Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Eating/Coping Mechanisms

I've always been an emotional eater and as I get myself ready for surgery next week, I'm wondering how the veterans...those who have lost the weight and kept it off for more than a year or two...dealt with stress and other emotions, once you were no longer acting out with food.
I've just started seeing a therapist, to work on these issues, but there's nothing like hearing from those who have lived it. What worked/works for you? I'm looking for tools to help me succeed. Thanks!

Hello I just got sleeved 8/24 and I am also an emotional eater I am still on liquids and find myself wanting and craving food at that point I get an ice pop(sugar free) and just eat it if that doesn't work I go for a walk drink Water and it really helps please continue to see the therapist because the surgeon only fixes your stomach not your addiction the struggle can be real

In addition to seeing a counselor, I exercise for stress relief and emotional soothing. Exercise is a natural antidepressant:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-is-an-all-natural-treatment-to-fight-depression

So far, it has worked...my mother died earlier this year and I regained no weight, not a single pound, during the ordeal. It was because I used more adaptive ways to cope with the loss.

My way of coping with negative emotions is to allow myself to feel them. food, drugs, gambling, risky sex and other compulsions are ways to escape negative emotions when the focus should be on feeling the negative emotions and partaking in self-discovery.

Joy and pain are parcels of life. To fully embrace life, we must feel the pain as intently as we feel the joy. Escaping the pain or distracting ourselves from it with food is a fast path to nowhere.

14 minutes ago, Introversion said:

In addition to seeing a counselor, I exercise for stress relief and emotional soothing. Exercise is a natural antidepressant:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-is-an-all-natural-treatment-to-fight-depression

So far, it has worked...my mother died earlier this year and I regained no weight, not a single pound, during the ordeal. It was because I used more adaptive ways to cope with the loss.

My way of coping with negative emotions is to allow myself to feel them. food, drugs, gambling, risky sex and other compulsions are ways to escape negative emotions when the focus should be on feeling the negative emotions and partaking in self-discovery.

Joy and pain are parcels of life. To fully embrace life, we must feel the pain as intently as we feel the joy. Escaping the pain or distracting ourselves from it with food is a fast path to nowhere.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but so encouraged to hear that you were able to cope without turning to food. My greatest fear is that I'm going to go through all of this only to end up back here...and that's why I am so actively trying to find healthier ways to process my emotions. I truly do believe your words.

15 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

@Introversion Beautifully said. I'm sorry for your loss!

Thanks. I appreciate it. :)

13 hours ago, Introversion said:

I exercise for stress relief and emotional soothing. Exercise is a natural antidepressant:

I agree with this method. Running is my stress relief and time to just think about everything and be in my own little zone. If I have to miss a day I don't like it now.

This was me! I was sleeved on 4/27/15. I got down to goal and kept that weight for over a year. I am currently pregnant and still within goal weight range. Anyway, I found that food was really no longer a comfort for me. Yes, food is great. yes, I still crave certain foods sometimes. But, it is not what I run for now. I cannot eat like I used to. I practice a diet of moderation. I eat chips, Cookies, cake, ice cream, Chinese, Mexican, Pasta, you name it. Just not everyday, and just not very much. I actually take the time to listen to my body and realize that most of the time I am not really hungry. I also am committed to exercise. Before getting pregnant I was running 5 days a week, going to weight lifting class 2 times a week, and zumba once a week. I also picked up some other hobbies like sewing, scrapbooking, soap-making, etc. I find that when I am idle, I think about food more. I am almost always in motion...from working, to chasing my toddler, to doing school work, to training our puppy, planting flowers, etc. I just have so much more energy now (even pregnant) and an object in motion tends to stay in motion. If I try to lie around all day, I feel disgusting. Before, I used to spend all of my time on the couch watching TV or reading a book.

I think you are doing well by seeking counseling. It helps.

2 minutes ago, AnA92212 said:

This was me! I was sleeved on 4/27/15. I got down to goal and kept that weight for over a year. I am currently pregnant and still within goal weight range. Anyway, I found that food was really no longer a comfort for me. Yes, food is great. yes, I still crave certain foods sometimes. But, it is not what I run for now. I cannot eat like I used to. I practice a diet of moderation. I eat chips, Cookies, cake, ice cream, Chinese, Mexican, Pasta, you name it. Just not everyday, and just not very much. I actually take the time to listen to my body and realize that most of the time I am not really hungry. I also am committed to exercise. Before getting pregnant I was running 5 days a week, going to weight lifting class 2 times a week, and zumba once a week. I also picked up some other hobbies like sewing, scrapbooking, soap-making, etc. I find that when I am idle, I think about food more. I am almost always in motion...from working, to chasing my toddler, to doing school work, to training our puppy, planting flowers, etc. I just have so much more energy now (even pregnant) and an object in motion tends to stay in motion. If I try to lie around all day, I feel disgusting. Before, I used to spend all of my time on the couch watching TV or reading a book.

I think you are doing well by seeking counseling. It helps.

This is helpful! Even pre-op, I've started at the gym. Because of my weight and my knees I'm very limited in what I can do, but three mornings a week, I get in the pool. I do a very low impact Water walking class. I doubt I burn a lot of calories doing it, but I definitely feel the difference in my mobility from getting off the couch and moving and I think that's a good start. On Fridays I stay and take an extra class, aqua zumba...that one burns more calories and gets a little more cardio in. I really enjoy the classes. I've always liked being in the water...and the feeling of being weightless in the pool is wonderful. My plan is to work my way up to more intense water classes and even start swimming laps at some point.

This is great! Keep 'em coming! :)