Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay, Hernia, and Complication Questions!

Get your quote in writing and a list of exclusions. At least if something billing wise goes hay-wire, you have some documentation to justify your cause.

Get your quote in writing and a list of exclusions. At least if something billing wise goes hay-wire, you have some documentation to justify your cause.

Wish you would have commented with this a couple weeks ago! I paid the $9400 for the surgery on 1/17. Just got a bill for almost $1800 for some blood work they had me do at the hospital few days before the surgery. So mad!

=( I'm sorry. I got it in writing an the hospital came back at me for $3000. LOL Can't bleed a turnip, an in Texas they can't do anything about it. Dispute the bill, if they go after your credit, go to the Federal Trade Commission for falsifying credit reporting data.

=( I'm sorry. I got it in writing an the hospital came back at me for $3000. LOL Can't bleed a turnip, an in Texas they can't do anything about it. Dispute the bill, if they go after your credit, go to the Federal Trade Commission for falsifying credit reporting data.

Thanks for the info! I will be fighting it! Can’t believe you were stuck with an extra 3k!

I wonder if your insurance will pick up preop testing? Mine paid for all blood work, patch eval, ekg, etc and all I had to do was a copay.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, GassyGurl said:

I wonder if your insurance will pick up preop testing? Mine paid for all blood work, patch eval, ekg, etc and all I had to do was a copay.

Mine did. Even the first Dr appointment. They did not pay for the hospital stay (part of it actually for hernia repair), nor the procedure it's self. Everything else they covered. Post op drugs and all.

The hospital billed my insurance for all of that. The total billed was $9400 and I have to pay 20% which came out to almost $1800. I realize now I should have questioned why they sent me to the hospital to do the testing. I usually get billed $100 when I get lab work done at a regular lab. Only additional test would have been the EKG.

I would have to say.. Looking hine sight, I'm happy with my decision, and getting insurance to pay for part was a relief. My othe option was to go to Mexico, which I'm not of the opinion would have been a bad decision.

3 hours ago, lindsayAK said:

Its horrible. I just want to know how in the world the original bill could have been so damn high. $9400 is ridiculous!

My cash cost was 10,000$. It's crazy, but at least I get to write it off on taxes.

My cash cost was 10,000$. It's crazy, but at least I get to write it off on taxes.

My cash pay was $9500 for the surgery plus this extra $1750 for pre op labs. Plus about $400 for other tests. Better be worth it!

9 hours ago, lindsayAK said:

My cash pay was $9500 for the surgery plus this extra $1750 for pre op labs. Plus about $400 for other tests. Better be worth it!

So far, YES. Down 80lbs and the doctor says I have 6 more months of weight loss. Almost Scarry.

So far, YES. Down 80lbs and the doctor says I have 6 more months of weight loss. Almost Scarry.

My daughter got a bill today 85,000 for surgery and another 1,600 anesthesia. After insurance she still will owe over 11,000. I told her someone screwed up...she will be calling this morning !

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 2/6/2018 at 3:46 AM, Elizabeth 06388 said:

My daughter got a bill today 85,000 for surgery and another 1,600 anesthesia. After insurance she still will owe over 11,000. I told her someone screwed up...she will be calling this morning !

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app

The hospital did mess up my billing after the fact and came at me for another $4000. Thank God I got some pricing in writing g before hand. I called, talked to the cheif nursing officer and haven't heard from them since.