Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass and Diabetes

I had my surgery on 8/14/17. I am a type 2 diabetic and was told that 97% of patients finish surgery and no longer need medications. In the hospital for the two days after surgery, my blood sugar was normal. Once I got home, it skyrocketed back to 250-300. Before surgery I was on 2,000 mg of metformin and 10 mg of glyburide daily. Has anyone lose experienced this? I am getting fed up because I had the surgery specifically to help with my diabetes. My doctor said he has no idea why my body is being so resistant ... and now I really just want to cry. I've put myself back on metformin which keeps my levels in the lower 200 and I am going to see my primary doctor this week to see what else I should do...

Anyone else have the surgery and have little to no improvement in glucose levels ?

Mhm this is my second pessimistic post today, but have you considered the possibility that you have late onset Type 1 -- not Type 2 diabetes, and the surgery itself was the final trigger?

It sounds like you are just one of the unlucky few :( hopefully even if your diabetes isn't cured, it will be easier to manage...

How long have you been diabetic?

It sounds like you are just one of the unlucky few [emoji20] hopefully even if your diabetes isn't cured, it will be easier to manage...
How long have you been diabetic?

Two years. It was controlled with metformin and glyburide, and while I was in the hospital my blood sugar was never above 150. Now I can't get it below 240 and I'm not eating anything still (I had surgery 4 weeks ago) one of my doctors said that sometimes people go back on meds for a few months but then all of the sudden it will just fall.. I refuse insulin and will never take it no matter what .. but the only reason I had the surgery was for the diabetes.. [emoji17]

Following. I'm scheduled for RNY October 30th and can barely keep my BS levels in check with insulin and an almost all-liquid diet. Someone in this forum said they took a few weeks but finally did go off insulting so it may not happen right away :(

I hope so ... I finally saw a tiny break tonight and my blood sugar was 199... first time it's been under 200 for about 3 weeks now [emoji23]

4 hours ago, BellaItalia088 said:

.. I refuse insulin and will never take it no matter what ..

umm... why not?

umm... why not?

Because my body still produces insulin even if it's not enough at the moment, I won't make my pancreas think it's ok to stop all together .. I will fight it until the very end and I am already looking into getting pancreatic islet cell treatment.

Wow this is scary because all doc reports and testimonies are that no more diabetic meds after surgery. I too an only getting it because of type 2 diabetes. But for some weird reason I had my band removed and my a1c has now dropped to 6.5. Of course 5. Is the magic number so I'm working to get there even before surgery. I only take 500 mg of metformin daily and my doc only put me on that because my a1c had creeped to 7.0! Our bodies are weird so hang in there and pray that it goes in reverse. I'm like you, I refuse to go any further down the diabetic rd of meds, in my opinion it's a dead end road!!

Resting blood glucose levels are known to be high when skipping meals; that's why it's recommended to eat small meals throughout the day. Similar to WLS patients with low caloric and carb intake, your liver will continue to release glucose into the blood stream and may slightly increase the supply as it senses that carbs/cals are low. Yes, you continue to produce insulin but not at the demand your body needs. Once you have healed a little more, everything will balance out. I had the RNY with crazy high numbers the first week. Then it tapered down. Pre-surgery A1C was 7.1 and now I am at 4.1 at 5.5 months out. No more insulin or metformin since a week after surgery. Good luck!

I also had the surgery of course for weight loss but also to get off the diabetes meds. My numbers have been great and the doctors told me not to start any meds until it went over 180 for fasting glucose readings. Well, it's been slowly creeping up and this morning it finally went over that magic 180. Am till on the soft puréed food phase and eat very low carb. Ugh. I am really hoping that I'll start seeing it drop again after my body adjusts more.

Edited by ElectricGypsy

Hang in there. I'd heard most people were off meds before leaving the hospital. I was on 100 units of insulin prior to surgery. I was able to drop it to 20 units when leaving...but it took a full month to get off it completely. I am now off of it. :) I worried also, but it just took me a wee bit longer is all. What a joyful day that was to hear the news that I wouldn't need it.