Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders

I've disappeared too. I've limited myself on this website because I have experienced too many instances of people who elected other procedures critiquing me or other Banders for the procedure that we selected. It's incredibly discouraging when you are on your journey and you have all these people who are telling you that you are going to fail within a few years. I had to spend a lot of time telling myself that other people's experiences are unique to them and that mine is unique to me. If it didn't work for others, that does not mean that it won't work for me. The band was the only option available to me. I have Celiac Disorder, which means that I cannot undergo a malabsorptive procedure. My doctor is still a big believer in the band. He still has his own without problems. It has been 16 months since I was banded. I have lost a decent amount of weight and I am playing the sports that I love.I have no regrets and at most, I have experienced minor inconveniences from time to time.

Hey if it works for You, that is so great. More power to you and I hope for you a good life!😛

13 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Hey if it works for You, that is so great. More power to you and I hope for you a good life!😛

I wish there were more people who shared your opinion.

I will never understand people come on to boards like this and preach. Nobody cares, really. The band worked for me, too, and anybody who has been indoctrinated into to the cult of band naysayers can go suck an egg!

I've disappeared too. I've limited myself on this website because I have experienced too many instances of people who elected other procedures critiquing me or other Banders for the procedure that we selected. It's incredibly discouraging when you are on your journey and you have all these people who are telling you that you are going to fail within a few years. I had to spend a lot of time telling myself that other people's experiences are unique to them and that mine is unique to me. If it didn't work for others, that does not mean that it won't work for me. The band was the only option available to me. I have Celiac Disorder, which means that I cannot undergo a malabsorptive procedure. My doctor is still a big believer in the band. He still has his own without problems. It has been 16 months since I was banded. I have lost a decent amount of weight and I am playing the sports that I love.I have no regrets and at most, I have experienced minor inconveniences from time to time.
Hi! I also have coeliac disease and had my band put in Nov 6, just two weeks ago. Would love to hear your experience of being gluten free with the band.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using BariatricPal mobile app

16 minutes ago, Autumnchange said:

Hi! I also have coeliac disease and had my band put in Nov 6, just two weeks ago. Would love to hear your experience of being gluten free with the band.

Hi Autumnchange!

I can tell you that the biggest change is that I no longer buy gluten-free substitutes (bread, Pasta, ready meals). I always get the food trapped when I try to eat it, so they are completely eliminated from my diet. In reality, that's a good thing because of all of the sodium and sugar they put in those things to preserve them and give the food structure. I would also say that I have had to monitor my Vitamin levels much more closely. I've had my Vitamin D adjusted a few times because I was feeling fatigued. But otherwise, Celiac hasn't played a huge role in the journey. But I credit that to the fact that the band is the only viable option that won't adversely impact our autoimmune response.

I had my removed when I had this surgery done last week. I did amazing on the band lost 100 pounds kept 40 of it off, but the band moved and was vomiting etc so they let out all the fills and I started gaining slowly. It did help me a lot with Portion Control that is for sure. I had the choice fix band or sleeve so I chose sleeve as I do vigorous lifting and it would just move again don’t want constant surgeries

I had my removed when I had this surgery done last week. I did amazing on the band lost 100 pounds kept 40 of it off, but the band moved and was vomiting etc so they let out all the fills and I started gaining slowly. It did help me a lot with Portion Control that is for sure. I had the choice fix band or sleeve so I chose sleeve as I do vigorous lifting and it would just move again don’t want constant surgeries
How long did you have the band before issues arose? When did you have the sleeve done?

Well. Although I do have irritatation issues about 1-2 times per year; I am fortunate to be 12 years banded in December!!
I either go for liquids. Yuck. Or if it persists
A small unfill. Wait months. Gain 5 lbs..
Have it adjusted.. lose 5.
Good luck with issues. It is not an easy road!

I’m a former bandster as mine was removed in October. Mine was placed in 2006 and was never able to be used (long story). My experience was very out of the ordinary and awful. I do hope everyone here does well! It sounds like you are all doing great so far.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:34 PM, Happy Sleever said:

I had it 2 years before issues started. I loved my band and wish it didn’t move. I had removal and sleeve on Nov 14. If I was t so active in lifting it probably wouldn’t of moved. Shame great tool.

Weight lifting caused it to move? Wow... I like body weight training, but haven't weight training since I was on the swim team twenty years ago. I'll keep it in mind.

Hey everyone! Banding on 11/27/18! So excited and scared at the same time. And happy to be joining this forum. We all need each other.

Hi Arhus011!

Don’t worry, you will be fine. It’s a super fast procedure. And you get to look forward to getting off of the pre-op diet! I’ll be thinking of you this week.