Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best exercise for front of thighs?

So I'm down about 105 lbs, still have another 100-125 left to lose. I'd like to start walking to gain strength in my legs and hopefully kick start the weight loss so more. Just curious if there are other exercises besides walking that will widdle down the front of my thighs. Those are the worst for me. I've always had a big leg (even when I was smaller) and even though I've gone from a size 32/34 jeans down to a size 24, my legs are still my downfall. I hate them. I'm also newly diagnosed with arthritis in my right knee. :(

Lunges are great for strengthening your legs (quads, hamstrings, & glutes). And if your goal is to work your quads-upper leg, you should take a shorter step when lunging.

Step ups also work the quads well.

I know for me that the leg press machine at planet fitness is making a big difference in my quadriceps. If you are looking at doing something at home, I suggest squats or lunges. Those always strengthen those muscles too. Feel the burn!

All of those exercises are going to build muscle and make your legs bigger. If you are still a size 24 with a 52 BMI, it is just fat you need to lose. Lose another 75 pounds and it is going to come off your legs. Even with loose skin on my thighs I lost over 12 inches off each of my thighs and 4 inches off my calves. Just with walking and weight loss.

When you state super morbidly obese, it takes a lot longer to get to where you want to be.

If you want slimmer legs the only way to do it is walking or running. You have to burn the fat. Period.

Yoga, Pilates, and T-Tapp will help you lean out also, they will tighten your muscles and help you burn fat.

Weighs at the gym are exactly what you don't want to do.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

47 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Any increase in muscle mass will aid in fat loss, and the posterior chain is comprised of the largest muscles in the body. So on one hand, weight in the gym is a good idea. However, if small legs is the goal, then you are right.

You should build up the muscle a bit, I would do some reps of light weight exercises, so as to not add bulk and to be gentle on your arthritic knee. I would also add in adequate stretching, look up modified yoga poses for plus size and you'll get a good idea how to make sure you stretch and lengthen yourself as much as you can.

@makemyownluck

OP started with a BMI of 70, she has plenty of muscle in her legs just from carrying that weight. She is still at a BMI of 52, she needs to drop the excess fat to get the results. OP is still at a higher point than most people even start at. Telling her to try and add muscle for definition is useless. You can't see muscles under layers of fat.

Plus she wants smaller legs, she can only get there by losing more weight. That is going to help with her arthritis. I have arthritis in my knee, once I got under 220, not one pain, no matter how much I walk. No aches with the rain, nothing, it is like it never even happened. The solution to most problems is lose more weight.

I feel your pain of having arthritis in knee. I'm grade 4 OA in my right knee. I can tell you that every pound that comes off makes it easier to walk and exercise. Keep it up!

On 9/6/2017 at 1:37 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

@makemyownluck

OP started with a BMI of 70, she has plenty of muscle in her legs just from carrying that weight. She is still at a BMI of 52, she needs to drop the excess fat to get the results. OP is still at a higher point than most people even start at. Telling her to try and add muscle for definition is useless. You can't see muscles under layers of fat.

Plus she wants smaller legs, she can only get there by losing more weight. That is going to help with her arthritis. I have arthritis in my knee, once I got under 220, not one pain, no matter how much I walk. No aches with the rain, nothing, it is like it never even happened. The solution to most problems is lose more weight.

Totally agree. I didn’t have as much to lose but I had aches and pains on top of my aches and pains. They all left once I lost a certain amount of weight. Especially legs and feet. But lower back too.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:52 AM, Lovin2lose said:

So I'm down about 105 lbs, still have another 100-125 left to lose. I'd like to start walking to gain strength in my legs and hopefully kick start the weight loss so more. Just curious if there are other exercises besides walking that will widdle down the front of my thighs. Those are the worst for me. I've always had a big leg (even when I was smaller) and even though I've gone from a size 32/34 jeans down to a size 24, my legs are still my downfall. I hate them. I'm also newly diagnosed with arthritis in my right knee. :(

Fantastic you are down 105!

Ask your Dr if he wants to limit you from any types of workouts due to arthritis. Most of us have medical and pain issues. If you are released to strength train there are many benefits for women.

My two cents ---take what is useful and ignore the rest

All of us carry weight differently. We have no control if it's in your midsection, butt or legs etc. Working out just one muscle or body part won't get you results you are looking for. With any exercise cardio or weightlifting start slow. It will progress with time as you gain strength.

I did a combination of cardio and strength training at 254 pounds. 30 mins to an hour Walking and elliptical ( easier on my knees) second 30 mins to an hour of weightlifting The gym set me up with a beginner all over body weight lifting workout.

As your lean muscle increases so does your resting metabolism, and you burn more calories all day long. Generally speaking, for each pound of muscle you gain, you burn 35 to 50 more calories each day. That can really add up.

After 30 we all start to lose muscle. Building and keeping muscle mass is going to make a difference as we age.......Yes, think down the road. What quality of life do you want as a senior citizen?

You will only get "Bulky" on steroids or a seriously controlled nutrition and training program.

Read link below 10 reasons why women should lift.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/franco7.htm

• lose body fat
  • reduce your risk of osteoporosis
  • gain strength without bulking up
  • reduce your risk of injury, back pain and arthritis
  • Reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes
  • Helps fight depression.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:44 AM, OutsideMatchInside said:

All of those exercises are going to build muscle and make your legs bigger. If you are still a size 24 with a 52 BMI, it is just fat you need to lose. Lose another 75 pounds and it is going to come off your legs. Even with loose skin on my thighs I lost over 12 inches off each of my thighs and 4 inches off my calves. Just with walking and weight loss.

When you state super morbidly obese, it takes a lot longer to get to where you want to be.

If you want slimmer legs the only way to do it is walking or running. You have to burn the fat. Period.

Yoga, Pilates, and T-Tapp will help you lean out also, they will tighten your muscles and help you burn fat.

I disagree.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:37 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

@makemyownluck

Many of us have medical issues that need to be cleared by a professional. I'd hate to see anyone get injured from working out.

I have scoliosis and arthritis in my back, hips and knees. I have experienced benefits in strength training...But, It's not for everyone.

It's not all about gaining definition and looking like a fitness model...

Strength training not only builds stronger muscles, but also builds stronger connective tissues and increases joint stability. This acts as reinforcement for the joints and helps prevent injury.

A recent 12-year study showed that strengthening the low-back muscles had an 80 percent success rate in eliminating or alleviating low-back pain. Other studies have indicated that weight training can ease the pain of osteoarthritis and strengthen joints.

Studies performed by Wayne Westcott, PhD, from the South Shore YMCA in Quincy, Massachusetts, found that the average woman who strength trains two to three times a week for two months will gain nearly two pounds of muscle and will lose 3.5 pounds of fat.

As your lean muscle increases so does your resting metabolism, and you burn more calories all day long. Generally speaking, for each pound of muscle you gain, you burn 35 to 50 more calories each day. That can really add up.

Researchers also found that unlike men, women typically don't gain size from strength training, because compared to men, women have 10 to 30 times less of the hormones that cause muscle hypertrophy. You will, however, develop muscle tone and definition. This is a bonus.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/franco7.htm

To the original poster..This may be a bit off your topic.

Just for bariatric motivation...This woman is amazing! not saying anyone should take bariatrics as far she has. Lyss Remaly - Bariatric motivational speaker