Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose your goal weight?

On 9/24/2017 at 9:27 AM, Berry78 said:

Maybe excess body weight is supposed to be calculated from a different point then 24.9 bmi (which I've been using). I'll go see...

Ok, the plot is officially as thick and opaque as molasses..

Apparently most studies use the Metlife height/weight charts to determine "ideal body weight".

Interesting reading:

http://halls.md/met-life-ideal-weight/

For those that don't read the page.. basically it says that your height should be measured when you are wearing 1" heels. Weight measured wearing 3 pounds of clothing. Small/medium/large frames are subjective.

But, in an effort to find my own "ideal" weight, I persevered.

Take my height, add an inch. Look on the large frame side to accomodate extra skin and bone mass from being obese virtually my whole life. Then find the middle of the range, and finally, subtract 3 pounds.

My ideal weight should be 153lbs. Which happens to be 6 pounds less than the top of the normal bmi range.

But, remember all those studies didn't figure it that way. They just take your height and do the middle of the medium, which for me is 143lbs... assuming they don't forget the 1" heels! Arrrgggg...

But if we're talking clothed weight, then my starting weight was 308, ideal weight is 143 and so after subtracting 65% from my 165lbs of excess body weight, I'm left with an expected loss down to 200lbs.

Remember what I said about the dart board???

8 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Ok, the plot is officially as thick and opaque as molasses..

Apparently most studies use the Metlife height/weight charts to determine "ideal body weight".

Interesting reading:

http://halls.md/met-life-ideal-weight/

For those that don't read the page.. basically it says that your height should be measured when you are wearing 1" heels. Weight measured wearing 3 pounds of clothing. Small/medium/large frames are subjective.

But, in an effort to find my own "ideal" weight, I persevered.

Take my height, add an inch. Look on the large frame side to accomodate extra skin and bone mass from being obese virtually my whole life. Then find the middle of the range, and finally, subtract 3 pounds.

My ideal weight should be 153lbs. Which happens to be 6 pounds less than the top of the normal bmi range.

But, remember all those studies didn't figure it that way. They just take your height and do the middle of the medium, which for me is 143lbs... assuming they don't forget the 1" heels! Arrrgggg...

But if we're talking clothed weight, then my starting weight was 308, ideal weight is 143 and so after subtracting 65% from my 165lbs of excess body weight, I'm left with an expected loss down to 200lbs.

Remember what I said about the dart board???

my surgeon said my MetLife weight is *way* too low for me. I'm large framed and muscular. Even at 140 (slightly above the middle of my normal BMI range), every rib of mine shows. My fat percentage (according to DEXA scan) is 22% - OK, but I was told not to go much lower, or I'd just be eating up muscle). No way would my MetLife weight be a good weight for me. Especially since I'm an "older adult". So take MetLife with a grain of salt. Fine for some, not for others.

UPDATE: well, sort of never mind - I see this MetLife table has ranges. So I'm at the higher end of my range. My surgeon's "ideal weight" on some form he gave me had some ridiculously low number on it, when I already feel like a bag of bones. He must have noticed my expression and told me to just ignore that - that it's from the 1950s MetLife tables which really didn't fit every situation, and that that number on the form was way too low for me. These ranges look a little better...

Edited by catwoman7

I looked at the CDC site, which does your weight based on BMI. This is what I got

For the information you entered:

Height: 5 feet, 4 inches Weight: 130 pounds

Your BMI is 22.3, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 108 to 145 pounds.

′ 7″ 123-136 133-147 143-163

Catwoman, I kinda got the applicable part of the metlife chart up for you. At 140, you fit squarely into the middle of medium frame. Remember you have to add an inch to your height, so this is 5'7.

3 minutes ago, Berry78 said:
′ 7″ 123-136 133-147 143-163

Catwoman, I kinda got the applicable part of the metlife chart up for you. At 140, you fit squarely into the middle of medium frame. Remember you have to add an inch to your height, so this is 5'7.

I think the number my surgeon had on his form was from the small frame range. It was like 130. I gasped when I saw it. He told me to just ignore it. I have a large frame, so even 140 is slightly too low for me.

5 hours ago, LillieDuFran said:

I "should", according to the sadistic weight charts, weigh 125.

The British National Health System uses this quite realistic HEIGHT-WEIGHT chart. n.b. A 'stone' is 14 pounds.

height_weight_multi.thumb.jpeg.cce8d175ecc820dea20d838fa357e83e.jpeg

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

On 9/14/2017 at 1:16 PM, catwoman7 said:

In the beginning, the health psychologist at my bariatric clinic asked me what my goal was, and I said I'd be elated to weigh 200 lbs again. He told me that was a pretty realistic goal. Once I got to about 220, I told the dietitian I was going to shoot for 170-180, and she said that seemed reasonable. Once I got down there, I told the dietitian I was now going to try for 150. She told me people have done it, but it wasn't very realistic - that most people who start out SMO end up "overweight" or "class I obese". That's all the incentive I needed - I was determined to make it to normal BMI - and I have.

SOOOO - to answer your question, my goal was revised a few times as I lost weight. I'd start with something pretty realistic and go from there.

what does SMO mean?

2 hours ago, SlieveMishAmy said:

what does SMO mean?

Seriously Morbidly Obese.

1 minute ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

aha.

34 minutes ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

actually, super morbidly obese - but close enough!

4 hours ago, SlieveMishAmy said:

n the beginning, the health psychologist at my bariatric clinic asked me what my goal was, and I said I'd be elated to weigh 200 lbs again. He told me that was a pretty realistic goal. Once I got to about 220, I told the dietitian I was going to shoot for 170-180, and she said that seemed reasonable. Once I got down there, I told the dietitian I was now going to try for 150. She told me people have done it, but it wasn't very realistic - that most people who start out SMO end up "overweight" or "class I obese". That's all the incentive I needed - I was determined to make it to normal BMI - and I have.

SOOOO - to answer your question, my goal was revised a few times as I lost weight. I'd start with something pretty realistic and go from there.

Congratulations on reaching a healthy BMI! Job well done. And I think you show how determination makes such a big difference in what we do. Well done!

I'm just an old ten plus year veteran.

I have a kind of different take on final number

I had to keep myself where I could comfortably stay at that weight. It is higher than I would like. But leaving behind 90 lbs works for me and no more yo yo dieting

Just sensible Protein and exercise and the hardest for me. Water

I encourage everyone to have a great goal. But ease up on yourself once you get close. It is a true marathon. Not a one time deal we hope Be happy if you are comfortable and healthy!!!!

1 hour ago, Julie norton said:

I'm just an old ten plus year veteran.

I have a kind of different take on final number

I had to keep myself where I could comfortably stay at that weight. It is higher than I would like. But leaving behind 90 lbs works for me and no more yo yo dieting

Just sensible Protein and exercise and the hardest for me. Water

I encourage everyone to have a great goal. But ease up on yourself once you get close. It is a true marathon. Not a one time deal we hope Be happy if you are comfortable and healthy!!!!

Julie Norton, what a great advice. I just think I will know what "feels" right, as long as I use the tool of the sleeve correctly. It's not like I'm looking to wear a bikini @ 65. I just want to be able to play with my grandchildren!

5 hours ago, LillieDuFran said:

I just want to be able to play with my grandchildren!

A most admirable goal.

(And one I share. From the 15.5 year old to the 2 month old, to date none of my seven grandchildren have seen me as anything but morbidly obese. I deserve better; they deserve better.)