Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

iron and stomach issues, please help?

hi everybody, I'm pre op and had my labs done and I am extremely anemic. My doctor prescribed 2 Iron pills(chewable), 1 in the morning and 1 at night. They are causing major stomach issues, cramps and nausea. Any suggestions to stop these awful stomach issues?

Sent from my SM-S907VL using BariatricPal mobile app

According to the internet

Iron is absorbed the best on an empty stomach. Yet, Iron supplements can cause stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea in some people. You may need to take iron with a small amount of food to avoid this problem. Milk, Calcium and antacids should NOT be taken at the same time as iron supplements.

This link may be of some help.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007478.htm

According to the internet
Iron is absorbed the best on an empty stomach. Yet, Iron supplements can cause stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea in some people. You may need to take iron with a small amount of food to avoid this problem. Milk, Calcium and antacids should NOT be taken at the same time as iron supplements.
This link may be of some help.
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007478.htm

thank you, I'll check it out!

some Iron versions are really hard on people's stomachs. I guess since he prescribed them, you may be stuck with them - but you could ask. I take carbonyl iron, and it's really easy on my stomach. A lot of people like heme iron, too, for that reason - but heme is pretty pricey.

p.s. those are both over-the-counter

The Iron I was on, after going vegan made me super anemic, gave me some GERD. I had my script changed to slow release iron, it works in the intestine not the stomach. Problem solved. Also less Constipation.

Ask your dr for the coated iron.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

p.s. those are both over-the-counter

some Iron versions are really hard on people's stomachs. I guess since he prescribed them, you may be stuck with them - but you could ask. I take carbonyl iron, and it's really easy on my stomach. A lot of people like heme iron, too, for that reason - but heme is pretty pricey.

Thank you for replying! I'll speak with my doctor on Monday!

The Iron I was on, after going vegan made me super anemic, gave me some GERD. I had my script changed to slow release iron, it works in the intestine not the stomach. Problem solved. Also less Constipation.< br> Ask your dr for the coated iron.

thanks! I will speak with him and use these suggestions.

I had the same problem with ALL Iron supplements, My Doctor finally had me get an iron infusion. That was around 10 months ago and My iron level is good, I probably will need to get another one done when my iron levels drop, I've been anemic all my life.

I had the same problem with ALL Iron supplements, My Doctor finally had me get an iron infusion. That was around 10 months ago and My iron level is good, I probably will need to get another one done when my iron levels drop, I've been anemic all my life.

thank you for responding! IV infusion, oh crap...lol, that'd be just my luck! [emoji38]

Check which kind of Iron supplement (the specific chemical) you are taking.

Ferrous Sulphate is usually cheapest and can cause all kinds of GI issues. Ferrous Gluconate and Ferrous Fumarate are both tolerated much better.

Obviously talk to your Dr and not some random dude on the internet. That said, try the smallest dose you can manage without being sick. Break the pill into pieces if necessary. Take that for a few day and then try increasing the dose. Repeat until you are the right dose.,. or puking again :(

Lastly, some Iron supplements come with Vitamin C. This is good as Vit C improves absorption.... but maybe you don't tolerate the two combined? Try it without and see what happens.

Imho, Iron infusions are the most effective way to increase your iron if you are critically low. My doctors at Dana Farber told me repeatedly that it is very very difficult to raise iron a significant amount orally.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using BariatricPal mobile app