Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 2 days and I'm feeling nervous and full of fear.

I have been in Paris for the last week, so I haven't had much time to worry over my upcoming surgery date. I arrive home tomorrow at 5pm and my surgery is scheduled for 7:30 am the next morning. I am so afraid that I am going to die during surgery, and can't stop thinking about every worse case scenario. I had the lapband 10 years ago, which worked great for a while, but I eventually had to have another surgery to remove it. I'm worried about the risks from all the scar tissue. Did anyone else have these feelings, and is there any advice to ease my worry?

Some people worry before surgery, others don't. That being said, I have had many operations/procedures which required general anesthesia or an epidural anesthetic (10 at last count). I get nervous before each - I think for me its because I am completely giving up control of the situation and putting myself in the surgeon and anesthesiologist's hands. And that's tough for me because I'm a control freak.

So, it's ok to worry. But know that the likelihood of a surgical mishap is incredibly small. There is a calculator put together by one of the surgeon's groups using all kinds of statistics. Put in your surgery - I made some assumptions - that you were under 65, and had a BMI over 35 (therefore qualifying for a sleeve) and it came up with a 0.1% chance of death due to surgery.

So, by that calculation - it's more dangerous to cross the street. Be careful going to your car! Or flying home. It's ok to have anxiety. It will be fine.

I had lots of anxiety pre surgery (all of them really), and in my case I asked my doctor to prescribe me some anxiety medication. It sounds like you are traveling pre-surgery so that might be an option, but at least know that 1) it's totally normal to be anxious and 2) they put anti-anxiety medication in your IV before wheeling you back which helps tremendously in those last minutes before the operation. Aside from medication, I would recommend downloading some guided meditation, practicing some anti-anxiety breathing exercises (you can find them on Google), and talking it out with friends and family. The statistics are on your side, so try to enjoy the rest of your trip! Good luck!

I was the same way. All thru the journey I thought something was going to stop me from having the surgery. I was just done this past Monday. The 2 days before were very rough. I cried at nothing picked fights with husband and friends. Surgery was really a breeze. You're going to do just fine. The anticipation is worse than the surgery.
I was just discharged today. My only concern is getting shakes and Water in. I feel bloated and full. There really is no pain besides the gas.

I was an absolute wreck before surgery! I was terrified of dying or having a leak or a blood clot that I made myself sick! I had a full blown panic attack while I was waiting to be admitted for my surgery. Just try and believe that the doctors and nurses are going to take very good care of you. You will wake up from this surgery and you will be okay. After I did all my consents, my anesthesiologist gave me a little something for the nerves and I was much better.

You can do this!

Some people worry before surgery, others don't. That being said, I have had many operations/procedures which required general anesthesia or an epidural anesthetic (10 at last count). I get nervous before each - I think for me its because I am completely giving up control of the situation and putting myself in the surgeon and anesthesiologist's hands. And that's tough for me because I'm a control freak.
So, it's ok to worry. But know that the likelihood of a surgical mishap is incredibly small. There is a calculator put together by one of the surgeon's groups using all kinds of statistics. Put in your surgery - I made some assumptions - that you were under 65, and had a BMI over 35 (therefore qualifying for a sleeve) and it came up with a 0.1% chance of death due to surgery.
So, by that calculation - it's more dangerous to cross the street. Be careful going to your car! Or flying home. It's ok to have anxiety. It will be fine.

I think that is my case too. I don't like not being in control, I'm the same way with flying. Thank you for your kind words, and the statistic thing really helped! [emoji4]

I was the same way. All thru the journey I thought something was going to stop me from having the surgery. I was just done this past Monday. The 2 days before were very rough. I cried at nothing picked fights with husband and friends. Surgery was really a breeze. You're going to do just fine. The anticipation is worse than the surgery.
I was just discharged today. My only concern is getting shakes and Water in. I feel bloated and full. There really is no pain besides the gas.

I've been pretty emotional too. Glad your surgery went well, hopefully things will go just a smooth for me. [emoji4]

I had lots of anxiety pre surgery (all of them really), and in my case I asked my doctor to prescribe me some anxiety medication. It sounds like you are traveling pre-surgery so that might be an option, but at least know that 1) it's totally normal to be anxious and 2) they put anti-anxiety medication in your IV before wheeling you back which helps tremendously in those last minutes before the operation. Aside from medication, I would recommend downloading some guided meditation, practicing some anti-anxiety breathing exercises (you can find them on Google), and talking it out with friends and family. The statistics are on your side, so try to enjoy the rest of your trip! Good luck!

I do have Xanax for emergency anxiety attacks, I don't really like to take them, but sometimes it's necessary. I will definitely try the meditation, I have heard it helps. Thank you!

I was an absolute wreck before surgery! I was terrified of dying or having a leak or a blood clot that I made myself sick! I had a full blown panic attack while I was waiting to be admitted for my surgery. Just try and believe that the doctors and nurses are going to take very good care of you. You will wake up from this surgery and you will be okay. After I did all my consents, my anesthesiologist gave me a little something for the nerves and I was much better.
You can do this!

I'm so glad I am not alone in my fears. All of these responses have really helped. I just have to keep telling myself it's going to be fine. I know that I have a greater chance of dying young if I don't have this surgery. After I found out I had type 2 diabetes I knew that I had to do this for my health. I want to live to see my Daughter graduate college, and get married, and take my grandkids to Disneyland! (If I ever get any lol) thanks so much for your words of encouragement [emoji4]

I worried like crazy before the surgery. When it was over, I realized that I had worried for nothing. Yes the gas afterward is not pleasant and a it hurts but other than that, it's really fine. You will be okay and I'll pray for you. Remember to get up and walk and walk and walk.

Well to be honest every emotion possible has come over me from death to blood clots- I truly think it's normal the meditation sounds good- for me I been praying and finding my comfort in God but whatever works give it a try my surgery is Monday as well so I thank everyone for sharing their feelings as well looks like I'm not crazy after all

I worried like crazy before the surgery. When it was over, I realized that I had worried for nothing. Yes the gas afterward is not pleasant and a it hurts but other than that, it's really fine. You will be okay and I'll pray for you. Remember to get up and walk and walk and walk.

I'm still nervous, but I'm feeling better about it. Thank you for your prayers, I appreciate it.

Well to be honest every emotion possible has come over me from death to blood clots- I truly think it's normal the meditation sounds good- for me I been praying and finding my comfort in God but whatever works give it a try my surgery is Monday as well so I thank everyone for sharing their feelings as well looks like I'm not crazy after all

We got this!!! I wish you luck on your Surgery Monday.

OmG! Your story sounds just like mine I had a lap band 10 years ago did great on it lost 100 lbs but it got eroded and infected it was sepsis I nearly DiED so I was so scare from that that all the scar tissue and a leak etc just like you are now. I'm now 3 weeks post op my surgeon did told me that I had a lot he told me A LOT of scar tissue that he removed I'm feeling great just waiting to be clear to work out let me know if you got any questions you will be fine Oh I also have type 2 and a daughter that's why I did it too

OmG! Your story sounds just like mine I had a lap band 10 years ago did great on it lost 100 lbs but it got eroded and infected it was sepsis I nearly DiED so I was so scare from that that all the scar tissue and a leak etc just like you are now. I'm now 3 weeks post op my surgeon did told me that I had a lot he told me A LOT of scar tissue that he removed I'm feeling great just waiting to be clear to work out let me know if you got any questions [emoji4] you will be fine Oh I also have type 2 and a daughter that's why I did it too

Thank you for your kind words. Glad you did well during your surgery. I'm on the way to the hospital now, and feeling so much better about it, after hearing all these stories. I'm ready for the new improved me.