Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Vegetarian Life

6 hours ago, SusanG81 said:

How about we all share a recipe or so with eachother? Lol even ones with meat because even though I'm a vegetarian my kids are not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I get almost all my vegan/vegetarian recipes from budgetbytes.com very easy and cheaper too. There are a few of us in the Proteinaholic thread that share recipe links and pics if you'd like to check those out as well.

Select FOLLOW on the top of the thread and you should receive notifications when someone posts something to it.

Update...under food and Nutrition, I created a Healthy Vegan/Vegetarian Recipe Swap and Pic thread if anyone wants to share just recipes. 😊

On 9/7/2017 at 8:24 AM, Berry78 said:

Ok, first off, thank you very much for making this post. It got me to go look up tofu and seitan.. and those led me to tempeh.

I'm dismayed that tofu has so little Protein. It has the same amount of protein as straight up Beans and lentils, but being an unfermented soy product, there are potential health issues with it.

Seitan is an extremely concentrated source of protein.. but it is wheat gluten. Gluten is a highly allergenic type of protein, and frequent over-exposure could, in theory, trigger allergy where none existed before.

Tempeh is apparently where its at. It is fermented soy, which is apparently safer than unfermented, and it is concentrated.. about twice the protein as that of Beans and lentils.

Fish, of course, is concentrated protein as well. On days you eat 4oz of fish, you simply add a cup of lentils and 2oz of nuts, and you've met your requirements for the day. What? Room for leafy veggies??! Amazing! Lol.

Tempeh doesn't have quite the protein of fish, so you'll need 1.5 cups lentils and 2oz nuts. Still not too bad.

You should try Quorn products. Soy free and gluten free vegetarian sources of protein. They are mushroom based protein - but they don't taste like mushrooms I swear! The Turk'y roast is my favorite - beats a tofurkey any day. I even got my meat eating father to eat it more than once. The Turk'y roast has 100 calories, 13 gr protein and 0.5 gr sugar per serving. And the serving is larger than you would think.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

I am 3 years 3 months out and Reached goal by one year and maintained. I was at 123 and became vegan and I have dropped to 110. But I still have my bloodwork drawn and everything is fantastic. My Protein levels are perfect and I really enjoy the lifestyle.

I changed my Protein Bars and shakes to vegan but I don't use them much because I cook all the time now.

I am wanting to go vegan as well. Can you please tell me what you ate right after your surgrey? My surgrey is October 10th 2017.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I wasn't vegan right after surgery. However it is totally possible. You can change to vegan Protein Shakes and bars. My #1 app is food Monster. It is all vegan recipes. Also the Minimalist baker.

But for right after surgery, I would absolutely make sure you have and love your food processor. Then find your high Protein veggies, Beans, lentils, etc, and blend them if you need to. Also vegan tuna is the bomb.

You can make almost anything vegan. And I promise the weight will come off plus the surgery.

With the surgery I only recorded losses on my fitness pal. I never recorded a stall or a slight gain. That way everything was always going down. I was excited when I could make a new entry.

It's just what worked for me. I did have a shake in the morning for the first three years.

Please feel free to message me and I'll share any vegan info with anyone. I love my lifestyle and chose it for myself, my family, my earth, and the animals.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Zane's Mom said:

My #1 app is food Monster. It is all vegan recipes. Also the Minimalist baker.

Thank you for sharing this!

13 hours ago, Zane's Mom said:

I wasn't vegan right after surgery. However it is totally possible. You can change to vegan Protein Shakes and bars. My #1 app is food Monster. It is all vegan recipes. Also the Minimalist baker.

But for right after surgery, I would absolutely make sure you have and love your food processor. Then find your high Protein veggies, Beans, lentils, etc, and blend them if you need to. Also vegan tuna is the bomb.

You can make almost anything vegan. And I promise the weight will come off plus the surgery.

With the surgery I only recorded losses on my fitness pal. I never recorded a stall or a slight gain. That way everything was always going down. I was excited when I could make a new entry.

It's just what worked for me. I did have a shake in the morning for the first three years.

Please feel free to message me and I'll share any vegan info with anyone. I love my lifestyle and chose it for myself, my family, my earth, and the animals.

What was your daily eating like at 3months please?