Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weed smoker about to get bypass

so yes i have been debating on posting this topic but i need answers i am an weed smoker prolly about 2-3 times a day i am geting the gastric bypass on sept 21 im not sure if i should quit smoking bc of the possibility of complications during surgery from smoking..i have looked it up online and nothing says weed can cause issues during surgery but nothing definite was wondering if there was anyone else who has quit prior to surgery for that reason

It wouldn't hurt to quit, but afterward you will definitely want to take a break. You don't want to risk a coughing fit, and you need to build up your lung strength as well. It helps to let your lungs get as clear as possible pre-op. There are other factors about cigarette smoking specifically that impair your ability to heal your best that I don't think apply to marijuana, but the coughing post-op is no joke. (btdt)

Yeah. If you can taper off and give yourself at least a week and a half to 2 weeks before surgery. I am a weed smoker. And after the surgery i waited till my stomach stopped hurting because of the coughing. Munchies aren't the same for me post op. I am almost a year post and smoke every day. Just be mindful of the dry mouth. I use that to get in an extra 4 to 5 bottles of Water sometimes lol.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, Torriluv87 said:

I am almost a year post and smoke every day. Just be mindful of the dry mouth.

I am 4 years post op sleeve and still have this problem... try Biotene dry mouth spray. That stuff is amazing.

I am 4 years post op sleeve and still have this problem... try Biotene dry mouth spray. That stuff is amazing.

Thanks! I always just drank a ton of Water cause it doesn't last. Usually when I've freshly smoked. But ill definitely keep that in mind.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, jchilion2589 said:

so yes i have been debating on posting this topic but i need answers i am an weed smoker prolly about 2-3 times a day i am geting the gastric bypass on sept 21 im not sure if i should quit smoking bc of the possibility of complications during surgery from smoking..i have looked it up online and nothing says weed can cause issues during surgery but nothing definite was wondering if there was anyone else who has quit prior to surgery for that reason

don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of weed and I'm not telling you to stop smoking it.

but 2-3 times a day, all day? come on, friend, you KNOW that is too much.

why don't you take this surgery as an opportunity to do a whole body reset/detox. go a month without the ganj. two weeks leading up to surgery and two weeks after. then add weed back into you life at maybe a bit less frequent rate.

if anything, it'll help you get higher in the future because your tolerance will lower by giving your cannabis receptors a break/restart.

and yes, it will make your surgery safer. the anesthesiologist needs optimal O2 exchange in your lungs and I'm going to guess your lungs are not in optimal condition right now.

Edited by JohnnyCakes

You could always make your weed edibles for six weeks 3 weeks before the surgery in three weeks after. I'm also on medical cannabis, but I can't stand to smoke it! However I do smoke an e-cigarette, and I think I'm in trouble! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

dude's gone.

he probably forgot he started this thread! :lol:

Smokers of any kind. The smoke damages your lungs, lung capacity and oxygen exchange putting you at risk for impaired wound healing, pneumonia, infection and sepsis. Yes this applies to nicotine AND marijuana AND vaping.

Do yourself a favor and quit. Yes I know it's hard, yes I used to smoke.

Edibles? Ehhhh dealers choice. Just make sure you can stay on program.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I understand I really need to give up the vape for the surgery and I will,, but the marijuana is medically necessary. I use them under my pain docs orders instead of opiates (which my body does not metabolize) and I know I won't be able to go off it. My pain doc would kill me.

I understand I really need to give up the vape for the surgery and I will,, but the marijuana is medically necessary. I use them under my pain docs orders instead of opiates (which my body does not metabolize) and I know I won't be able to go off it. My pain doc would kill me.

The nicotine in your Vape will impair healing too. Ask for help from your doc if needed. Chantix worked for me, but can be hard to tolerate. Be strong. You can do this! Good luck. It's life changing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks so much for the info and support! We're all in it together, right?!?

For any others who may search for weed or cannabis plus bariatric surgery there are a few more points to consider.

Coughing after surgery is painful. When I had my gastric band it was painful to cough for awhile afterwards. If you decide to use again, take very small green hits from clean accessories and don't hold it in.

Speaking of clean, be very careful with the quality of your flowers and accessories. It can be easy to introduce a bacterial or fungal infection into your body from tainted products.

And also speaking of coughing, it very likely will make you barf post op. At least in the beginning.

A form of edible to try that may be more advantageous to you would be a mouth spray or tinture. The THC is absorbed through the mouth rather than the small intestine where edibles like baked goods, candies or soda is absorbed.

While cannabis may aid in physically healing, it may disconnect you from the psychological healing. Post op is the time when you are learning your new stomach and digestive symptoms as well as reshaping your approach to food. You will want to be paying very close attention so that you can get the most out of the post op honeymoon phase and be as healthy as possible.

And lastly, because of the disconnect in Federal verses State laws, if you need pain meds for any significant amount of time, be prepared to hear from the doctor that you will need to start piss testing clean from cannabis or they won't perscribe anything for you.

(I am a national advocate for cannabis and travel to DC once a year to lobby for safe access policies)

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi OP,

I had surgery 4/5/17 and Ive been smoking weed since probably 2-3 weeks post op. I DID quit smoking cigarettes 2 months prior to surgery and didn't smoke weed very much as well but I do smoke about once a day usually right before bed. Munchies are still very real and I've had my over eating experience sober and not sober and you really need to train yourself to keep your pouch in mind (I usually have a small amount of halo top or a granola bar if i get the munchies). Either way I don't feel that my pouch has been bothered by weed. Hope that helps!

Thanks folks for ALL of the great care and info!!