Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders

Seems so sluggish in this forum.

Would those of you with bands please just let readers know you are still around? (Hoping)

Thank you.

Ps I do understand sleeves far outnumber us on this board .

I know I've just had my band fitted on Saturday 16-9-17 and I'm desperate for people who can support me, I'm still in agony down my left side gas seems to be shifting I just would like to know if it's normal to still be in pain as I don't think I expected it to be this painful.

Thanks x

I remember the first few days being difficult, but quickly felt better after that.
Congrats on starting a new chapter in your life.
It truly works... if you do your part also.

Hello, recently banded here and am also a little disappointed with the lack of activity going on in the band community here. The first 2 days post op were uncomfortable and when I felt the most pain but like Julie mentioned..I quickly felt like I had returned to "normal". If you are still having this much pain by the time you go for the 1st post op appointment definitely mention it to your wls.

Hi all. Banded 9/14! Notice fewer banders also. Glad to see some live people!!!! Hope all are doing well!

I experienced extreme discomfort on left side. Had read it was likely gas from the co2 that had traveled up into my shoulder and neck. At post op with dr- he said not likely. More likely it was nerve pain (which it felt like!) coming from my diaphragm (had paraesophogeal hiatal hernia repair at same time.) Pain coming from Phrenic nerve that manifests in the neck and shoulder because the nerve starts in neck and runs down to diaphragm.

I did have some bloaty gassy pain in my abdomen, but it resolves about a week after surgery. Nerve pain is also mostly gone.

I’m struggling at the minute I just don’t feel hungry but know if I don’t eat I won’t lose weight but don’t want to eat for the sake of it! [emoji31]

When was your surgery?

16th September I’m due my first fill on 23rd October

Mine was sept 14. First fill oct 26

Hi all -

I remember my first 2 weeks being pretty miserable. I was banded on 12/30/16, and have lost 92 lbs in the last 10 months! Hang in there and it will get better.

Hi guys! I'm so happy to see you all here since yes, this place seems sluggish for banders. I tried over at Bandedliving.com, but it seems sluggish overall, too. I was able to follow them on FB, and that just doesn't seem like the right forum for it, either. Ah well.

I got banded on 11/10/17. No real issues here except that my band doesn't seem like it's restricting my eating any. I've managed to lose weight anyway - mostly on decreasing my intake and better food choices (low carb). But I want to have the band tightened to where it's an actual, useful tool. Otherwise what was the point of getting it, ya know?

I was on liquids for 6 days following surgery, then straight back onto solids. I haven't had even one incident of nausea or vomiting. I do occasionally get food stuck, which is painful and scary. But it's always okay in the end. I'm in Chicagoland in Illinois, in the U.S. I'm married, have 4 kids (all teens and young adults), and work full time. I've followed you all so that hopefully we can get more action and support.

I go by Kel, by the way.

I have been doing a lot of research; it seems that their is a recent publication by The Journal of the American Medical Association ("JAMA") discouraging lap band surgery, but is in favor of the "sleeve".

I've read the article several times, but still didn't really agree with their stance.

My lap band DID slip in May 2016 and I had to have a "revision" surgery to put my lap band back in place. Honestly, I don't have any regrets about the surgery and I would certainly do it again.

Good luck to you "newbies" ***smiles***

I don't agree with their stance, either. The study they base this on was skewed; it was a very small group that was all from one area, and the devices are from so long ago that major improvements have been made in the materials used. On top of that, the surgeries they followed are from the very beginning of the lap-band approval time period, meaning that any doctor putting them in wouldn't have had a lot of experience. The need for removal can be from the surgeon placing the device improperly alone - so studying patients only from one area ups that chance.

In the end, lap-band patients are safer overall from major complications than sleeve or bypass patients. And over a 5-year span, their loss of excess weight is about the same. Sleeve and bypass patients lose faster than lap-band patients, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Slow and steady is a good thing - especially for your skin and bouncing back. Also for lifestyle change.

One of the things my doctor said to me was that if this doesn't work, then we look at other more drastic options later. If you go in with a splinter, they don't consider amputating the finger - they look at the smallest fix first. If the finger becomes infected beyond control, then you look at the larger, more drastic options. You don't jump ahead to something more dangerous and more permanent when you could do something safer and easier and get the same long-term results. That's my end game - permanent, long-term change. I'm willing to do it a bit at a time. I certainly didn't put all the weigh ton overnight. It seems foolish to try to take it off that way.

I don't begrudge anyone taking a chance on the more serious sleeve or bypass - to each his own. I just felt like stomach amputation was a bit extreme as a first step. I wanted something that could be a great tool - not something that I couldn't make choices with. I'm happy so far with my decision.