water and Protein Shakes to get through the day. I actually need to remind myself to eat lol. I did have cravings for fruit a few days ago and "cheated" a bit and had some watermelon and a cutie. But I literally just chewed it to get the juices and I spit out all the pulp. I dont reccomend doing that but it did help my cravings. I also have these Outshine fruit popsicles that are only 25 calories that are pretty sweet so that may help take away your sweet tooth. Otherwise the only thing you can do is just power through it. Like someone else mentioned, one thing that really kept me from eating was reminding myself I could harm myself and my healing process by eating real food too soon. So keep your goal in mind and just take it day by day, or even hour by hour if you need to lol. This is only temporary.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I still get get hungry and have cravings. I find smelling other peoples food actually helps. I can't eat it ... it will make me sick. But I can smell it. The problem with giving in to the sugar cravings, as those cravings will get stronger every time. I am finding sugar free options where I can (apple sauce, sugar free drinks frozen like a freezie) for those dessert desires. I am on soft food and starting meats now, which are much more satisfying. chicken and swiss chalet gravy.... those are craving I can give in to. Just in very small, slowly eaten ways.

I dont have cravings but I still get hungry. My nutritionist stat it's possibly head hunger or sometimes acid reflux can make your stomach feel like the feeling of hunger but it's just your body getting used to the new amount of food and all the changes. I know that I still get hungry but most times I am not hungry at all. Especially with soft foods
, two bites and I am full.