Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HEALTHY Vegan/Vegetarian Recipe Swap and Pics!

@Newme17 those Mary's crackers are SO DARN GOOD. I couldn't believe the first 3 ingredients were rice, flaxseeds, and quinoa! It really goes to show how delicious herbs can make things! And I love how crunchy they are.

@little green, i didnt use a specific recipe. I cooked 2 cups of lentils in low sodium vegetable stock, them sauteed up my vegetables in a pan with some oregano, parsley, garlic and thyme. Combined the lentils and veggies and uses whole wheat flour to make it stick together a little better..(no eggs). After that i places in 12 muffin cups, squirted ketchup on top and baked at 450 for about 15-20 mins

5 minutes ago, blackrosevamp said:

i didnt use a specific recipe

I applaud your commonsense cooking ... just do it.

My wife (after ten years married) still asks, "How can you make such nice meals if you don't use a recipe?"

I just say to her that they are things I've tried before and made minor adjustments to based on ingredients available.

"But how?" she asks, "Mum and I always use recipes or buy a meal base and add meat."

- - -

"Face it," I say, "you married a kitchen genius who seldom has a poor outcome." At this, she #facepalms!

Hello all...made this awesome Soup today. I do not like potatoes in soup, or much of potatoes at all, unless it’s sweet potatoes. But anyway, I used gnocchi instead. Hubby LOVED it and so did I. Yum!

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/11/smoky-potato-chickpea-stew/

E21D9C05-9B36-4D21-B47F-56409B98967A.jpeg

Don't know what people on this thread are regarding as healthy but this is what I made recently:

- cut up tempeh in thick slices and fry it brown in a bit of coconut oil

- add sweet soy sauce and bake until it starts caramelizing

- take tempeh off the pan, add frozen green Beans and cook until done

- add a bit of sate and let it melt

I was too lazy to cook rice so I ate it without, lol.

Edited by summerset

3 hours ago, summerset said:

Don't know what people on this thread are regarding as healthy but this is what I made recently:

- cut up tempeh in thick slices and fry it brown in a bit of coconut oil

- add sweet soy sauce and bake until it starts caramelizing

- take tempeh off the pan, add frozen green Beans and cook until done

- add a bit of sate and let it melt

I was too lazy to cook rice so I ate it without, lol.

I think it’s healthy enough. lol

i still use olive oil and cheese...😁

It's funny when you realized recipes you used all along were plant-based and healthy. Here is the recipe I use for marinara (and it's oil-free!) -

2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 6 oz can Tomato paste
1 tbsp onion powder (or 1 diced yellow onion)
1 tbsp dried minced garlic (or 3 cloves minced garlic)
1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp basil
1/2 tbsp oregano
2 bay leaves
pepper to taste

Cook 6-8 hours in the crockpot until it's reduced and caramelized and your house smells like heaven. Cheaper, tastier, and healthier than jarred sauce! @Newme17 you might recognize it as a Budget Bytes recipe! I found her site 3-4 years ago and this is the recipe I've made the most often.

The texture is a happy medium between chunky marinara and smooth sauce-like marinara. I think crushed tomatoes are absolutely perfect texture-wise, but you can use diced tomatoes for chunkier sauce, or use the immersion blender to make this one totally smooth.

This is not a super sweet spaghetti-style sauce. Personally I never liked spaghetti/tomato sauce because it was too sweet (I know a lot of people actually add white sugar to their spaghetti sauce) and when I tried this recipe I knew I found the right one. The brown sugar just cuts the acidity a bit without adding a bunch of sweetness. Just the right level of tangy tomato-y-ness for me personally. And it has TONS of Vitamin A and lycopene for extra cancer-fighting abilities! Whoop!

Edit - we use this on Pasta almost exclusively, but we have also used it as a sauce for pita pizza and it's a nice texture for dipping too.

Edited by Little Green

cheese shell taco with veggie crumbles and refried Beans for dinner tonight :)

20180116_184017.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/15/2018 at 2:20 PM, Little Green said:

@Newme17 you might recognize it as a Budget Bytes recipe! I found her site 3-4 years ago and this is the recipe I've made the most often.

You had me at Budget Bytes!!! 💗❤️😊😂

thank you for sharing. I’m going to make this just as soon as I buy myself another crockpot! Or I guess I can do it over the stove. I’ve been buying sauce for some of the Pasta dishes I’ve done and never once thought “why not make my own?” Way healthier and yes, less sweet!!!

20180125_191446.jpg

Made crispy garlic parmesan edename for dinner tonight . Doesn't look the prettiest but tastes good. Used this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/150772/crispy-edamame/ and added garlic, tumeric and orrgano for flavor.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:18 PM, blackrosevamp said:

20180125_191446.jpg

Made crispy garlic parmesan edename for dinner tonight . Doesn't look the prettiest but tastes good. Used this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/150772/crispy-edamame/ and added garlic, tumeric and orrgano for flavor.

Thanks for sharing! I think I’ll go ahead and make some of these soon. Sounds yummy.

Today’s dinner is brought to you by Two Peas and Their Pod. Lemon Orzo salad with Asparagus Spinach and Feta. Yum! I made it early cause we’ve got somewhere to be. This way dinner is ready when we get home! Can be warm or cold. Omit the feta and it can be vegan too. Still just as good!

https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/lemon-orzo-salad-with-asparagus-spinach-and-feta/

C284D7A6-E1CB-4EB6-BEA6-ECFB9E474B97.jpeg

I can’t figure out how to post a picture, but we had Roasted Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos with CreamyChipotle Sauce from cookieandkate.com.
They were really good!
Thank you everyone for sharing your great meals!!

On 2/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, mamamac2 said:

I can’t figure out how to post a picture, but we had Roasted Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos with CreamyChipotle Sauce from cookieandkate.com.
They were really good!
Thank you everyone for sharing your great meals!!

Ooh...that sounds delicious. I’m going to look that up. Thanks for sharing!

update...SAVED! It’ll be one of my meals this next week. 😊

Edited by Newme17

5 hours ago, Newme17 said:

Ooh...that sounds delicious. I’m going to look that up. Thanks for sharing!

update...SAVED! It’ll be one of my meals this next week. 😊

I hope you like it! My son ate all of the leftovers so there went my lunch plans. It will definitely be one we make again.