Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My sleeve is too big

Re your last sentence: yes, I am aware of that.
What my comment was alluding to was that his receptionist, his consultant dietitian or he himself might have workable strategies or advice for you.
Given what a few of the longer-serving, more-experienced responders have said, as a layman, it looks like you are (a) not doing enough relatively continuous water-sipping up to 20-30 mins BEFORE and 20-30 mins AFTER your designated meals (B) too much liquid/runny meal content © not enough chewable food that requires you to process it.
I COULD BE WRONG as I'M JUST A FAT BLOKE and NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL.

No worries mate.
I am only 10 days out and still learning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

57 minutes ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

I am not good about drinking enough Water.

Maybe try upping your water consumption deliberately for THREE CONSECUTIVE DAYS and see how that works.

It might do the trick!

2 minutes ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

I am only 10 days out and still learning.

And you were begging for opinion and/or suggestions so I threw in my 2c worth.

17 minutes ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

It's cool man, I am not offended or anything.
I appreciate the feedback.

Also everything is relative. And again they remove 75%-85% of your stomach. Even if for some reason they "accidentally" made it bigger, youre still looking at a stomach thats drastically smaller no matter what, meaning the surgery would still work and youd lose a ton of weight. But forget that line of thinking, it wont help you or do you any favors

Presumably your wife isnt a 6'1 man with a large frame. So it would make sense for her stomach to be different from yours, and her daily caloric intake should be much smaller than yours as well.

I think getting the diet in order should be your #1 goal though. Maybe talk to the therapist as well, but I think you need to be making better food choices and developing strong habits while the surgery is fresh.

Also I dont remember seeing it, but hows your Protein intake ? Because not all greek yogurts are protein rich, and I know Tomato Soup sure aint.

Its a learning process and youre going through a ton of change I get that. But you also have a rare and golden opportunity to make lifelong changes to help make your life better. Give it all you got while its fresh, this is the best time to do it

Edited by Mhy12784

Also everything is relative. And again they remove 75%-85% of your stomach. Even if for some reason they "accidentally" made it bigger, youre still looking at a stomach thats drastically smaller no matter what, meaning the surgery would still work and youd lose a ton of weight. But forget that line of thinking, it wont help you or do you any favors
Presumably your wife isnt a 6'1 man with a large frame. So it would make sense for her stomach to be different from yours, and her daily caloric intake should be much smaller than yours as well.
I think getting the diet in order should be your #1 goal though. Maybe talk to the therapist as well, but I think you need to be making better food choices and developing strong habits while the surgery is fresh.
Also I dont remember seeing it, but hows your Protein intake ? Because not all greek yogurts are protein rich, and I know Tomato Soup sure aint.
Its a learning process and youre going through a ton of change I get that. But you also have a rare and golden opportunity to make lifelong changes to help make your life better. Give it all you got while its fresh, this is the best time to do it

Thank you for the kind and wise words.
I haven't had a chance to talk to my surgeon yet, I was too out of it after surgery and he spoke with my wife. The next day for the drain pull, I had my drain removed by his partner as my surgeon was in surgery. I see my surgeon one week from tomorrow and I want to hear what he says about my procedure, my stomach size before sleeve, and the size now that I am sleeved.
My protein intake hasn't been great. I am sick of Protein Shakes. I think I need to up my protein, drink more Water, and stop drinking so many calories.

I hear you on the Protein shakes--I've been trying to be creative in making sure I get enough each day. I drink protein Water, killing two birds with one stone, as it were. And I also struggle to get enough water in. I have some yogurt--like, half of one a day. I also made some sugar-free pudding and added two scoops of Protein Powder, so that's a little different.

But I totally agree with the advice that you attack your food addiction with the therapist. The surgery won't help in the long run if you can't tame that beast as well.

Best of luck!

How would I know if my sleeve is too big?
I feel like I am able to take in too much.
I feel like my sleeve is able to hold more than my wife's and we were sleeved by the same surgeon.
He said he uses the same device to measure the sleeve.
He also told my wife after surgery that he had to do a lot of cutting on me as I had a huge stomach.
I also suffer from OCD and maybe I am just creating unneeded stress for myself.

I feel like mine is way too big too. I joked he only removed half and he promised he didn't. I don't understand it. I'm 3.5 weeks out and have about 5-6 oz for meals and around 900 calories. I can't consume any less. I feel like I could consume more but just stop myself and drink a glass of Water.

A whoops moment, eh?

4 hours ago, KateBruin said:

I feel like mine is way too big too. I joked he only removed half and he promised he didn't. I don't understand it. I'm 3.5 weeks out and have about 5-6 oz for meals and around 900 calories.

You're 3.5 weeks out. What type of foods are you consuming?

If you're still on mechanical soft foods or purees, our sleeves can accept an almost unlimited amount of these because they 'slide' past our stomachs without prompting fullness.

I guarantee you'd feel gorged and overstuffed if you attempted to eat 6 ounces of steak, pork roast, chicken breast, turkey breast, or lamb. It's rigid Protein that causes us to feel full.

8 hours ago, KateBruin said:

I feel like mine is way too big too. I joked he only removed half and he promised he didn't. I don't understand it. I'm 3.5 weeks out and have about 5-6 oz for meals and around 900 calories. I can't consume any less. I feel like I could consume more but just stop myself and drink a glass of Water.

Does your plan say you can have 6 ounces at a time?

For those of you that are consuming so much more than 4oz at a time so early out, are you measuring the 4oz out onto your plate so you don't eat more?

I think you should stop at the correct amount and then make sure you are getting the correct amounts of fluids. If you are still hungry make sure you are taking your acid reducer. It could be just head hunger.

remember just because you can eat more doesn't mean you should.

35 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

remember just because you can eat more doesn't mean you should.

Hallelujah, Apple1.

I was looking at the statistics and anecdotes of many people post WLS, the successes, the partial successes, the failures and the in-between post-operatives.

Without a doubt, the most common causes of failures with gastric sleeving and RNY are:

(a) rushing back to old trigger foods

(b) not breaking the relationship with soft-drinks/sodas

(c) not moving forward on the issues of only eating to satiety

(d) other bad "old" habits

(e) brand new bad habits

- - -

Aware of those things, I'm 'arming' mentally ... I have no intention of wasting this chance to grab extra years of life.

I felt the same way as if maybe the surgery didn't work for me because I was able to get a lot of liquid and soft foods in. But as soon as I advanced to the stage where I can eat real food I get full super fast. I had turkey breast for dinner and could barely eat 2 oz. I agree with everyone about liquid and soft foods they are easier to get down. I also visited my therapist this week and she introduced me to intuitive eating. I was feeling hungry all the time and couldn't stop thinking about food. But after applying her tips on intuitive eating I realized that I am not actually hungry all the time and I was just so used to eating all the time that my head was still thinking that way. It really helped talking to my therapist. Good luck on your journey.

6 minutes ago, kamjmm25 said:

applying her tips on intuitive eating

Can you give a brief summary of what this is and what the key tips she suggested are, please? (Here or maybe in a new thread.)

[I am using a search engine in the meantime!]

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior