Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Current self-image before surgery

This is my first post, and it may be an odd question...

I have my first appointment with my surgeon on 9/21 to decide what kind of surgery I want to do, the sleeve or bypass. I likely will do bypass but want to hear his recommendation.

I have some image problems related to my weight, which I am sure many of us have and had and I'm definitely not my issues are any different than anyone else's but I will have to wait at least 6 months for the surgery and that's probably for the better as I will meet with the nutritionist and have several appointments to check in with the doctor before the big day. Right now, at the weight I am at, I just feel like it's such a long way off and I'm just a "Before Picture" right now and everyone sees me that way (no one knows I'm getting this except for a select few). My weight has always bothered me and I've been up and down with it all my life. I just hate that I'm here with the weight until then, I'm so eager to get rid of it and start over.

Anyone else feel that way?

I had to do six months also. It actually turned into almost a year from the start of the process. It flew by to be honest. And then i was on the other side and lost 24lbs the first month. Now im less than 20lbs from a normal bmi. I can't wrap my head around it most times. I still feel the same and feel that people still see me at my heaviest but they don't. I can't help but feel that everyone knows i was fat and judging me but its in my head. You'll get there hun. Just make sure you get the mental help on board sooner than later. It'll help loads. I know your anxious to get it over with. We all were lol. But enjoy having your full stomach while you can. I don't think many people here will tell you this, but before you start any intense pre op diet just enjoy eating, enjoy life, enjoy your normal stomach. No matter how much you need or want this, your going to miss your old stomach. But it's SO worth it. You'll be fine. This is a marathon. Just remember to breath and hang in there. It'll happen in no time. I hope i could help you feel a bit better. Sorry this was so long[emoji28]

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hello! This is also my first post and I feel the same exact way. I can't wait to be able to look at my 'After' picture and pat my self in the back for having come all this way. When I first considered the surgery, I couldn't help but wonder what my friends and family were going to say. I kept thinking they would complain about how i'm "taking the easy way out" or that I'll never actually succeed with this. I think the best thing to do at this stage is to engage in conversation with friends and family about the journey we are about to embark in. For me, it took my first appointment with my surgeon and the psychologist to realize its completely okay to talk openly about my weight. I think at this point a good support team is what makes that 'After' picture an attainable goal.

I thought the 6 months would never pass. But it gave me a lot of time to research and wrap my head around the problem. My surgery is scheduled for November 15.

On the subject of pre surgery stomach. I will own the fact that yesterday I ate half a cheesecake. Never done that before but in two months my stomach is being removed so ...

My biggest fear is I will have surgery and not lose any weight.

I thought the 6 months would never pass. But it gave me a lot of time to research and wrap my head around the problem. My surgery is scheduled for November 15.

On the subject of pre surgery stomach. I will own the fact that yesterday I ate half a cheesecake. Never done that before but in two months my stomach is being removed so ...

My biggest fear is I will have surgery and not lose any weight.

I also share the same fear that I will not lose enough weight, particularly not get to my goal weight- I refuse to operate in the place of fear.
My surgery date is on 24 November.
It's been a long time coming as I am self financing. I look forward to it!
I enthusiastically look foward to having 'after' pictures.

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

I also share the same fear that I will not lose enough weight, particularly not get to my goal weight- I refuse to operate in the place of fear.
My surgery date is on 24 November.
It's been a long time coming as I am self financing. I look forward to it!
I enthusiastically look foward to having 'after' pictures.

I'll jump in and also say I'm really sceptical that this will work. I mean, I've been overweight all my life. I've tried everything like I'm certain everyone in this forum has. I'm terrified that I'll be the exception to the rule, I'll stay overweight with extremely high blood sugar levels AND have done this all for nothing. Ok I'll stop rambling now. Sorry :(

I'll jump in and also say I'm really sceptical that this will work. I mean, I've been overweight all my life. I've tried everything like I'm certain everyone in this forum has. I'm terrified that I'll be the exception to the rule, I'll stay overweight with extremely high blood sugar levels AND have done this all for nothing. Ok I'll stop rambling now. Sorry [emoji20]

Believe me, I totally understand where you are coming from[emoji5]And such thoughts have plagued me. I too have been overweight most of my life but I realise that I'm not going to give up on myself. I understand this is a tool and I'm GOING to give it my all because I'm SO sick and tired of being sick and tired. So tired of being this weight.
The challenges I'm constantly faced with, like judging beforehand whether I won't break the chair lol and I can go on but that is besides the point.
I believe in you too and do not give up on yourself. I see this as a massive fight I've had to fight majority of my life and even if I stumble here and there, I choose to keep at it because I do not choose the lifestyle I'm currently living and nor should you.
I'm hoping and praying for the BEST outcome for you as I hope for myself. You are not alone[emoji4]

I'm 2 years post op and your stomach will get back to normal eventually. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll never eat junk or binge again or gain weight. Unfortunately that can happen after 2 years. I made the mistake of thinking the 6 months pre op were my last days of eating real food and gained like 20 pounds! I wish I'd never been that stupid cause I would be at a lower weight now if I hadn't gained those extra pounds. Now I have to diet to get them off.

Ok, so we're talking self-image, right? Thing is I never saw myself as fat, still don't (and I'm pre-op so duh!)... it's easy not getting pictures taken or standing behind someone... and I mean; how often do you really compare yourself with a skinny person standing next to you in front of the mirror. In todays day and age you can also get a fairly decent selection of clothing if you know where to look sooooo... who's fat? Me? Naaaah!
Was exactly where you were in February; was ready, sooo ready in fact that I was shocked to hear about the 6 months I had to drudge through. I looked into Mexico... changing my insurance.... doing this self-pay... every option out there seemed better than to wait 6 more months of this reality. Buuuut...cooler heads prevailed for various reasons and here I am 3 weeks before my surgery. Look, I'm not saying 6 months isn't a long time; it is. In fact I still think it is too long but maybe half of that was incredibly useful for me. Wrapping your head around something like this -no matter how ready you think you are- is a different kind of animal entirely. With each passing pre-op milestone (month 1, month 2... dietician... endoscopy... etc) you gain a new level of understanding of what's involved. If you're a gamer think of it as leveling up before you meet the big boss.
Good luck to you on your journey!

I am also really glad for the 6 months. It helped me create a strong relationship with my primary care physician who did most of my pre work. We had lots of conversations and I did everything she said. I lost 8 pounds in 6 months. I am so glad that blondie66 said that she gained weight in that last little bit and then had more to lose cause that really resonates with me. She is right I should not eat everything I think I wont ever be able to eat again because it just gives me more weight to lose. Amen sister.

So I am excited but skeptical as I feel like this will never work because all the pills, diets, crazy exercise etc never worked. But then my Doctor reminds me that recent studies prove that these would not work and that is why surgery is the best option for me. My Doctor has watched me struggle the past 4 years and she knows how hard I have tried.

The surgery works!! And blood sugar levels will normalize. It was a great decision for me as I couldn't lose weight. It does work but the difficult part is maintenance. The surgery will take off a lot of weight in 2 years...most in 1st year...And with good food choices And exercise it will stay off. It's a tool for long term weight loss but you will be able to eat most foods again so have to learn to make healthy choices. But have faith it will work!