Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonation after WLS?

I love LaCroix waters because they're not sweetened. Do they ever go flat? I've had one open in the fridge for three days now waiting for it to go flat and it still explodes inside me when I take an experimental sip! Guess I probably need to move it around more.

Yes it is the pressure, for sure. I drink sparkling waters and prosecco if I'm having alcohol (with Dr blessing) and it makes a real difference to me which brands I drink. The more bubbly it is, the less good/comfortable for sure.

If you like sparkling mineral waters, I find that Pellegrino is delicious and has little (smallish) bubbles [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

I used to drink about 2 cans of Diet Coke a day prior to surgery. I started drinking them again around a week after surgery. Along with La Croix. I just drink slowly and (lady) burp when I need to. However, I don't really crave either as much anymore so I haven't had one in a few days. I think because if I'm drinking I want it to be hydrating fluids or Protein.

I also use straws. Got a Starbucks tea and after having a couple I realized I was using a straw, which my dietician banned. No problems with it.

I was sleeved 8/23

The person who explained in detail what the sugars will do re: weight loss & weight gain is absolutely correct. Since my surgery from 1980 I went from 264# to 132# so very quickly. In all of these years i never gained an ounce. May of 2016 I put on my first summer outfit as I live in snow country so live in heavy clothes all winter; My clothes were loose on me. Somehow I had managed to lose another 12# over the winter. Wasn't eating or drinking anything any different. I was 120#. I was actually ecstatic. For some demented reason which I do not understand to this day I started drinking a 12oz bottle of Coca-Cola from Mexico over a 24 hour period daily. I am so addicted I can't believe it. But I wasn't worried as I was still my 120#'s. Well in June 2017 I put away my baggy heavy clothes & grabbed cutoffs & knit top. They were kinda tight??? It's now Sept 2017 & my stomach area (I didn't have plastic surgery as I didn't know the insurance would have covered it & really didn't need it after the weight loss) this has gotten back to being fat & saggy. I can barely fit into the 132# clothes but this stomach is making me sooo sad & depressed & i can't stop drinking these darned things. I'm praying that with walking & stopping this nonsense that it will go away but I have no idea. Listen to what has been said about the calories & Calcium loss. I'm a living testament as to what a 12oz soda a day can do to a once upon a time extremely successful gastric bypass that's stayed in great shape for 36 years. DO NOT PICK UP OR CONTINUE TO DRINK CARBONATED beverages, ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH SUGAR.

55 minutes ago, savannahlee025 said:

DO NOT PICK UP OR CONTINUE TO DRINK CARBONATED beverages, ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH SUGAR.

A cautionary serve for everyone to dwell upon.

Three weeks from surgery, I have already decided to avoid all future contact with fizzy soda drinks of ALL sorts. The stats are not good for people who use them.

I've tried a few with no trouble, Diet Coke, Coke zero and Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr Pepper. Not much though. But I tried a Dr. Pepper Ten and started spouting foam like a volcano. If I pour in to a cup first and let some of the carbonation wear off I can drink it but by then it's flat and what's the point? Mostly tea, Water, and Powerade zero for me.

I've tried a few with no trouble, Diet Coke, Coke zero and Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr Pepper. Not much though. But I tried a Dr. Pepper Ten and started spouting foam like a volcano. If I pour in to a cup first and let some of the carbonation wear off I can drink it but by then it's flat and what's the point? Mostly tea, Water, and Powerade zero for me.

Crystal light has been my go to.

Crystal light has been my go to.

Me too. My NUT wants me to switch to the natural stevia flavored crystal light though. Without crystal light I’d be so dehydrated since drinking Water feels so heavy.

Me too. My NUT wants me to switch to the natural stevia flavored crystal light though. Without crystal light I’d be so dehydrated since drinking Water feels so heavy.

What is their reasoning for wanting you to switch to stevia?

On 9/20/2017 at 3:26 PM, Rainbow_Warrior said:

I have already decided to avoid all future contact with fizzy soda drinks of ALL sorts. The stats are not good for people who use them.

I stopped about a year before wls...just something about all those chemicals in my body didn't sit right with me and my weight at the time. haven't had one since and I'm about 4 months post now and don't ever feel like "trying" one just for the sake of having it. What's the point?

What is their reasoning for wanting you to switch to stevia?

It’s apparently natural and whichever sweetener is in crystal light is artificial. But my Protein Shakes and basically everything else is artificially sweetened so I’m not listening until I have to buy more then I’ll give it a try

I was such a ridiculous Diet Coke addict pre-op, that I know I can never bring it back (whether my body will tolerate it or not).

Actually, now that I think about it, I stopped soda 3 days before my surgery last year, which was September 25. That means I have been soda (and carbonation) free for one year as of yesterday. I didn't even realize that until just now. That amazes me!!

I wonder if Sparkling Water is ok?

Edited by Killian

I wonder if Sparkling Water is ok?

It’s the same concept as diet sodas. Some people say it stretches the sleeve, but the research I’ve done just says the carbonation can make you uncomfortable. I love la croix so I just drink slowly and burp when I need to. Ladylike, I know, but it makes drinking them painless.