Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time off?

My surgery is scheduled for Monday the 25th of September. 6 days and counting!!! I own my own business and I'm tying up loose ends and sending out orders. I had anticipated taking a full week off and possibly a second full week off. But in reading people taking a month Off? What is the average recoop time? Being my own boss has it's perks and I can take more time if needed but I can't imaging taking more than 2 weeks.

I took 4 weeks off

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

My paperwork for my job is for 6 weeks. I am scheduled for the 27th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I am scheduled for Monday as well prayers and blessing to you all- praying 2 weeks off only however my sister went back the following weeks and she is doing great

I went back to work yesterday, which was six days after my surgery. I was fine until 1 pm or so, then I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I ended up taking a two hour nap after work. I didn't have pain - just exhaustion.

with that said, it's hard to predict how much time you'll need, because everyone's body is so different and we all react so differently.

I think you'll be fine after a week or two, but give yourself permission to take it easy! You can do this!

Thank you! Bless those surgeons and the medical staff that will operate on everyone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm a consultant/attorney - if I don't bill time I don't get paid. So, my surgery was on Tuesday. I was out of the hospital on Wednesday. I billed 3/4 of a day of time on Friday from home. I was back in the office on Monday. (I'm in the office 2 days a week.) I'm a desk jockey - no lifting, etc. All I do it work a computer and shuffle paper. It really depends on your recovery - your tolerance for the anesthesia, pain control, etc. I didn't use pain meds after I left the hospital. I was able to keep my fluids down with no real problem.

Then again, I was in court 4 weeks after a c-section so, I have a pretty high tolerance for discomfort on so many levels. ;)

I think you'll be managing stuff from your home office by day 3 post op. Best of luck.

As long as you are not doing anything physically strenuous a week will be more than enough. The sooner you switch from narcotics to tylenol (get the adult liquid Tylenol) the sooner you will be ready to get back to work.

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

I was wondering the same. I am a student and missing more than a week would be horrible, I'm praying I can go back asap. I bought a rolling backpack and can take the elevator to classes on upper floors. 🤞🏼

I'm an attorney as well. I have an hour commute to go from house to BART to office. Then I'm attached to the phone and computer all day.
I took 2 weeks off after VSG. I worked from home week 3. I started commuting to office week 4.
I needed a nap by 3pm. I was exhausted in week 3 and week 4. A little less so in weeks 5 and 6. Then I got to eat real food again and it changed everything. I traveled for work in week 7 and then started back with trainer week 8.
For me I think it was more about the low calorie liquid/puree/soft foods than the actual surgery itself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

33 minutes ago, travelergirl said:

I'm an attorney as well. I have an hour commute to go from house to BART to office. Then I'm attached to the phone and computer all day.
I took 2 weeks off after VSG. I worked from home week 3. I started commuting to office week 4.
I needed a nap by 3pm. I was exhausted in week 3 and week 4. A little less so in weeks 5 and 6. Then I got to eat real food again and it changed everything. I traveled for work in week 7 and then started back with trainer week 8.
For me I think it was more about the low calorie liquid/puree/soft foods than the actual surgery itself.

Thanks for this info. I am a legal secretary and was wondering how long I should take off. While I do sit most of the day, I also have an hour commute each way on BART to/from home to office, including 1/2 mile walk each way. I was trying to figure out how much time I should take off. I had hip surgery and took 7 weeks off, but I could have gone back after 4. That surgery is definitely a longer recovery period, but with this one I'm more worried about lacking energy due to the diet. Looks like I should consider at least 4 weeks for this. Also, not having energy and dealing with people on BART every day might push me over the edge LOL.

Edited by jenngetsthin

Jenn...i go from pleasant hill to montgomery. New trains start at PH and I often back track to civic center to get a seat going home. The jostling and balancing on the wobbly train was a concern. I just made sure I had time to wait for next train if needed.

6 hours ago, travelergirl said:

Jenn...i go from pleasant hill to montgomery. New trains start at PH and I often back track to civic center to get a seat going home. The jostling and balancing on the wobbly train was a concern. I just made sure I had time to wait for next train if needed.

Thanks. I go from El Cerrito Plaza to Montgomery. I do sometimes backtrack to Civic Center if it's crowded or I know I really need a seat that day. I don't have to rush home to pick anyone up anymore (one in college, and one walks home now) so that's nice to not have to rush. I normally get a seat in the mornings unless there are delays.