Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Vegetarian Life

Your eating at 3 months is anything you can handle. I had great restriction from the beginning so I had a shake for Breakfast and regular tiny meals for lunch and dinner. I also had Protein Bars for Snacks.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

I use to eat Quorn but they have an ingredient in it that Vegetarian or Vegans don’t eat, don’t remember, just read and research the ingredients before you buy!!!

Quorn is vegetarian, at least the ones sold in the US. Some products do contain milk and egg. But all products are safe for vegetarians. The vegan products have even been accredited by the Vegan Society.

Beans and nuts are not the only plant-based foods that contain Protein. Literally every plant-based food contains protein. Rice and broccoli have protein. Potatoes have protein. Pasta has protein. Wraps and breads have protein.

How to get to 46 grams of protein on a 1200 calorie plant-based diet without using shakes?

Breakfast: 1/4 cup oatmeal (half a normal serving), half a cup of soymilk, half a serving of sliced almonds, half a banana = 250 calories, 11g protein

Snack: 2 tbsp hummus on 1 slice toasted ezekiel bread = 150 calories, 6g protein

Lunch: 1/2 cup refried beans, half a sweet potato roasted, 1 tbsp guacamole, 1 whole wheat wrap = 300 calories, 12g protein

Snack: 1/4 cup pistachios, 1 mandarin = 200 calories, 7g protein

Dinner: 1 oz whole grain pasta, marinara, 1/2 cup frozen spinach, 1/2 cup cannellini beans = 300 calories, 15g protein

Total: 1200 calories, 51g protein

Protein is not some magical hard-to-find nutrient. It's in everything. And yes, in the beginning, the real estate in your stomach will be limited. Obviously supplementation is required then, just like it is for people eating meat. As you can eat more, you'll be able to fit plenty of plant-based protein in your stomach. This kind of fear-mongering is silly. If people after WLS can eat fast food and pizza "in moderation," you can eat sufficient plant food to meet your protein goal. And if you're worried, have a vegan Protein Shake or eat a vegan Protein Bar.

And yes, you absolutely can get too much protein in your diet. High protein diets are hard on the kidneys in particular, and animal protein is linked with heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.

I love how eating meat is a given and you don't have to worry or do extensive math or have some strategically planned diet to be nutritious, but eating plants - OMG, no, call a medical summit to analyze it first!

Sorry... I really should not post late at night while on a liquid diet. My attitude is terrible.

Edited by Little Green

6 hours ago, Little Green said:

I love how eating meat is a given and you don't have to worry or do extensive math or have some strategically planned diet to be nutritious, but eating plants - OMG, no, call a medical summit to analyze it first!

Bahahahajajajaja!!!! :lol: That's good. :)

For anyone who is doubting: I eat plants, a lot of it. I eat lots of Beans, kale, quinoa, just to name a few. I haven't had any issues not meeting Protein levels, 1) don't need as much as we're led to believe (western issue) 2) my work ups for the doc prove this. My system is very regular, although I haven't tested this, I'm quite sure my arteries are clear of fat and plaques, I have lots of energy, my body feels good. The only time it doesn't is if I eat processed foods and the occassional meat (holidays)-so I stay away from it for the most part--and I save tons of money too not buying those things. I lift weights and have been gaining my muscle. I jiggled my thighs yesterday for my hubby and showed him how much less jiggle there is! Satisfying!

I've been at this for almost a year now...so, it is very doable.

Hey, one more thing...before surgery and my change in lifestyle diet, I had excrutiating (sp?) heartburn. I haven't had one episode of it since. Now, that's pretty amazing...and I'm pretty sure it's eating healthy plant based foods. :)

Edited by Newme17

On 9/6/2017 at 10:59 AM, Apple1 said:

At 3.5 months post-op I have found it pretty easy to transition. I am still eating some dairy, but have not consumed any meat in about 2 weeks now. I think until you are on solid foods it may be difficult, but I don't know.

I am happy if I get anywhere from 45-55g of Protein. I figure I am healed and that number is working for me. A Protein Shake for Breakfast helps a lot. I am eating salad almost everyday because the leafy greens are so healthy!! I usually have a serving of whole grain at dinner with some Beans, or tofu, veggies, ect... For a snack some times Peanut Butter on a couple of whole grain crackers, a serving of fruit, or a Protein Bar if I feel like I am running low.

I really want to eliminate cheese once and for all. I have only eaten it 2 times in 3 weeks so it is slowly leaving.

I am very interested in reading your post. I am a non-dairy/no meat eater so I'm trying to plan best for post-surgery. It's hard without Beans and rice, etc.

On 10/1/2017 at 9:07 AM, Zane's Mom said:

I wasn't vegan right after surgery. However it is totally possible. You can change to vegan Protein Shakes and bars. My #1 app is food Monster. It is all vegan recipes. Also the Minimalist baker.

But for right after surgery, I would absolutely make sure you have and love your food processor. Then find your high Protein veggies, Beans, lentils, etc, and blend them if you need to. Also vegan tuna is the bomb.

You can make almost anything vegan. And I promise the weight will come off plus the surgery.

With the surgery I only recorded losses on my fitness pal. I never recorded a stall or a slight gain. That way everything was always going down. I was excited when I could make a new entry.

It's just what worked for me. I did have a shake in the morning for the first three years.

Please feel free to message me and I'll share any vegan info with anyone. I love my lifestyle and chose it for myself, my family, my earth, and the animals.

My nutritionist says to decrease starches post surgery, which is mainly what I eat as a vegan