Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Without getting into a conversation about if I should or should not have it. Have any of you eaten popcorn post op? Is it a slider? Does it swell up? Does it get stuck? Have you had flavored popcorns, not caramel popcorn?

I was wondering the same thing. popcorn is my thing and I hope someday to have it again!

I am 6 weeks post op and had about 1/4 cup of popcorn last week. Some was cheese, caramel, and chocolate Peanut Butter drizzled popcorn. I had no issues. That being said, everyone is different and you should keep that in mind. I chewed really well, too, by the way!

I had my first popcorn after 6 months recovery. The kernel shells alone are terrifying to a new tummy. It is a slider and it is a carb so it's not to be eaten often for me. I'm still 20-30 lbs away from being moving to maintenance so very little popcorn for me at this point.

popcorn is a definite slider for me. I stay away from it because it provides me zero in the way of fullness or satiety and I can eat unlimited quantities of it.

My mantra is "Protein first."

popcorn doesn't slide for me. I can eat more of it than I probably should - say, 2 cups - but I'm definitely in the minority. For most people, it's a slider. I get full on it, and it's uncomfortable if I do eat so much I get full. It's also given me digestive issues, if you're picking up what I'm putting down. Definitely not my favorite thing to eat. And I'm not carb-avoidant. I eat about 100 g a day, sometimes a little more.

I'm 7 out. If I eat it, I usually measure a cup out and only eat that. I think I first tried popcorn around a year out, only because I lived overseas when I was sleeved and didn't go to a theater or have a reason to try it before then.

Cheri

I've had a couple of the individual sized bags of Skinny Pop, no issues at all. My only mental problem was briefly wishing I had a nice Diet Dr. Pepper to wash it down, but that passed quickly. :)

16 minutes ago, clk said:

I'm not carb-avoidant. I eat about 100 g a day, sometimes a little more.

While 100 grams of carbs per day is not low-carb, it's certainly less than the standard for the carb-controlled diet commonly prescribed to certain patients / clients in healthcare facilities.

Anything below 250g of carbs (CHO) per day is considered carb-controlled, especially considering the US govt food pyramid recommends a whopping 300+ grams daily (6 to 11 servings).

For instance, the house carb-controlled diet prescribed by University of California at San Francisco Medical Center contains 1800 calories daily with 200 to 250g of carbs:

http://nutrition.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/internalsite/inpatient/StandardTherapueiticDietDefinitions.pdf

Anyhow, sorry for digressing...I tolerate popcorn without any issues and could graze myself to the bottom of a 5-pound bag if left to my own faulty devices, so I don't eat it.

I don't see how anyone sleeved could eat that. Really. Really!

On a big day, I'll hit 120. For most folks here, with the exception of people that really work out (definitely not me) that'll sound like a lot. I really don't think it is. I can't eat a lot of calories or I gain - I'm at 1200-1300 to maintain. MFP thinks that's low, and also that I need more carbs. But I eat grains, breads, veggies, a variety of foods - don't feel deprived. I just don't really have room for more or want more. It's working for now. I have to be careful to keep eating them, because avoiding them does make me lose, as I discovered by accident a little bit ago.

Anyway, thanks for that info. I, personally feel that while I think we all need carbs and balance in our diets, 250-300 seems excessive. Maybe years of sleeved life have skewed my perspective.

Cheri

7 hours ago, clk said:

I don't see how anyone sleeved could eat that. Really. Really!

I eat anywhere from 120 to 200g of carbs daily...but I'm physically active via 20+ miles of running per week and heavy weightlifting 3 times weekly, so my body uses the carbs.

I also maintain a body weight of 118 to 122 lbs while eating in the 2000 to 2300 calories-per-day range. Lifting heavy weights allows me to eat more without storing it as body fat.

You best believe I'd curtail my carb intake (and caloric intake) in a New York minute if I lived a more sedentary lifestyle because I know it would probably spell REGAIN.

Cool. Thanks everyone. Sounds like if I want a handful of popcorn it may not kill me! Swell to the size of my head and burst my stomach open. I do like popcorn and I working on really not depriving myself of things I like. Just figuring out where it fits into my new life. Right now I'm low carb, below 30/ day, so no popcorn for awhile.

popcorn is not a slider for me personally, I can eat maybe a handful and that's more than enough for me. Also I wasn't a huge fan of popcorn pre-surgery, I can take it or leave it, so I don't eat it often anyway but when I do it sits fine. I also eat between 90-110 grams of carbs a day per my surgeon and NUT.

popcorn is a definite slider for me. I stay away from it because it provides me zero in the way of fullness or satiety and I can eat unlimited quantities of it.
My mantra is "Protein first."

Ugh me too. We went to the movies this weekend and I was shocked at how much popcorn I could eat. Check that off the list. Sigh.

popcorn was on the list of foods never to eat again for the rest of my life even the fat free kind. I didn't ask my Dr. why but maybe I'll ask at my next appointment.

Edited by Hoolahoopster

On 9/6/2017 at 10:23 AM, Introversion said:

While 100 grams of carbs per day is not low-carb, it's certainly less than the standard for the carb-controlled diet commonly prescribed to certain patients / clients in healthcare facilities.

Anything below 250g of carbs (CHO) per day is considered carb-controlled, especially considering the US govt food pyramid recommends a whopping 300+ grams daily (6 to 11 servings).

For instance, the house carb-controlled diet prescribed by University of California at San Francisco Medical Center contains 1800 calories daily with 200 to 250g of carbs:

http://nutrition.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/internalsite/inpatient/StandardTherapueiticDietDefinitions.pdf

Anyhow, sorry for digressing...I tolerate popcorn without any issues and could graze myself to the bottom of a 5-pound bag if left to my own faulty devices, so I don't eat it.

I am currently eating popcorn as a snack every night. I miss feeling full and I guess eating in general. I have stalled my weight loss for the past two months with my little nightly ritual. I could easily lose 10-20 more pounds if I laid off... Popcorn is a slippery slope. 😐