Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I am having sleeve surgery on 9/27 and I'm starting to freak out a bit. I came to in the OR after my lap band removal, in the most agonizing pain that I've ever felt, thinking that I was dead. I have asked my surgeon MANY times to please make sure that this doesn't happen to me this time, and while he assures me that it won't, I still can't get that vision of waking up out of my head.

Please tell me that this isn't irrational and that rethinking this surgery would be anyones natural reaction. I feel like I'm kind of losing my mind!

It's normal to be afraid. ALL surgeries come with some pain. I recommend discussing your fears with you anesthesiologist the day of as well.

I was done 8/31 and had lots of pain the first 3 days but it started after I was in my room and my surgery had some technical difficulties that made my incisions more painful. Also they did a spinal block as well which helped.

This pain is a small price to pay for long-term success in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am a few days post op and trust me a week before I was about to have the surgery I practically had a nervous breakdown. I am self pay for the surgery and I was honestly thinking of running away with the money and just starting a new life. I was at a point like what the hell are you doing and it took my mom to set me down and talk to me. You are making a sacrifice to build the life you always wanted and to see yourself in new light. Don't worry about the pain think about how you're going to feel 12 months from now hitting your personal goals.

And as for pain for my surgery my doctor used two types of anesthesia. The regular one that makes you sleep and he also used a t block (or it might be a v block can't remember lol) basically what it does is numb the adbomen similar to a epidural that they give to women in labor. The tap last for a few days and definitely reduced my pain significantly. My first day was the most painful I was at about a 7 pain wise after surgery. But a few hours after I was walking around and drinking was discharged the next day. Now I'm at about a 2/3 when I move around but if I'm just relaxing at home I'm not usually in my pain at all. Walking definitely helps a lot with the pain. Good luck!

16 hours ago, LeezaSleeved said:

I am a few days post op and trust me a week before I was about to have the surgery I practically had a nervous breakdown. I am self pay for the surgery and I was honestly thinking of running away with the money and just starting a new life. I was at a point like what the hell are you doing and it took my mom to set me down and talk to me. You are making a sacrifice to build the life you always wanted and to see yourself in new light. Don't worry about the pain think about how you're going to feel 12 months from now hitting your personal goals.

And as for pain for my surgery my doctor used two types of anesthesia. The regular one that makes you sleep and he also used a t block (or it might be a v block can't remember lol) basically what it does is numb the adbomen similar to a epidural that they give to women in labor. The tap last for a few days and definitely reduced my pain significantly. My first day was the most painful I was at about a 7 pain wise after surgery. But a few hours after I was walking around and drinking was discharged the next day. Now I'm at about a 2/3 when I move around but if I'm just relaxing at home I'm not usually in my pain at all. Walking definitely helps a lot with the pain. Good luck!

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. It's not the post surgical pain that concerns me, everyone has that to some degree. It's waking up in the OR before they give you that initial dosage of pain meds that has me freaked out. I had the lap band in 05 and it was the easiest, most pain-free experience of my life, however, when I had it removed in April of this year, it was a different story. It wasn't the agonizing pain like I awoke in the OR to, but it was extreme soreness and some 5/6 level pain the next day when I was released from the hospital that quickly dissipated to just soreness that lasted for about 7-10 days, making it difficult to fully stand up.

Those first few night I slept on the sofa because it was too much discomfort to climb the staircase to my bedroom. I used a step stool to get in and out of bed for about 2 weeks afterward and slept exclusively on my back due to the discomfort that I experienced laying flat or on either side. I developed an abscess in one of my incisions that required the reopening one of the incision used to remove the port that had to be packed for 3 weeks afterward that was WAY more painful that any surgery I've ever had.

I know that I'm doing the right thing, and I'm actually quite excited to get the ball rolling. It's been nearly a full year since I had my first appointment with my surgeon and it's about time to move forward and to get on the losers side of the weight game.

Each person's experience is different. I've had seven surgeries, I think it is, and this one was different than the previous six! I did wake up in a lot of pain, which lasted for a few minutes until they had the pain meds working. After that: no pain. Seriously, I was not in pain at all in the hospital and not at all since I've come home. I am not taking anything for pain now, not even Tylenol.

I know my experience is not typical, but I'm not complaining. My point is that you simply don't know what to expect until it happens. (And it's not like I don't know what pain is--I had an open hysterectomy a couple of years ago. Plenty of pain then.)

Good luck!

3 hours ago, themaestroswife said:

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. It's not the post surgical pain that concerns me, everyone has that to some degree. It's waking up in the OR before they give you that initial dosage of pain meds that has me freaked out. I had the lap band in 05 and it was the easiest, most pain-free experience of my life, however, when I had it removed in April of this year, it was a different story. It wasn't the agonizing pain like I awoke in the OR to, but it was extreme soreness and some 5/6 level pain the next day when I was released from the hospital that quickly dissipated to just soreness that lasted for about 7-10 days, making it difficult to fully stand up.

Those first few night I slept on the sofa because it was too much discomfort to climb the staircase to my bedroom. I used a step stool to get in and out of bed for about 2 weeks afterward and slept exclusively on my back due to the discomfort that I experienced laying flat or on either side. I developed an abscess in one of my incisions that required the reopening one of the incision used to remove the port that had to be packed for 3 weeks afterward that was WAY more painful that any surgery I've ever had.

I know that I'm doing the right thing, and I'm actually quite excited to get the ball rolling. It's been nearly a full year since I had my first appointment with my surgeon and it's about time to move forward and to get on the losers side of the weight game.

I definitely understand that too. I guess this is something you can talk to your surgeon about. Let him know your concerns I'm sure he will be able to work out a good pain management system for your recovery and give you a few pointers. Sounds like they already put you through the wringer with the last one so this should be a breeze. I had some trouble sleeping as well for the first few nights. I found walking before bed helped and also sleeping on my side with the use of small pillows (which i was given by the hospital) helped to hold my stomach into a comfy position. play around with different pillows and positions and we're all rooting for you. Good Luck !!

It's normal to feel that way my surgery was on 9/4 a day before i was so nervous I think i even cried i tried to sleep it off but no luck even my husband was scared thankfully everything went great im not gonna lie right after surgery i was out of it in allot of pain nauseous and vomiting, I even had that regret feeling. I wasn't tolerating liquids at all the first 3 days now im doing allot better follow up next week i know in the end it will all be worth it
Stay strong and positive

Weight 5 days before surgery 403
The day of the surgery i was down to 391 and before discharged i was at 380