Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do protein drinks taste awful?

I have tried many many Proteins. I use Inspire whey Protein Isolate. It is awesome. My favs are Orange Cream and Caffe Bella. It is made by Bariatric Eating.com.

I loveeee the Whey Rich chocolate Protein mix. I swear it taste just like chocolate milk. I mix it with 1% milk, since I can't seem to find the skim milk. I will start using the 0% milk after my surgery.

I agree, Premier is one of the only ones I don't mind from pre surgery date to now post. I only do chocolate though. Wasn't fond of the other flavors

On 9/8/2017 at 7:50 PM, AZBlackhawk said:

I really like Inspire Protein Powder from BariatricEating dot com. They have lots of flavors and they are pretty good. I was using Premier Protein before surgery, now I don't want to open those!!

This is a horrible company that advertises their marketing as a support group. They are rude and mask that add tough love. They have a F rating from BBB.

Edited by masg23

I can't believe that some people seem to hate about every Protein Shake (or Protein bar) on the planet. :lol:

Ok, this stuff gets olds like any other food you eat often enough but I'm sure there is a protein shake or Protein Bar out there for every taste.

If you don't like the pure stuff, there are several ways to jazz up a protein shake though not everything will agree with everybody of course. Same with Protein Bars. There are good tasting ones out there (at least IMO).

2 hours ago, summerset said:

I can't believe that some people seem to hate about every Protein Shake (or Protein bar) on the planet.

This has been irking me too. People seem so negative in wanting to label lots of brands as unpalatable.

It reminds me of the 1950s and 1960s when medicines were 'raw' and children were just told, "take it, it'll do you good. The taste only lasts a few seconds."

People seem to want everything to fit their narrow view of tasty or delicious. It seems to NOT matter that the Protein Shake is a means to an end.

- - -

If they are really so bad, whack the powder in the blender with a little pleasant-tasting fruit, some artificial sweetener or a different liquid media ... skim milk, egg white, etc.

But most of all, just "harden up, princess!" ... it's a few minutes of your day taking one of the few things that are supporting you move to a new lifestyle and future. The sweet-tasting 5h1t you have been eating up until now has made you (grossly) obese ... might really be time to stop b1tchin' and to try something else.

45 minutes ago, Rainbow_Warrior said:

If they are really so bad, whack the powder in the blender with a little pleasant-tasting fruit, some artificial sweetener or a different liquid media ... skim milk, egg white, etc.

But... but... the CARBS!!!!!

;)

Regarding the artificial sweetener: I think a lot of Protein powders are actually already too heavy on sweeteners, depending on the brand (unless you buy powders without flavor that is).

Anyway, I used to mix Syntrax Peanut Butter Cookie and chocolate with milk and then pour it into my coffee. I haven't had that in a while now - will give it a try again because I have so much of it left and it's still good.

Hello,
So, since I can't tolerate Carnation Instant Breakfast, my surgeon's office recommended that I try a water-based Protein supplement like Isopure from GNC. So, I bought a bag of "Strawberries & Creme" Protein Powder from GNC the other day. Put simply, I'd rather drink Pepto Bismol straight from the bottle than try that Isopure garbage ever again. I specifically asked the cashier lady at GNC "which one isn't the worst?" and she recommended this flavour of Isopure.
Does anyone else have any recommendations about Protein Drinks?

Try Protein Water. It’s very light and not overly sweet. You can buy on Amazon. IMG_1798.JPG

Try Protein Water. It’s very light and not overly sweet. You can buy on Amazon. IMG_1798.JPG.fdeb5b9c281f8d9681c697a3c1be30ee.JPG

I use the Premier Protein shakes and bought them at target and Amazon. The chocolate and strawberries and cream are the best so far. The vanilla has a nasty after taste and had to blend it with fruit in order to drink it. I just ordered the caramel which I’m going to try this weekend.

All I can say I commend anyone that can tolerate ISOPURE!!! So gross. Atkins has pretty good Protein Drinks. Also, MYLOPLEX rich dark chocolate is good. Once I found Atkins that is where I stayed. Just buckle up and get er done. LOL

All I can say I commend anyone that can tolerate ISOPURE!!! So gross. Atkins has pretty good Protein Drinks. Also, MYLOPLEX rich dark chocolate is good. Once I found Atkins that is where I stayed. Just buckle up and get er done. LOL

Glad I’m not alone. I am four days Post op and I’ve had no Protein because It’s so gross. Smells and taste like spoiled milk. I have only tried Premier Protein. i’m supposed to be on Clear Liquids for this week.

Let me second or third or whatever the recommendation for Protein water--I was buying Atkins LIFT until I moved and couldn't find it; I've just gotten a couple 12-packs of the Protein2O (pictured above) delivered from Amazon. I like that it counts as both Water and protein; I also use Premier Protein (chocolate only) to help. It's been a gradual process, though, to think about protein first and foremost and every day.

I’ve tried literally 20 different kinds of all kinds of Protein. They all make me dump. It’s awful. I went to my local supplement store and told them what was going on and they suggested collagen pills. I’ve been on them for a week now and so far so good. They’re expensive and huge ( I break them into thirds to get them down). I’m gonna try adding collagen powder next but so far these are a miracle and with the protein I’m eating they get me to my daily goal.

This has been irking me too. People seem so negative in wanting to label lots of brands as unpalatable.
It reminds me of the 1950s and 1960s when medicines were 'raw' and children were just told, "take it, it'll do you good. The taste only lasts a few seconds."
People seem to want everything to fit their narrow view of tasty or delicious. It seems to NOT matter that the Protein Shake is a means to an end.
- - -
But most of all, just "harden up, princess!" ... it's a few minutes of your day taking one of the few things that are supporting you move to a new lifestyle and future. The sweet-tasting 5h1t you have been eating up until now has made you (grossly) obese ... might really be time to stop b1tchin' and to try something else.

This. Preach.