Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HEALTHY Vegan/Vegetarian Recipe Swap and Pics!

Thank you Newme! I looked up that website & the recipes look pretty yummy & Im excited to try some of them sòon!

AGAIN thank you for sharing!

Newme17 you were missed! Hope all is well with you & glad that you're back & sharing veggie recipes as well! :) :780_sparkling_heart:

8 hours ago, OmaJ said:

Newme17 you were missed! Hope all is well with you & glad that you're back & sharing veggie recipes as well! :) :780_sparkling_heart:

Awwww thank you!!!! I think I needed a breather. Once I started reading some other threads I got fed up...just like I did with Facebook (deleted it and haven't been back --been almost 2 years now). So, I'm back, because I need to be reminded and encouraged as well. I'll stick to this thread and maybe a few others that seem to not have so much drama!!! LOL

I've been making some yummy dinners (errr...sorry, my husband has been making them lately...he gets home before me) and I'll for sure be sharing some more. I love having such a HUGE variety of plant based recipes. It's amazing. :)

Hope all is well with you too....and you all!

On 12/19/2017 at 8:21 PM, Newme17 said:

@niseys4 hey there. I apologize for not responding way sooner. I’ve been off the grid, so to speak, for a while. Hon, it was hard for me to make the transition, but I eventually did and I’m so happy I did too. What helped me immensely is using the vegan/vegetarian recipes on www.budgetbytes.com. Such a great site. I think I make about 85% of my meals from there. Check it out!

I’ll do my best to check in more often as well

https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetarian/vegan/

Hi all - thank you for posting this info. Super helpful. My mom had gastric bypass just a month ago and I'm providing her support cooking meals, prepping, etc. Budget Bytes is a wonderful website through which I can find some variety for her. She's in stage 2 pureed foods and cannot stand (and I don't blame her) the notion of pureed meat for Protein. I'm trying to find other healthy, balanced options. Please keep posting if available. I'll be sure to post as I find info as well.

@Newme17, girl you are the bomb dot com. You too, @Apple1. I've been reading through this thread for several days (lots of the "somebody liked a post..." notifications you've been getting are from me! LOL) and I'm finally to the end! I'm so thrilled to find some other bariatric patients eating plant-based. Thank you for sharing your recipes and your passion/knowledge!!! Love it!

I'm reading Proteinaholic now based on your recommendation (as well as reading through that thread so be prepared for more notifications! :lol:).

I haven't searched through the entire forum yet but if y'all haven't read How Not to Die by Dr. Michael Greger, you gotta get on it STAT. It is so thorough, so well-researched and well-cited, and so compelling. It has changed me and my husband to be plant-based and my therapist has ordered it as well. You can also check out his videos on YouTube (NutritionFacts.org) if you can't get the book just yet. (But the book is still the best!)

I'm about six weeks pre-op at this point and planning to eat fully plant-based between now and my liquid diet. Due to the restriction in food volume intake I know I will almost certainly have to supplement with dairy products to hit at least 50g Protein, but I plan to make as much of my protein plant-based as possible. Definitely going to be a lot of pureed Beans and bean chilis until I can eat more!

15 hours ago, Little Green said:

@Newme17, girl you are the bomb dot com. You too, @Apple1. I've been reading through this thread for several days (lots of the "somebody liked a post..." notifications you've been getting are from me! LOL) and I'm finally to the end! I'm so thrilled to find some other bariatric patients eating plant-based. Thank you for sharing your recipes and your passion/knowledge!!! Love it!

I'm reading Proteinaholic now based on your recommendation (as well as reading through that thread so be prepared for more notifications! :lol:).

Thank you Little Green. I agree @Newme17 is the bomb!! lol.

I have been MIA the past month or two, but I do hope to post some more recipes soon.

Hey Newme do you know how to avoid becoming too gassy after eating Beans?

i love beans but Hate the painful gassiness!😁

On 12/28/2017 at 9:49 PM, niseys4 said:

Hey Newme do you know how to avoid becoming too gassy after eating Beans?

i love Beans but Hate the painful gassiness!😁

Usually that gets better the more you eat them, so you might be stuck in a cycle where you don't want to eat them because of the gas but you can't get over the gas because you don't eat them much. I've heard that soaking dry beans overnight before cooking the next day can help reduce the compounds that cause gas. I also saw a video about "Beans, Gas, & You" on YouTube LOL but I haven't watched it yet. It's from the lilykoihawaii channel if you want to look it up!

@niseys4, @Little Green Is absolutely right. The more you eat, the LESS gas you’ll have. Just keep on eating and eventually your body will become immune, so to speak, to the Beans. Black beans are my favorite, I have them quite often and am not gassy either.

@Little Green, thank you hon for your likes and kind words! Like @Apple1, I have been mia a bit l, but am returning to be encouraged and give encouragement again. I love Dr Greger too and regularly go to his website, Nutritionfacts.org for information as well. I’m thankful for him and Dr David for the immense information regarding our health and eating a Whole Foods plant based diet. It’s been quite awesome learning and reaping the benefits of it!

So....I haven’t made a pic, but I made some chipotle portobello oven fajitas tacos today. Soooo good! I used very thin tortillas, but I probably would have been better off with just 1/2 of one or none at all. WAY too filling for me. Check out the recipe!

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/06/chipotle-portobello-oven-fajitas/

Edited by Newme17

Thank you! I have forgotten that you can soak the Beans first. My mom used to soak the dry beans in baking soda for a few hours before cooking them! What about can beans? I thoroughly rinse them but still get the gas. Not as bad though!

17 hours ago, Newme17 said:

@niseys4, @Little Green Is absolutely right. The more you eat, the LESS gas you’ll have. Just keep on eating and eventually your body will become immune, so to speak, to the Beans. Black Beans are my favorite, I have them quite often and am not gassy either.

@Little Green, thank you hon for your likes and kind words! Like @Apple1, I have been mia a bit l, but am returning to be encouraged and give encouragement again. I love Dr Greger too and regularly go to his website, Nutritionfacts.org for information as well. I’m thankful for him and Dr David for the immense information regarding our health and eating a Whole Foods plant based diet. It’s been quite awesome learning and reaping the benefits of it!

So....I haven’t made a pic, but I made some chipotle portobello oven fajitas tacos today. Soooo good! I used very thin tortillas, but I probably would have been better off with just 1/2 of one or none at all. WAY too filling for me. Check out the recipe!

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/06/chipotle-portobello-oven-fajitas/

Thanks for sharing the Chipotle Portobello Oven Fajita recipe, looks delicioso & can't wait to try it!

Good evening y’all. It’s a chilly 30 something outside and a great day for some vegan chili!!! 😁

I used a medium salsa (probably should have used mild) it had quite the kick. I also kind of overmeasure my spices on purpose, but it’s all so tasty. I ate some with a few crackers as well. I actually took pics today. Enjoy!

5D628C86-D272-49B4-8A48-BDDBC7FB092A.jpeg

6484D610-C0AF-444B-9620-45C5CFF02178.jpeg

633E43AD-2042-4952-8112-C9819240C5D9.jpeg

Made some lentil loaf tonight for dinner :)1514943981137.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

We've been traveling all day so here is my on-the-road menu. Keep in mind I am still pre-op so I don't have restrictions yet. At the hotel had a waffle with strawberries, pecans, and walnuts on top plus shared a large plate of fruit with my husband. A few hours later right before we hit the road I had an iced coffee with soy milk, half a banana, and a Kind "Pressed" bar which are whole food fruit bars! They taste like fruit leathers if you've ever had those, but they also have either chia seeds or greens in addition to the fruit. Only "bar" I've ever had that has natural Fiber instead of added chicory root or something. It's so nice to see a bar that has "mango, apple, chia seeds" as the ingredients.

All day on the interstate so a few hours from home we stopped and I got Taco Bell pinto Beans for a snack. The tortillas, beans, potatoes, rice, and guacamole are all plant-based there! You could make a good burrito or burrito bowl out of those ingredients if you needed to eat on the road.

Then when we got home we met my parents for supper at an Italian place. I had minestrone Soup and gnocchi with marinara sauce. I also had a Caesar salad, which wasn't vegan but hey I'm still transitioning, right! Lol.

I'm so new to this way of eating, less than 2 full weeks, but so far I'm happy with the variety! I definitely need to get more greens and more consistent Protein because I am hungry every 2-3 hours right now. I think my stomach might be missing that super full feeling you get from a large animal protein meal. We have been traveling non-stop so not much cooking as been happening but I just got the How Not to Die cookbook and I'm going to try a few things this week!

2 hours ago, blackrosevamp said:

Made some lentil loaf tonight for dinner :)1514943981137.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Omg... recipe?! That looks sooo good.