Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders

Your body needs time to heal. As you get fills and find restriction you should start losing! Congrats!

On 5/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, wish to be slim said:

Hi all so glad a few are around still , I was banded 10/2012 ,but recently started again after having all Fluid removed from band approx 18mths ago , two refills so far , 4mls in 10ml band at present . I had band as wanted less invasive surgery , not been an easy ride but hope this time to reach my goal . Good luck all

Here is a checklist that I use from time to time when I reach a Plateau

WL Plateau Checklist.xlsx

I’m still out here, actually just back recently. May 2006! Basically my band had been infilled for 18mos now and maintaining but always fighting the food battle. Terrible reflux without my pantoprazole but trying to find something else that won’t deteriorate my bones!

Just wondering how long this band can safely be in our body. I have been having trouble getting food down and family doctor recommended to have the band removed since it has been 11 years. Most of the time feel stuck and fear damage to my esophagus. Anybody else have this issue? I was lead to believe you can keep this in your body forever and I have read that this is not the case. HELP!! Waiting for bariatric doctor okay to get this removed.

I too said I would die with this band but when there is an issue like feeling stuck most of the time, it wears on you and it is time to have it removed. I have had the band for 11 years and worry that it also damaged my esophagus. I don't blame anybody but I hope they perfect the band so that this will not happen to anymore people. I believe my band was doomed when over a year ago I had food poisoning and the constant throwing up for over 7 hours probably did more damage than I realized. I never had any fills and kept all my weight off for over 8 years but been having problem getting regular food down the last few years and eating sliders like chips and popcorn since had hard time to get regular food down. Hope I get this out soon with little or no damage.

Hi I had my band put in Nov 2012 , I understood it can stay in forever, I also have had problems on and off but cannot afford to pay to take it out so carry on persevering :( , do wish at times I had had bypass or sleeve instead .

I recently started seeing a doctor that has a handle on the band concept. Before, I was doing yo-yo fills and defills. She explained there is a fine line between under filled and over filled. I had to remove all Fluid because the acid reflux was so bad I couldn’t even sleep. Tests were performed and you could see the first sip of fluid would go down. A big sip of liquid backed up, burped and then went down. Way too tight. The doctor started refilling slowly. Now my latest fill was .1 of a millimeter. Things are getting back on track.

Here...
Just had my unfilled this week due to severe esophagus issues.
Pretty miserable.

I can completely agree , I am so suck of it I am now considering revision surgery to bypass ! I had the band as less invasive surgery but it's not been without it's problems , when I had 5mls in this time I had major problems even with fluids , very frightening and wouldn't wish to repeat . The band for me has been very temperamental which causes stress itself which then affects it , vicious circle .

I had my surgery Friday. I had joined another support group but mostly what I got wasn't support and now I'm freaking out that I might have made the wrong choice. I know that there is a chance that it could go wrong but just two days out of surgery to hear that has me stressing out bad. Has anyone else had this problem?

I agree with wish to be slim everyone’s experience is different. I will have my 12 year band anniversary in September so not very long. I have the original 4 cc band with only 1 cc. Any more than 1 cc for me is too much.

From my experience getting the band was the best decision for my life

Good lucj as you begin your new adventure

I agree...everyone is different. For me I ha e good and bad days. But I also push myself to work out religiously and watch what I eat.

I think the band saved me!

I just had my year two esophagram today. Band is still in original position. No acid reflux. 85lbs down. I have had no problems.

My doctor said that the complications are with people who have smaller bands. I have a 10cc band. I tend to think he is correct because bands are the procedure he performs most often.

On 7/14/2019 at 5:20 PM, Jerrica said:

I had my surgery Friday. I had joined another support group but mostly what I got wasn't support and now I'm freaking out that I might have made the wrong choice. I know that there is a chance that it could go wrong but just two days out of surgery to hear that has me stressing out bad. Has anyone else had this problem?

I had a similar experience pre-surgery. I went to a support group and it was all people who have fallen off the wagon, so to speak. They just told horror stories. It shook me at first, but I realized that all of these people mentioned that they had been non-compliant, either by what they were eating or how much fill they were keeping in their bands. Most importantly, everyone's journey is different and what works for one may not work for another and vice versa. Don't let these people discourage you. Focus just how you are doing. If things feel off, bring your concerns to your doctor instead of a forum. A support group is great for tips and venting, but they become toxic when people who know nothing of your medical history start projecting their experiences onto you. Always keep that in mind.