Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you use in place of eating for fun/stress/boredom?

So, I am planning ahead for the mental part, that head hunger. This is where I almost wish I could start smoking again (quit 25 yrs ago, and not doing it again) However, I wish there was something else, obviously besides smoking. Is gum allowed after 1-2 months post op, or never?

Also, what hobbies etc has anyone started, to fill that food-void. I am planning on getting a ton of good books, more dog-walking and exercise, using money saved on food & snacking and use it for pedicure or mani once in a while. I have a couple of games on my iphone. I guess I am just looking for other ideas, or reassurance, that the "hobby" of food will be able to be replaced by somehting healthier.

Edited by ProfessorSlim

Great question! I've been making a list of little jobs around the house that I've been putting off, like organizing the file cabinet and kitchen cupboards.

I am one of the crazy one who spends most of it in the gym or doing home projects

I plan on doing school work, walking and being spontaneous. No wife, no stress, no worries. Just enjoying my new journey!

I would like to plan well for this, too, as I tend to overeat in the evenings to quell boredom and loneliness. Evening gym visits and a meditation class are what I have started. I was also thinking about crafts like knitting and paint by numbers :). My other idea is volunteering somewhere one evening a week, but I haven't found anything yet that doesn't involve a lot of standing (which is difficult for me). I need to investigate more.

I'm a cruncher-type person: overcoming being an emotional eater. Your post really hit home. I walk my Italian Cane Corso Mastiff puppy (1 yr, 150 lbs, named Khan) 2.5 miles every evening to our favorite barkpark. I follow him around the park & walk home when he's had his fill of running & playing. This helps me & we go straight home to the pool & jacuzzi. Usually, I'm sweating bullets so this cools me off. Since I was a competing multi-sport athlete once upon a time, I've increased my daily exercises which is getting easier since I've lost over 60 lbs & my surgeon's given me the A-ok to do whatever I want at my 3 mos post-op. For me, rediscovering things I'm passionate about but put away as my health appeared to head in a downward spiral, has helped me focus on getting out of my comfort zone (ie staying home alone). Anything I feel afraid to do or retry, I just do & affirm I can do what I love, what I'm interested in. I sold off all my musical instruments, music books, vocal materials, etc at least 7 yrs ago, packed my writing & art materials/supplies away: now I'm bringing these all back. I'm looking into finishing my education by completing my Ph.D. Figured taking baby steps & savoring every day/everything is the way to proceed. Lastly, just caught/rescued/adopted a frightened abandoned young puppy that tenants left out/behind, so now she's walking with Khan & I with her tail wagging happily. I do attend the support groups my surgeon's office offers for free: a psychologist to help for eating disorders/whatever else, nutrition/all about the changes we're going through & weight loss support for all bariatric surgical patients (post-op). I asked for & rec'd recommendations for a personal therapist, which I'm beginning next week. I have questions that I need help answering & I don't want to self sabotage on this huge journey to wellness. Hope my reply helps anyone to continue taking the steps forward on your own healthy journeys. Namaste.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BariatricPal mobile app

This thread is really helpful. I've been thinking a lot about what will take the place of eating as a go-to self-soothing activity. I'm expected to lose some weight before surgery, so I've been using this time to try out different things. Tonight I had to ask my husband to stop talking about politics, because it was making me anxious and I kept thinking about how much I wanted to make a sandwich. (so weird that this is my first response to stress). Now I'm doing my nails.

I used to knit, which could be good for after dinner when I am most prone to recreational eating. I also like the idea of doing odd jobs around the house. I'm busy during the day and exercise then too, but after dark is when I really struggle.

I'm going to go back to college - I don't care if I'm 55 - and finish my last few classes to get my Bachelors Degree! Why? Just because I can!!!!

I quit drinking in preparation after my first nutrition class, and now I immerse myself in binge watching all of the shows I never watched before. Watching Netflix "100" right now, "Last Kingdom" before that. Its very distracting to watch movies. :) I am an avid reader, but this works, too.

Edited by Apple203

20 minutes ago, celticNgel said:

I'm going to go back to college - I don't care if I'm 55 - and finish my last few classes to get my Bachelors Degree! Why? Just because I can!!!!

This is awesome! Good luck. I'm 45 and I graduated from law school in 2003 and took the bar (and didn't pass) in 2009. Now I have one off child to college and the other is 11, so I think I will take the time to study for and pass the bar. Never too late, right? You've inspired me!!

2 hours ago, celticNgel said:

We see lots of people in their 50's, even 60's, returning to college, all the time. I love having "mature" folks in class, it is often a better experience than teaching the younger crew!!

That is awesome! I'm almost 40 and I've been back in college now for 2 semesters. It is definitely not what I remember college being like when I went after HS or 13 years ago when I went back for a bit. It's tough but you just gotta keep pushing forward [emoji1360]

So, I am planning ahead for the mental part, that head hunger. This is where I almost wish I could start smoking again (quit 25 yrs ago, and not doing it again) However, I wish there was something else, obviously besides smoking. Is gum allowed after 1-2 months post op, or never?
Also, what hobbies etc has anyone started, to fill that food-void. I am planning on getting a ton of good books, more dog-walking and exercise, using money saved on food & snacking and use it for pedicure or mani once in a while. I have a couple of games on my iphone. I guess I am just looking for other ideas, or reassurance, that the "hobby" of food will be able to be replaced by somehting healthier.

Movies Movies Movies