Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonation after WLS?

Hi all!

So I know we aren't supposed to have any carbonated beverages after our surgeries, but I'm curious as to why carbonation makes us so uncomfortable now.

The reason I am asking is because I'm headed to Chicago this weekend and was lucky enough to get upgraded - I had a total brainfart in first class and asked for a champagne. I took one sip and instantly realized my mistake!

I'm just not clear why carbonation creates such discomfort in our new bodies. Also, does it ever get better? I love diet coke and sparkling wines!

Thanks!

Carbonated drinks have never made me uncomfortable. I tolerate soda, champagne and sparkling Water without any problematic issues.

However, I choose to no longer drink these beverages because my tastes have changed. Since the surgery, they no longer taste that great to me.

Prior to surgery, I was a Diet Pepsi/Diet Dr. Pepper addict.

This is always a hotly debated topic that will have many different opinions and flat out myths about it (stomach stretching).

You found out why it's not the best idea first hand. It can hurt or make us really uncomfortable!

At almost 4 years out, I can drink it in the form of sparkling Water or seltzer with no issues. I will have a diet soda very occasionally, also with no issues. My surgeon says it's fine in moderation as long as there are no empty calories along with it and it's tolerated.

So yes, you may be able to tolerate it down the road. I think I was around 2 years out when I took my first drink of a carbonated beverage. :)

And before people start in about how it stretches your stomach, here is a video from a very respected Bariatric surgeon that says that is in fact, a myth.

I don't drink carbonated beverages, but I have tried it. I was so miserable and felt as though I had that never ending feeling of needing to burp, I needed no other reasons to learn a lesson. lol

I tried the carbonated Bai product, never any type of soda.

Edited by heycrystal2052

Hey surgery date sister!

I'm also curious about this! Last week I accidentally grabbed my partner's Sprite cup thinking it was my Water cup and holy hell did it burn. I never really had a taste for soda to begin with - sweet tea was my downfall - but I was surprised with how painful it was.

Yeah! I get why we're not supposed to (particularly because soda in particular - either diet or regular - aren't very good for us) but I don't get the physiology of why it's actually so uncomfortable.

And yay for surgery date sisters!! How has your journey been?

My surgeon says to stay away from it. Prior to surgery I was a diet coke addict. I have so much gas inside my tummy, I am not about to put more into it. Some don't have issues, but it is a slippery slope in my opinion. They offer no nutritional value and are empty calories. The diet drinks are worse. I just say no.

1 hour ago, AnA92212 said:

My surgeon says to stay away from it.

I have so much gas inside my tummy, I am not about to put more into it.

Some don't have issues, but it is a slippery slope in my opinion. They offer no nutritional value and are empty calories. The diet drinks are worse. I just say no.

These three points! Yes!

A. Most surgeons suggest a blanket ban for life.

B. We SLEEVE people are working with a reduced stomach space. Why ask that reduced space to deal with extra gaseousness?

C. Soft drinks (sodas) are a slippery slope ... trashy empty calories.

If I could tell my five year old self any advice (after I get my time machine), it would be

... (a) have nothing to do with any sort of commercial Breakfast Cereal. They are all carb 5h1t and most are loaded with sugar.

... (b) you will NEVER really need a carbonated soft drink. They are all junk food. And the diet soft drinks are the worst of false hope.

I used to drink lots of Diet Coke. Lots. I tried one today for the first time since surgery. I'm 8 months post. It tasted great but I was sooo uncomfortable that I stopped after 3 sips.

Before I had my RNY I would drink about 20 diet pops a day. I would drink Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Coke Zero, Pepsi Max and Cola Zero (Kroger brand pop). I am almost a year post op and have not had one. I have never even thought about having one. I was able to get that monkey off my back and I don't want it getting back on there.

We are all adults on this site. If you want to drink pop, drink pop. If you want to eat an entire 7 layer chocolate cake then by all means do so. Everyone's weight loss journey is there own. You decide your own fate. You have the ability to sabotage yourself and you and you alone have the ability to make to correct decisions.

Just my $.02.

Phil

I get the ban on soda & diet soda. On board with it. Is Sparkling Water or Seltzer ok?

I think some people are misunderstanding my intentions of writing this post...

I'm not asking because I'm dying to get back to drinking diet soda on a regular basis, or even at all (although I will admit I miss Coke Zero!)

I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious about the physiology of why our bodies now react poorly to carbonation in general, even if that carbonation is just sparkling Water. I take a sip of anything carbonated and I feel immensely uncomfortable pretty quickly. I'm not trying to start incorporating carbonated beverages back into my diet, I'm just wondering why our bodies respond in this new way to them, from a physical perspective. Why do smaller stomachs/restructured digestive systems = discomfort when drinking bubbles?

1 hour ago, ebroms17 said:

I'm genuinely curious about the physiology of why our bodies now react poorly to carbonation in general,

Relative lack of stomach space means less room to absorb burp pressure?

'Burp pressure.' This actually makes sense!