Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adventures with Unjury Unflavored

I'm still struggling to meet my Protein goals post-surgery -- the Premier Protein shakes I used to enjoy now make me nauseated. Too sweet! I ordered some Unjury unflavored protein after reading several recommendations. Tried it mixed in some food and it was... okay. Didn't care for what it did to the texture of my food. Then I saw on the back of the container that they recommended mixing a scoop with skim milk. I thought "great!" - I love drinking skim milk, and if this is unflavored, it should solve my problems. Right? Right?

WRONG.

It tastes like a yeasty cheese milk smoothie. Ugh. :48_weary:

Back to the drawing board.

Ew. :blink: How about Fairlife Milk (like 12 or 13g per cup and lower carbs), then add some dried non-fat milk to it to make it "double milk"? I personally love using my Isopure unflavored. But I use it in things like soups...where the creaminess is a bonus.

Just now, FluffyChix said:

Ew. :blink: How about Fairlife Milk (like 12 or 13g per cup and lower carbs), then add some dried non-fat milk to it to make it "double milk"? I personally love using my Isopure unflavored. But I use it in things like soups...where the creaminess is a bonus.

Yeah, I think I was a bit naive to think "unflavored" would really be unflavored -- I think I was kind of expecting like a Miralax sort of thing, and it's definitely not. I'll look into the Fairlife milk! Is it real dairy milk or some kind of milk substitute?

This stuff might be good in some cheese sauce or something, though I'm not seeing that on my meal plan in any large enough quantity to matter... :P

As far as I know it's from cows that haven't been stabbed with growth hormones and they concentrate the milk to up the Protein and wave a magic wand to reduce the carbs. LOL. Do a google on it. It's all over down here. Try using the Unjury in rich flavored chicken broth and stir in a spoon or two of cream of chicken concentrate. It's really delish! I think add spinach (fresh) to it and let it wilt. But I bet you aren't at the puree stage, so even blending that wouldn't work.

Have you tried GENEPRO Protein? It definitely has a taste but I can easily mask it with other flavors. I also love Fairlife milk and it will be the only brand I'll drink from here on. I too loved Premier while pre-op but can't stand it now. Tonight for "dessert' I'm making my own protein smoothie with Fage yogurt, Fairlife milk, sugar free Syrup, and a little bit of spices. Will see how it turns out!

Edited by coyote

Just now, coyote said:

Have you tried GENEPRO Protein? It definitely has a taste but I can easily mask it with other flavors. I also love Fairlife milk and it will be the only brand I'll drink from here on. I also loved Premier while pre-op but can't stand it now. Tonight for "dessert' I'm making my own Protein smoothie with Fage yogurt, Fairlife milk, sugar free Syrup, and a little bit of spices. Will see how it turns out!

I bought some of the GENEPRO but I've read mixed reviews on it so I've been hesitant to open it up and try it. I had no idea that the hardest part of this so far would be drinking a silly protein shake!

1 minute ago, expectopatronum said:

I'm actually eating soft foods! I just still have to supplement with Protein Shakes for now.

I love seeing how different each program is! I just started soft foods yesterday and I was sleeved in July :) I'll be on soft until January.

2 minutes ago, coyote said:

I love seeing how different each program is! I just started soft foods yesterday and I was sleeved in July :) I'll be on soft until January.

Yes, I'm on a version of soft foods from now until Christmas, probably, just adding things one bit at a time.

I was going to post that I would have gone nuts on soft foods for months, but I realized that I was basically on soft foods that long. I ate soft baked fish for basically the first 6 months.

Anyway my only luck with unflavored Protein Powder was in broth, other than that it is terrible.

I use GENEPRO everyday in my Espresso. I love it. I have tried others but I couldn't do it. I was on Premuir Protein Drinks for 2 weeks Preop and then 4 weeks Postop. I had exploisive "Back door trots". Finally, he said that I was Lactose Intolerant. Sure wish I had known that little tid bit. LOL I would really hate to see how much money I have spent for the last 4 years on different Protein. It was good thing that my nephew drinks protein for his health!! Thats what he told his Teenage son. LOL GENEPRO is all I have used for 2 years. I only use it for my Breakfast or lunch. Then I eat a meal at dinner. This has worked the best for me. The thing is each and everyone of us have to find our nitch and do what we have to do to be successful in our Journey. Have an AWESOME Thursday!! KEEP ON KEEPING ON.

So some people think this is gross but I sometimes make a V8 Protein Shake. I use Isopure unflavored and a can of regular V8. Add in a little extra Water and shake, shake, shake. If it is too much sodium, they make a low sodium version. It definitely isn't sweet! It isn't totally unflavored but it works well when added to something savory like Soups.

I like to drink it after a workout because it is good Protein and since I sweat a lot, the V8 replaces electrolytes.

Also I have to take lactaid with anything dairy. I've found I don't need to when I use Isopure powder.

All the best!