Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 weeks out - craved carbs last night - help

When I first had surgery, two sips of Water made me feel like I'd eaten Thanksgiving dinner. Slowly I could drink more, but even a week ago I had that full feeling after 2 oz food. And I have been slowly losing nicely. I am trying to keep my calories around 800 until 3 months and raise them to 1000 at three months plus add more exercise. Sometimes lately I go over, to 900 or 1000 cals already. Still losing some ounces each day.

Now I am scared it might come to an end. I didn't have carb cravings until now, just a shaky feeling that meant "I need protein." For the first time last night, I got a crab craving or a sweet tooth. I tried to fight it by eating something healthy with Protein Powder mixed into it. It didn't make me feel full. Then I ate a small cookie. I didn't even want to but the craving. I was hoping I'd feel sick from it. I felt nothing. It didn't take away the craving. Thank goodness I did not eat any more.

Is the wonderful full feeling leaving me? Did I not eat enough good Protein at dinner? It was the first time I tried "fast food" - I had 3 oz of Kung pao from Panda Express with no rice of course. What did I do wrong that I got a carb craving? I wanted them gone forever. That late night carb craving made me fat.

What can I do to make it never happen again or when it happens to counteract it?? (Don't say go to sleep because I have one hour to myself after the kids are in bed and I need that hour for my mental health.)

When you eat sugar, your body will crave sugar. I found this out quick pre-op doing the whole 30 diet. I have always had a sweet tooth, but totally cutting out sugar during the diet made me loose that craving. Sounds to me like the sauce on your dinner probably had a lot of sugar in it, or a lot of refined carbs (which turn to sugar). That craving/feeling is scary because it is so powerful and I can totally relate. Make sure you are logging your food on myfitness pal and you will see which foods might have spiked you want for sugar, especially if you eat stuff that has refined sugar in it. Good luck, you got this.

Edited by Cherbear416

Hi GotProlactinoma!

It sounds like your stomach is healing and the restriction may be going down. I was sleeved 2 days before you so I'm also able to take in more than I could 2 or 3 weeks out. A lot of our success is going to be mental. Have you considered talking with a professional about your food cravings? My surgeon's office highly suggests it for us and says it will help work through cravings, food addictions, etc. I say this because I've also suddenly started craving carbs and junk food again but I didn't get this sleeve to fall back into old habits. Something has triggered it and it's either stress or something I'm eating. Don't worry, I'm sure this is totally normal for many of us and it's just an extra hurdle towards our success.

Thanks for responding. Yes, I bet there was sugar in the Chinese food. Kung pao is spicy so we don't realize, probably. It was better last night. I ate "more" (homemade beef roast) at dinner than usual in hopes of triggering restriction. I was so happy to feel discomfort and indigestion for a few hours!!! Ha ha ha ha ha! I basically "asked" for that. Which is good. No fairies put my old stomach back in!

I think I might try making some chicken garlic meatballs in large quantity to take everywhere or eat in evenings. Also want to try 90% or more dark chocolate.

You are right, we have done too much and come too far to let those cravings come back or rule us. Losing weight feels MUCH better than anything on this earth tastes.

another pound gone even though my cals have been above 900 for three days. Gotta go get my workout in.