Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Removal Recovery

Hi Everyone,

My Lapland removal was just approved by the insurance company. I was just wondering how the recovery is for the Lapland removal? I am trying to anticipate how many days of work I need to take off.

Thank you in advance

Are you just having the Lap-Band removed or are you converting to a gastric sleeve? I had mine removed as part of the gastric sleeve, and it took a few days for me to feel better. I actually had to go back to work the following Monday and my surgery was on Wednesday.

My removal was pretty uneventful even though I have a lot of scarring from previous revisions. I actually felt better the second I woke up, even though that sounds crazy.

I was resting about a week but I felt so much better not throwing up and having acid reflux after. I had a lot if pain because of all the scar tissue from the band and gallbladder surgery I had.

I am having the lapband removal and then a couple months later I am having the sleeve. I was told they have to be done separately

I'm perplexed why you would have them done at different times. Why would it be better to be put under twice? I had my band revived at same time. Strange....

2 hours ago, Cool-mo-z said:

I'm perplexed why you would have them done at different times. Why would it be better to be put under twice? I had my band revived at same time. Strange....

Mine was done all of a sudden in the er without any time to think about my next step if what surgery to do. Some doctors wait because of scar tissue. I had a ton.

I did mine at different times. My surgeon said it was better to heal first. Also he would have a better idea about how much scar tissue I had before he converted me. He seemed to believe it was safer. It worked out for me bc at first my insurance wasn't going to cover the sleeve and after my band was out thry did!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Also, my removal wasn't bad. Everyone is different but i was down for about 2 weeks. GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my revision from Lapband to Gastric Bypass in the same surgery. It was easy... maybe not for the surgeon but easier for me than 2 separate surgeries, anesthesia, recovery, etc.

My surgeon said if the scar tissue is bad they will do the removal and revision in 2 surgeries 3 months apart. If not it's one surgery 😊

I’m about to do the same thing! Removal and sleeve during same surgery! Phew! Glad to see it’s not terrible! Did you have better results with sleeve?

I had a lap band to sleeve revision 5 weeks ago today. It was way easier than my lap band surgery recovery. I knew what to expect. So I walked and walked and walked and had no gas pain. Also came off meds as soon as I could. No Morphine pump, just the toradol I requested. which is normal administered every 6 hours anyway.

I gave my self two weeks to be up and running, and I can say, the third week out I was still really tired. But functioning.

Best of luck.

Dawn Marie