Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Love Your Surgeon? Did You Like Them?

Do you think it's necessary to "really" connect with your surgeon? Did you LOVEEEEE yours? Did you even like them? I have to see mine every 6 weeks and will have follow up appointments after surgery out to 5 years.

Before selecting my surgeon, I looked for much feedback and I payed close attention to their patients and at the level of their success. I love the Dr. I chose and have no regrets, what-so-ever!

I looked at reviews and feedback on the surgeons in the practice before choosing, but what I truly loved was that at all of my appointments, my surgeon was available to me for questions, wasn't hurried, and listened to my concerns. I actually brought a list of questions to my second visit and he sat and went through every question on my paper, lol. I do love my surgeon, he is great.

As an FYI, I haven't seen him since my hospital stay after surgery, I usually see one of his PA's for follow up, which is fine with me because there are only two of them and they are both amazing as well.

Edited by ChaosUnlimited
spelling

I don't know if you have to love your surgeon, but you should definitely trust him or her. I happen to love mine and think he's a genius. He has a great reputation--everyone I talked to praised him highly. Add me to that list--no pain post-op and here I am, two weeks later, and my incisions are barely noticeable.

I love and like my surgeon. I think he is an amazing person. He is supportive and positive. He is one of my biggest cheerleaders. He showed that he believed in me and as a result, I often think about him when I might be doing something off plan or if I don't go to the gym on a day I normally would. I worry I might be letting him down.

I'm 2.5 years out and have only seen my surgeon twice: once at a pre-op consult and once on surgery day. I haven't seen him since surgery day, which was in April 2015.

The physicians' assistants at his office handle my once yearly aftercare appointments.

So, no, I don't think it's necessary to love or like your surgeon. His hands crafted my life-saving sleeve and I'm thankful for that, but I don't need to be fond of him in order to succeed.

I prefer his PA!!! I had signed up for him to follow my journey for 5 years and he wanted to add my success in his Computer Data. But I ended up firing him and going to another Bariatric Center. I have to drive further but at least I get some much needed guidelines, also, my problems are dealt with respectively!! I had problems with strictures and my hubby used him for his own surgery but had complications. Now my surgery was July 2, 2013 hubby's was Sept 2013. He almost died and "OUR much loved professional Surgeon called us "PROBLEM CHILDREN!! How professional was this? I tried to stay with his office but just to many things weren't addressed. I was told that it was hard to find another DR that wanted to clean up after another DR. This man dropped my husband in the middle of severe Bacterial infections. Our PCP finally pulled some help from a fellow PROFESSIOAL Surgeon to take care of my hubby. I have since found out that a Suregon makes the most money on the Surgeries and not so much the aftercare. This is why his PA takes his patients on so he can make more $$ doing them. They get especially with Medicare, they get a blanket amount that starts from the day that you are approved until aftercare which should be until you are well ...but not in our case. He dropped him and said go to the ER or your PCP because this was his surgery day!! I'm so sorry that I have got on my soap box!! I'll shush up and try to get this anger under control again. I hope your Monday is going great!! KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!

Only saw my surgeon while in Mexico. He dropped in on me every day, and before the surgery he explained it and what I could expect after. Haven't seen anyone since coming home, but everything is healing well. Saw a new PCP and told him about the surgery and that everything had gone well.

My surgeon is also in Mexico. I relied heavily on reviews, and I felt comfortable during the intake process. I spoke on the phone directly with my surgeon when I had questions preop.

Postop, I'm confident I have support if I were to need it, but haven't needed anything so far. My family doctor is handling my routine followup.

On 12/09/2017 at 3:59 AM, FluffyChix said:

Do you think it's necessary to "really" connect with your surgeon?

No.

I am polite, even cordial ... an attentive listener. I focus on his advice and support. He can do a job I need.

He's a refined version of my plumber, my lawn maintenance man, my electrician, etc.

I want him to be well-trained, dexterous and to do his job well. In return, I'll pay him the gap fee and authorise the health insurance pay off.

On 11/09/2017 at 6:59 PM, FluffyChix said:

Do you think it's necessary to "really" connect with your surgeon? Did you LOVEEEEE yours? Did you even like them? I have to see mine every 6 weeks and will have follow up appointments after surgery out to 5 years.

I feel it is very important to get a good feeling about your surgeon, I am self pay , not that it makes a difference I would have done the same had I not have been. The first one I saw , rubbed me the wrong way, I did not know why, but his information did seem abit blase' and he was not clear on facts. I just did not feel good about him, he even booked my date in that fast, and I signed to have the surgery.

BUT

I did not feel right. So I booked in with another surgeon for a consultation and I felt super positive as soon as I met him I knew it was the right fit.

Turned out the surgeon I changed my mind on, a patient died not long ago and the inquest said he was blase' about important facts and risks of the surgery. Shockingly I found the same after all this time, My surgeon gave all the information.

I hope not! My surgeon is brilliant and considered one of the best, but I wouldn't call him the warm and fuzzy type! However, he is smart enough to have hired warm fuzzy types to run his office...the PA, nutritionist and other staff all have giant smiles!

19 minutes ago, CJ Sunshine said:

I hope not! My surgeon is brilliant and considered one of the best

I want a professional, highly versed in her/his job, well-trained, adaptable. Friendliness is a bonus. Friendship or bonding is NOT a requirement.

I want the same attributes in my plumber, my electrician, my grandkids' teachers, my hairdresser, etc ...

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior
gender neutrality

4 hours ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

I want a professional, highly versed in her/his job, well-trained, adaptable. Friendliness is a bonus. Friendship or bonding is NOT a requirement.

I want the same attributes in my plumber, my electrician, my grandkids' teachers, my hairdresser, etc ...

I am not looking to make friends with my surgeon but a basic level of being personable is important. The first surgeon I did not go with was 1 hour late to the appointment, no apology he barely made eye contact, he talked so fast and brushed over key risk factors, slowed down when it was time to discuss payment . But he seemed to know what he was doing as he was quite recommended in his profession, well trained , I am sure he is adaptable he works in many different hospitals. But him being so .. Not engaging as if I was just a body, and when you go into theatre, you are just a body, they are not making convo while you are under lol. But when I am sat here infront of the surgeon you want to be seen as a whole person. I am sure he is a wonderful surgeon. But the one that approached me in a polite manner was engaging answered my questions , explained the risks clearly etc etc. And just overall gave me a better feeling is the surgeon I went with. But I do not need to like them on a friendship level, i did not ask the guy his hobbies lol. But basic human responses of some level of warmth helps.

For me though what I want for my kids teachers is no were near what I want from my surgeon lol. How are you saying your grandkids do not need to bond with their teacher ? lol I know it must have been awhile for you , but I am only 26 so I can say a teacher you bond with can make the world of difference to how well you do in a class especially for little children. But thats very interesting ,everyones different I suppose.

Edited by dreamingsmall

1 hour ago, dreamingsmall said:

How are you saying your grandkids do not need to bond with their teacher

1 hour ago, dreamingsmall said:

I know it must have been awhile for you , but I am only 26

I did not say that.

You drew that assumption.

If the teacher is properly qualified, has an in-depth subject knowledge, runs lessons to the curriculum/syllabus mandated by the state and the education district, has mandatory Level III First Aid and Emergency Care training and, as well, is "safe" in all respects to work with children, that is great.

That any teacher can bond 100% with 20-32 individuals in their class these days is nigh on impossible. With mandated state and national testing the big focus of school systems these days, the best teachers do their best to be fair, organised and entertaining to kids of diverse social, ethnic and economic backgrounds. We just hope that ALL the children possible will be on task and stay on task so that the educational leader (teacher) gets them through the range of knowledge, skills and experiences required.

My grandkids all like school but they are all different but they are polite and friendly and are shown that in return. I chip in by doing reading support for three hours on one day and physical education support for two hours on another day.

Schools are brimming with refuse-niks and misfits these days ... kids who bring their home hang-ups and eccentricities to school. The teachers at the primary and high school where the grandkids go do their 100% whenever I see them interacting.

- - -

As for being "a while for me", and you only being 26, I might say I am in my sixties but I can remember back to every Thursday afternoon and every Tuesday morning since the last summer vacation when I have done my volunteer hours at the schools in question.

I was also there (at my eldest grandchild's high school) last autumn vacation for three of the sixteen days helping out the grounds-staff with my pressure sprayer and leaf-blower.

I am very much in touch with schools and education.