Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all October sleevers!!

12th Oct before 11am.

You know the timing already??

1. My GP gave me a bariatric surgeon referral to Mark Gately. (July 5)
2. Mark Gately's staff said I have to attend a full disclosure information night run by Mark and his partner doctor. (July 12)
3. After the info night, I had a half hour interview with Mark. (July 17)
4. Three days later I met the managing dietitian who spent almost an hour telling all and finding out about my food history etc. She gave me a four-week pre-surgery plan and a one-year post-surgery plan in a folder. (July 27)
5. The following fortnight I was examined in detail by the anaesthetist. (Aug 14)
6. Mark Gately had me back to offer a surgery date of Oct 12. (Sept 4)
Six visits counting my GP and the "mandatory" info night. Out of pocket expenses in paying for these visits was upfront about $630. My health insurance refunded about $140 and the Australian national health scheme refunded about $335. So, in reality, $155 of my ready cash.

Gotta love Australia!

7 minutes ago, njgal said:

Gotta love Australia!

Bill, Barack and Hillary have been trying to convince Americans for 25+ years to have a Universal National Heath Scheme like Canada, the UK, nearly all of Europe, Australia and New Zealand.

I can't believe Americans are frightened of "free" universal health care paid for by their taxes ... like the rest of the world.

You must have powerful doctors' lobby groups!

Bill, Barack and Hillary have been trying to convince Americans for 25+ years to have a Universal National Heath Scheme like Canada, the UK, nearly all of Europe, Australia and New Zealand.
I can't believe Americans are frightened of "free" universal health care paid for by their taxes ... like the rest of the world.

That and a whole bunch of ignoramuses I'm afraid!

And don't forget about insurance companies!

How many visit did you Oct sleever have to make? Because I thought I would be in October but the coordinator said November

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm in Australia, and I believe we do things differently here. I had an initial appointment with the surgeon to discuss my interest in doing WLS, and the surgeon explained the options although I had already decided on the sleeve.

Next, I had to attend 4 appointments: dietitian, psychologist, physician, and surgeon. Last one (surgeon) is on 18 Sept. Then I start my 2 weeks shakes to prepare for surgery (Oct 10).

How many visit did you Oct sleever have to make? Because I thought I would be in October but the coordinator said November

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

I went for my first visit to the MD end of July. Saw dietician the same day. He gave me a list of tests to have done. I made apts for all. The last test was an endoscopy that I couldn't schedule until end of Sept. I went to a support group that night. Got insurance approval 1 week later but had to schedule surgery 10 days or more after endoscopy so ended up with date of 10/10

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

On 9/5/2017 at 11:33 PM, Greeneyedmama said:

Oct 2nd!

Same here! Super excited and scared at the same time!

Mine will likely be 3rd week of October. Last NUT appt September 12

So.....insurance approved in ONE DAY!

Scheduled for Oct 24th 7:30AM YIKES!