Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reasons for band removal

I was wondering how many people have had the band removed and the reasons why? How is life now did you experience any problems during or after surgery? What was your cost for the procedure and did Insurance cover it? I am starting the process for my removal but wanted to hear from others about there process and life after removal. I am really nervous about the whole process. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi JennMarie7979

I can understand your nervousness and sure there is much anticipation involved as you await the removal procedure

I had my band removed 2 years and 1month ago. I sustained a number of band problems prior to having it removed due to the fact that the surgeon over filled the band and I also got ill causing me to be sick a lot. This then meant I had a band slippage and it caused me ongoing esophageal damage and damage to my pouch including a pronounced area of my abdomen and inability, eventually, to eat without severe pain. When I went into A&E, they had to call my surgeon who came the next day. It was actually supposed to be corrective surgery but he decided to take it out.

This was really hard for me as I'm sure you are anticipating for yourself. I very much needed the band and was not finished losing weight!

I am from the UK so fortunately NHS was able to cover it (even though I had the initial op through a private clinic) as if this had been left untreated I would have run the risk of my stomach dieing and internal infection. So monetary things will be different for you.

After the procedure I was sore and was on liquids for about 8 days before moving to mushy foods, very small portions and eating regularly as you might when you had the band. Due to the soreness going back to the gym was not possible for about 6 weeks so I just went on really long walks each day, sometimes two or three hours a day so that weight gain would not happen to fast.

Most of all i just want to reassure you that everything will be okay, and I hope you are able to get your health back after removal. It's a scary thought going without the crutch of the band to prop yourself up, and undoubtedly weight gain will happen over time (I think I've gained 25(ish) pounds since) but I've learned there is more to life than deprivation and being thin and in control. Try to do the things you enjoy, get outside and be in the company of others. It all helps, it's going to be okay. Best wishes and I hope all goes well,

Bryony

Hi,
My band malfunctioned. The tube disconnect from the port and is hanging out in the body. It causes abdominal pain. The insurance company approved to have it removed and get a sleeve. Hopefully everything can be done in one surgery.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

Insurance is covering mine (besides the $100 co-pay). I'm having my band removed on Feb 5th. I had no issues getting it approved. I haven't had a slip or erosion, but I had alot of inflammation in my throat and stomach, but I'm sure that's due to the fact that I've thrown up on a daily basis for almost 2 years because most foods were getting stuck and it progressively got worse. All the Fluid is out of my band which has helped that but I've gained weight. I'm back to where I started pre band (and then some). But I would eat foods that I knew I could tolerate (which were typically not the best choices....but I was hungry and tired of vomiting). My surgeon won't do the revision at the same time....so I have to wait 3 months to have that done (pending insurance approval for that one). I wish you the best of luck!

Insurance is covering mine (besides the $100 co-pay). I'm having my band removed on Feb 5th. I had no issues getting it approved. I haven't had a slip or erosion, but I had alot of inflammation in my throat and stomach, but I'm sure that's due to the fact that I've thrown up on a daily basis for almost 2 years because most foods were getting stuck and it progressively got worse. All the Fluid is out of my band which has helped that but I've gained weight. I'm back to where I started pre band (and then some). But I would eat foods that I knew I could tolerate (which were typically not the best choices....but I was hungry and tired of vomiting). My surgeon won't do the revision at the same time....so I have to wait 3 months to have that done (pending insurance approval for that one). I wish you the best of luck!

I feel your pain! I had my torture device band revised (same surgery) to gastric bypass in July as an emergency surgery. I feel great now, no more pain, throwing up, etc.! Good luck with your surgeries! I’m on Medicare with a BCBS supplement and it was 100% paid.

On 9/14/2017 at 7:56 PM, jennmarie7979 said:

I was wondering how many people have had the band removed and the reasons why? How is life now did you experience any problems during or after surgery? What was your cost for the procedure and did Insurance cover it? I am starting the process for my removal but wanted to hear from others about there process and life after removal. I am really nervous about the whole process. I look forward to hearing from you.

revision rates due to complications range from about 30%-50% from most of the studies. estimates are that those numbers will only continue to go up from here. ultimately it is a piece of equipment and equipment fails. if you go the the "failed Lap band and realize band" page on Facebook, it looks, overwhelmingly that gerd, reflux and vomiting are the major causes for people wanting to seek removal. followed by lack of weight loss (mostly due to de-fills to alleviate the reflux or vomiting or eating unhealthy sliders because healthy foods get stuck). and also erosion and slips show up.

I revised to RNY and just wish I'd done it to begin with. no issues with surgery or recovery, RNY feels normal. totally different than living around a band and dealing with the unpredictability of a band. recovery felt quicker and easier than with the band, but that is probably knowing what to expect and doing lots of walking to get the gas out.

I did self pay because I couldn't live with the band for one more second (and frankly was warned by my surgeon that it needed to come out asap) and wait lists where i am can go a year or more. I also wanted to chose my surgeon. my cost for the revision was 23k CAD, straight removal would have been less (I think 16k). it would have been covered if i'd chosen to go through the whole process for insurance. In the US I know some folks have had issues getting coverage for revision unless their BMI was high enough. .

I am 7 1/2 years into my band and it is being removed and revised to the sleeve in about 2 weeks. It was great the first 2 years, then GERD and vomiting, then issues with dilation of the upper pouch (which I of course am likely responsible for, too), which causes food waste to be trapped in the upper pouch, and then recently a gastric bleed from the band slipping down and causing a blood vessel to pop, which caused me to lose half my blood and spend a week in the hospital. My gastroenterologist said he wanted it out of me asap due to the risk of another bleeding episode. I have been advised by doctors involved that it just seems like everyone who has the band will need to have it out at some point.

My insurance will not cover bariatric so I am off to Mexico. $18,000 here to remove band. $4500 in Mexico to remove and revise to sleeve.

I just had a revision from band to sleeve. My worry was that small risk that it would be a 2 part surgery. However, it went well but the doc said it was an 8 out 10 on the difficulty scale because the band was stuck to everything and was encased in fat. Really scary but recovering fine. Insurance covered 100% thank god. I can’t imagine leaving the country for this.

I had my Lap-band removed after 10 years because it got too tight even completely defilled (apparently they lose their flexibility over time). I'm from Canada, so the removal was covered by our national health care (I paid for the initial surgery myself, but the removal was covered as it was deemed "medically necessary"). Although I tried my very best, ate a very moderate diet and continued to keep up with my fitness routine, I gained back 50 lbs in 9 month, so had a mini gastric bypass in September 2017 (self pay again- yay!). So far I'm much happier with this surgery and wish I'd done it in the first place.