Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Abdominal pain, should I worry?

I'm 17 days out from a sleeve to bypass revision (sleeve was 18 months ago) and I've been having abdominal pain for 2 days. I put it down to Constipation, but that has since passed, yet the pain is still there. It's fairly low in my abdomen, just below my navel. It comes in waves, being uncomfortable all the time, but every few minutes there's a wave of pain at around a 7-8 on the pain scale. It comes and goes through the day, if I am tense it hurts more, and kind of feels like muscle spasms.

I'm still on the puree stage, but have been a bit lax with it over the weekend, so put it down to that. Today I've been careful and stuck to liquids, but the pain hasn't changed. No fever, nothing else worrying, it's just very uncomfortable and significantly painful from time to time.

My thinking is that maybe it's still constipation, or something like that, but I'm worried in case it's something more significant. I've had some nausea, but not much, and I'm also aware that it hurts more the more I worry about it!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Do you still have your gallbladder?

Yes... yikes. The pain is bearable right now, but if it escalates I'll call my surgeon. Thank you for giving me something else to keep an eye on! I'd forgotten about gallbladder issues.

Is it on your right side? Could also be appendix. I don't think gallbladder pain is that low. But I know appendix is...I've had mine out. It is very intense and localized pain in lower right side. And it comes and goes. If not taken out it can burst!! Definitely need to get it checked out. Good luck.

I think I'd be quite unlucky to have appendix or gallbladder issues not 3 weeks out of significant abdominal surgery!

Took a while for the pain and spasms to decline enough for me to sleep last night, but I woke up feeling okay, no pain. Got up and had a sip of a Protein Shake, and the spasm came back, but lighter. It only lasted an hour or so.

So whatever it was, I'm wondering if me deciding that my teeth did a good enough job that I didn't have to puree stuff sent some gastric muscle into shock or spasm, like hiccups. The Constipation didn't help, I'm sure! Hopefully it's properly passing now. I'm certainly feeling better now I can stand upright for the first time in 2 days!

Also worried I have a UTI, which I suspected was on the way because I'm prone to getting them, and this was my first time being catheterised. Hopefully it's something else, for now it's just an urge to pee before my bladder is full, and slight discomfort, but I'll see my Dr if it's still happening by this afternoon.

UTI confirmed! On antibiotics now, feverish and tired. Really struggling for the motivation to eat or drink enough, the puree/liquid stage is so dull I just keep forgetting myself when I'm cooking for the family.

Update: stuck to liquids, but had some soft foods on Friday. Cramps came back badly on Friday evening, I ended up puking every half hour from 10pm until 7am, then slept for 12 hours, woke up for a few hours to sip broth, really craved a Saltine, but threw it up an hour later.

Today anything more than Clear Liquids sipped slowly causes stomach cramps. Had a Protein Shake for Breakfast, sipped slowly, and it caused cramps, lots of gas bubbles too, despite me consciously sipping carefully. I'd have called my surgeon yesterday but I literally slept 12 hours solid.

Been pooping okay, but all I can think is that there's a blockage. I'm 22 days out from surgery and was tolerating full liquids really well until a few days ago. Now feeling pretty exhausted and weak, focussing on hydration, and trying to get in some Protein here and there.

Thank you! It comes in waves, when it's worst all I can think about is the ER but I don't have the strength to communicate. Once it subsides a few hours later (usually after puking a bunch) I'm feeling comfortable enough to wait. I'm going to go in tonight though, I'm no longer able to keep down Pedialyte.

Got to the ER at 8pm, it's now past 2pm and I'm still here. I had an x ray and CT scan with contrast, but the Drs don't have experience with bariatric surgery to know how to read the results confidently. Been waiting to be transferred from my local hospital to the bigger hospital where I had my surgery since last night, but they have no beds free.

Feeling better but now just hungry, tired, and frustrated!

Wow! Hang in there... thinking about you! Keep us posted!

Seems to be a bowel obstruction. Was transferred from my local ER to the hosp in the city where I had my surgery.

It was really dumb to wait so long, my surgeon was gentle, but made it clear I should have called as soon as I had the slightest unusual pain.

I was fine on IV fluids and nil by mouth for a few days, would have been sent home this afternoon but after tolerating a cup of black tea and some apple juice this morning, I didn't tolerate half a cup of Italian ice at lunch. So I'm back on the IV, nil by mouth, and will need to stay in for another day or two.

Came home yesterday, back to clear liquids for a few more days, then full, then I can try purees again.

Please take your post surgery instructions seriously, and please don't ignore any pain or discomfort! I was very very lucky that this didn't have an awful outcome.