Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Young, Short + Female

SLEEVED 19/9/17

Well...I got sleeved! I am still in hospital just waiting for my doctor to come and visit me today. I got sleeved on the afternoon of Tuesday 19th September, and it is currently 12pm on the afternoon of Friday 22nd September - so I am almost 3 full days out - or almost exactly 72 hours.

I thought I would take you through my experience!

TUESDAY 19th - I got to the hospital at 12.30pm for admission and went in around 3.30pm. I was lucky to have a lovely private room with a big window onto a garden, and I got to check in and sort all my stuff out while I waited. I was given the first of 4 anti-embolism injections in my thigh and it hurt.

Tuesday night I was post surgery, I told the nurse in recovery that I felt nauseous and she loaded me up on anti-nausea. My whole family was there when I got wheeled back into my room but I barely remember it as I was so spaced out on drugs.

During the night I had to get up to go to the toilet a few times and it was painful because of my stomach. I was on morphine, though, so I noticed this less than the night after and I got loads of help from the lovely nurses. All was well.

WEDNESDAY 20th - This was my worst day in terms of the recovery so far. This is probably a good sign though - aka every single day I have woken up, I have felt better.

When I was laying in my bed I felt ok. I was dosed up on intravenous panadol, IV fluids, IV anti-nausea and at night an anti-reflux med. Also another painful thigh injection for the anti-embolism.

I truly did feel ok in bed, but the difference with Wednesday was that the surgery meds had worn off and I felt the pain in my stomach more. It was not internal pain - it was - and remains - external muscular pain. Imagine your personal trainer makes you do 2000 sit ups. That is what you are dealing with. Getting into and out of bed to go to the toilet was dreadful - but once back in bed I really couldn't complain. I was full of gas from the operation and this made it really difficult to breathe while I did simple things like walk 2 meters to the toilet.

The other gross aspect to Wednesday was my 'swallow x-ray'. I was wheeled in a wheelchair to the Radiology department whereupon I promptly informed the nurse that I was not feeling my best. She vowed to only make me stand up for the shortest possible time. I was then given a shot glass of milky liquid which tasted a bit like liquorice - but not in a good way - told to swallow some and get on the X-ray platform to stand. The doctor came in and they started taking pictures. This was a disaster. I only lasted about 50 seconds before I almost fainted and asked to be sat back in my chair. A look of genuine concern crossed the face of the doctor and he had me promptly sent back to bed - saying we would try again tomorrow. LEARN FROM THIS - I KNEW it was too soon and I went for it anyway. Don't. Tell the nurses if you aren't feeling up to something. Take your recovery at your own pace.

After this, it was more of the same in terms of bed/toilet trips. I did not sleep well that night...I stupidly did not ask for morphine so I just had IV panadol but the pain wasn't the issue. It was a feeling of discomfort and helplessness.

THURSDAY 21st - Yesterday was a mixed bag.

On the negative side, it was when serious cabin-fever really began to sink in. I just wanted to be well and get out of my room. I am sick and tired of feeling pain when I launch myself out of bed and I resented my guests for their mobility. I knew I had two nights to go in the hospital and I just was not happy.

On the positive, it was when I started to feel better. I had my first shower and new sheets - life-changing. I first began to really notice how gassed up I am. I was absolutely full of gas - and trying to fart or burp it out was difficult. I needed to walk around, which my mum assisted me with and which really helped. I started liquids - just sips of Water. This also helped move the gas. I began to feel less tight in the abdomen and I could breathe better.

NOTE: If you are getting excruciating pain in your shoulder, it's the gas!!!! get them to give you a heat pack for it - it really, really helps.

Last night I also asked for morphine to help me sleep - this was another huge win as I really did sleep and sleep does so much for recovery. I was out cold by 10pm and woke up only once or twice before 8am.

FRIDAY 22nd - So far, so good. Another shower - new sheets again - and I am not back in civilian pyjamas. The sun is out, my window is open for fresh air and I have some flowers. Life is beginning to look like it could go back to 'normal' again. I am in a pretty good mood.

A lot more gas left me last night...so I feel less stuffed. I am sipping apple juice and water and it makes an unpleasant bubbling of gas in my belly....is this normal??

I am on fewer drugs - just anti-nausea which I barely needed and I am still on my IV fluids. They are making moves to remove certain bits and pieces from my care, so I know they are preparing to let me leave....probably tomorrow I would say.

There is some talk of only letting me go if I have had a bowel movement....is this normal? I wouldn't have thought I had much in there to come out....

SLEEVED 19/9/17
Well...I got sleeved! I am still in hospital just waiting for my doctor to come and visit me today. I got sleeved on the afternoon of Tuesday 19th September, and it is currently 12pm on the afternoon of Friday 22nd September - so I am almost 3 full days out - or almost exactly 72 hours.
I thought I would take you through my experience!
TUESDAY 19th - I got to the hospital at 12.30pm for admission and went in around 3.30pm. I was lucky to have a lovely private room with a big window onto a garden, and I got to check in and sort all my stuff out while I waited. I was given the first of 4 anti-embolism injections in my thigh and it hurt.
Tuesday night I was post surgery, I told the nurse in recovery that I felt nauseous and she loaded me up on anti-nausea. My whole family was there when I got wheeled back into my room but I barely remember it as I was so spaced out on drugs.
During the night I had to get up to go to the toilet a few times and it was painful because of my stomach. I was on morphine, though, so I noticed this less than the night after and I got loads of help from the lovely nurses. All was well.

WEDNESDAY 20th - This was my worst day in terms of the recovery so far. This is probably a good sign though - aka every single day I have woken up, I have felt better.
When I was laying in my bed I felt ok. I was dosed up on intravenous panadol, IV fluids, IV anti-nausea and at night an anti-reflux med. Also another painful thigh injection for the anti-embolism.
I truly did feel ok in bed, but the difference with Wednesday was that the surgery meds had worn off and I felt the pain in my stomach more. It was not internal pain - it was - and remains - external muscular pain. Imagine your personal trainer makes you do 2000 sit ups. That is what you are dealing with. Getting into and out of bed to go to the toilet was dreadful - but once back in bed I really couldn't complain. I was full of gas from the operation and this made it really difficult to breathe while I did simple things like walk 2 meters to the toilet.
The other gross aspect to Wednesday was my 'swallow x-ray'. I was wheeled in a wheelchair to the Radiology department whereupon I promptly informed the nurse that I was not feeling my best. She vowed to only make me stand up for the shortest possible time. I was then given a shot glass of milky liquid which tasted a bit like liquorice - but not in a good way - told to swallow some and get on the X-ray platform to stand. The doctor came in and they started taking pictures. This was a disaster. I only lasted about 50 seconds before I almost fainted and asked to be sat back in my chair. A look of genuine concern crossed the face of the doctor and he had me promptly sent back to bed - saying we would try again tomorrow. LEARN FROM THIS - I KNEW it was too soon and I went for it anyway. Don't. Tell the nurses if you aren't feeling up to something. Take your recovery at your own pace.
After this, it was more of the same in terms of bed/toilet trips. I did not sleep well that night...I stupidly did not ask for morphine so I just had IV panadol but the pain wasn't the issue. It was a feeling of discomfort and helplessness.

THURSDAY 21st - Yesterday was a mixed bag.
On the negative side, it was when serious cabin-fever really began to sink in. I just wanted to be well and get out of my room. I am sick and tired of feeling pain when I launch myself out of bed and I resented my guests for their mobility. I knew I had two nights to go in the hospital and I just was not happy.
On the positive, it was when I started to feel better. I had my first shower and new sheets - life-changing. I first began to really notice how gassed up I am. I was absolutely full of gas - and trying to fart or burp it out was difficult. I needed to walk around, which my mum assisted me with and which really helped. I started liquids - just sips of Water. This also helped move the gas. I began to feel less tight in the abdomen and I could breathe better.
NOTE: If you are getting excruciating pain in your shoulder, it's the gas!!!! get them to give you a heat pack for it - it really, really helps.
Last night I also asked for morphine to help me sleep - this was another huge win as I really did sleep and sleep does so much for recovery. I was out cold by 10pm and woke up only once or twice before 8am.

FRIDAY 22nd - So far, so good. Another shower - new sheets again - and I am not back in civilian pyjamas. The sun is out, my window is open for fresh air and I have some flowers. Life is beginning to look like it could go back to 'normal' again. I am in a pretty good mood.
A lot more gas left me last night...so I feel less stuffed. I am sipping apple juice and water and it makes an unpleasant bubbling of gas in my belly....is this normal??
I am on fewer drugs - just anti-nausea which I barely needed and I am still on my IV fluids. They are making moves to remove certain bits and pieces from my care, so I know they are preparing to let me leave....probably tomorrow I would say.
There is some talk of only letting me go if I have had a bowel movement....is this normal? I wouldn't have thought I had much in there to come out....

Thank you for your details of the first few days. They have been a great read. This is the kind of information I've been searching for. I'm scheduled to be sleeved on 10/3, and all I want are real accounts of what I may or may not expect. I do hope you are home safely and feeling better.

Ok so it is Monday morning and I am up, dressed and at home. 6 days in.

I came home from the hospital on Saturday morning - which was a total of 4 nights and 3 full days - largely in bed.

I really laid low on the weekend, again mostly in bed slightly propped up. However, I felt SO MUCH BETTER because I could shower in my own bathroom, wash my hair and get in to clean sheets in my own bed. I can only do things slowly as I am in pain from the internal bruising on my stomach and I am not eating much so I feel a bit weak, but I just combat this by showering/doing other tasks gently. Slowly does it! I did, however, manage very easily to go for a manicure-pedicure with my friend on Sunday and a short coffee break afterwards - I had a glass of Water. It was a good entry-level activity and I think getting out and about was really good for morale!

Again, every day is getting better and better. I am finding I can manage different types of juice and my ability to swallow and not have massive bubbles of air and grumbling in the stomach is getting better, too. I can even take two big sips now - so water consumption has increased, which is a win.

As for pain, I am simply taking 1-2 panadeine forte (strong but only over the counter) in the morning...so I am not really on pain medication at all. Amazing, really. I would still describe it as having done 10000000 sit ups. My right side - where the drain was - is more painful than my left. Mobility is much better today.

I would therefore say that by tomorrow - which will be exactly a week since the operation in the evening - I will be in pretty damn good shape. I won't be lifting anything heavy anytime soon, and I won't be running a mile or doing anything too taxing at all - but I am doing my work on the computer, emails, etc...I am perfectly capable of my tasks.

I think the main thing now is I am noticing hunger because of my reduced options (liquid diet only) and I have noticed I have started to crave yummy foods again. I imagine I will go through the customary food-mourning-period, as I am addicted to yummy things. It will be hard but I will get through it!

I will weigh myself tomorrow - 1 week out - let's see what happens!

I am enjoying your updates, this is the kind of information I've been conjuring in my mind- reality is much less scary!!! My surgery is October 17 - can't wait!!!

I like reading about your journey. I'll admit though, it does make me fearful of only getting one night in the hospital.

Hi all,

Well, it's been a while! It is currently Sunday night and I am therefore heading up to my 3 week date (Tuesday afternoon).

I have no had any pain at all in my abdomen for about a week. Prior to that, I was experiencing general pain on my right hand side when I stood up from laying down or picked up anything heavy. It was not bad enough pain to even take a Panadol (Advil) and as such was entirely manageable.

My scars (5 of them) are healing well, they have scabbed over and I am using BioOil on them morning and night after I shower. I imagine they will be largely invisible in a few months.

I have largely been on liquids/soups/protein shakes diet wise. I have had a few nights were friends have been over + one birthday where I have had incredibly small quantities of 'normal' food. This has included a couple of slices of salami or cheese, and on another occasion a bite of pizza etc. Both times this has occurred I have felt full incredibly quickly and have felt a strong rise of air in my throat....it was not burping, merely air rising and bubbling up - sometimes this descended into hiccups. Is this normal?

In terms of weight, I have lost about 7.8kg (about 17 pounds)...so I am not unhappy at all with that. I hope that by next week (the 4 week anniversary) I will have lost 10kg (22 pounds).

Did anyone else have the air in their throat? Does it get better???

I couldn't say whether its normal since I didn't break my diet during the healing period. The thickest thing I ate for the first 3 weeks was yogurt.

pizza? Salami? These are not just dangerous to an operated-on stomach, but should largely be off diet for the duration of your weight loss period. And if you hope to keep the weight off, those types of foods have to be limited long-term.

This is a hard time. You are trying to recover from major surgery and learn a new lifestyle, all at the same time.

20% of patients regain a significant amount of the weight they lost in the first year postop. For good long term results, you have to work on what goes on your plate, not just how much.

yes.. when i eat i get a rush of air through my throat and i burp a lot. im glad to read im not the only one

15 hours ago, Berry78 said:

I couldn't say whether its normal since I didn't break my diet during the healing period. The thickest thing I ate for the first 3 weeks was yogurt.

pizza? Salami? These are not just dangerous to an operated-on stomach, but should largely be off diet for the duration of your weight loss period. And if you hope to keep the weight off, those types of foods have to be limited long-term.

This is a hard time. You are trying to recover from major surgery and learn a new lifestyle, all at the same time.

20% of patients regain a significant amount of the weight they lost in the first year postop. For good long term results, you have to work on what goes on your plate, not just how much.

While I definitely agree about the bite of pizza, the salami and shredded cheese I checked my advice sheet before I ate them...I was advised that the only meat I COULD eat during this period was 'cold cuts' aka cured meat. Was this the wrong advice?

5 hours ago, Macy Gray said:

yes.. when i eat i get a rush of air through my throat and i burp a lot. im glad to read im not the only one

How long since your surgery?

On 26 September 2017 at 1:22 AM, Nancy MBGC said:

I like reading about your journey. I'll admit though, it does make me fearful of only getting one night in the hospital.

When is your surgery? Good luck!

On 19 September 2017 at 6:49 AM, Nurse77 said:

Good luck to you my friend. I am also scheduled to have my VSG tomorrow (9/19/17)

How are you going with it all?

Because I'm having a revision from the original stomach stapling error, my doctor tells me that my surgery will be 6 or more hours. He's praying he can get this done and get an RNY. If he can't and I go through all this I just don't know what I'm going to do. I would appreciate prayers!

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all,

Well, it's been a while! It is currently Sunday night and I am therefore heading up to my 3 week date (Tuesday afternoon).
I have no had any pain at all in my abdomen for about a week. Prior to that, I was experiencing general pain on my right hand side when I stood up from laying down or picked up anything heavy. It was not bad enough pain to even take a Panadol (Advil) and as such was entirely manageable.
My scars (5 of them) are healing well, they have scabbed over and I am using BioOil on them morning and night after I shower. I imagine they will be largely invisible in a few months.
I have largely been on liquids/soups/protein shakes diet wise. I have had a few nights were friends have been over + one birthday where I have had incredibly small quantities of 'normal' food. This has included a couple of slices of salami or cheese, and on another occasion a bite of pizza etc. Both times this has occurred I have felt full incredibly quickly and have felt a strong rise of air in my throat....it was not burping, merely air rising and bubbling up - sometimes this descended into hiccups. Is this normal?
In terms of weight, I have lost about 7.8kg (about 17 pounds)...so I am not unhappy at all with that. I hope that by next week (the 4 week anniversary) I will have lost 10kg (22 pounds).
Did anyone else have the air in their throat? Does it get better???

Yes, I get air in my throats and I am also 3 weeks out

Mazz

5 hours ago, ahsleeve said:

I was advised that the only meat I COULD eat during this period was 'cold cuts' aka cured meat. Was this the wrong advice?

Ok, I see. Well, I'm not really sure if they meant salami or something like chicken lunch meat. You should ask for clarification.

Personally, I would think salami would be a bit hard to digest, and if it's spiced, eek! Lol.

I was curious, so made up a list of fatty meats' protein/fat content (in 100g.. 3.5oz)

Meat. Protein g./Fat g.

Salami. 22/26

Hot dog. 10/26

chicken thigh with skin 24/8

Babyback ribs. 20/18. (Yes, salami has more fat than ribs!)

Part skim mozzarrella. 24/16

Center slice ham. 20/13

Ribeye. 24/22

Bologna. 15/20

Some lowfat options:

Chicken or turkey lunch meat: 17/2

tuna 30/6

--------

Big picture/long term:

It's not that fat is necessarily bad, but it does have a lot of calories. If we have high protein goals and like to eat fatty sources of protein, then we may find it difficult to meet our calorie goals.

If you go on a ketogenic diet, then to a point, the more fat, the better. But even then, there is the question of healthy fats/vs. unhealthy fats. (A lot of authors believe processed meats.. aka salami, hot dogs, bologna... to contain unhealthy fats).

So, it's a complicated issue, to be sure, but one worth investigating. After all, what comes naturally to us may possibly be wrong, since its what got us into this mess in the first place ;)

Ask your team what exactly they meant by coldcut. And if they ARE talking about these processed meats, it may just be temporary until you can eat solids.