Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food supplement

I'm 19 days post op and I can't even walk around my house easily. I called my surgeon and talked to him and he told me I have to eat to get energy and be able to walk normally. Problem is I can't eat anything at all, maybe a small bite of something and then I feel bloated for two or more hours.

Can I cheat food with anything? Something that will give me energy.

8 minutes ago, FMGF said:

Can I cheat food with anything?

Warning bells.

Talk to your dietitian from your pre-op/post-op surgery days. Advise your surgeon's reception team of your worries ASAP.

Did your DR seem to be unconcerned? I think you should talk to them thoroughly, explain how it feels when you drink or eat. I am not a DR but I would try to get more Protein in ( maybe one that you make yourself) if this continues I would make an appointment to see him right away. Getting enough protein and fluids will help with you getting around. Please take care. Keep us posted about how you are doing.

Drink milk and broth and a little watered-down juice. Don't worry about eating yet, you just need to get your energy from liquids.

In general, the three most important elements after weight loss surgery are to meet your daily protein, Fluid and vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. So how are you doing in these 3 areas?

Being lethargic after surgery can be cause by several items, such as low Iron, lack of B12 Vitamin, and a number of other issues. In some people that were taking prescription medicines for diabetes, they find that their blood sugar levels are dropping to the point that they experience hypoglycemia and they need to adjust their medication. Blood sugar levels can get so low that they faint. The same can be true for individuals taking blood pressure medicine.

After surgery, many people find that it is difficult to meet their Protein and fluid requirements. That is because their stomach is in a major heal mode. But if they keep trying to reach their goal after a few weeks they can get there.

Agreed with everything everyone said. This happened to me too, but my surgeon said to get full sugar Gatorade (I got the natural, Whole Foods brand) and drink veggie broth. It helped me within a few minutes! So maybe ask them if you can try it?

So, maybe try to find something with the most bang for your buck. Protein Water, milk, Bone Broth, or drinkable/thinned yogurt can all give you calories and nutrients, including protein. Keep trying different stuff till you find something you tolerate better. It also helps me to walk right after I eat. Seems to help things move instead of feeling like a rock.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app