Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss calculators/predictors at each month

Has anyone seen any good weight loss calculators that breaks a down expected weight loss at 1 month, 3 month, 6 month intervals? I found a great one and now I can't find it! Thank you!

I don't think that's a good idea, honestly. Everyone loses weight at a different pace; if you're trying to keep up with the Joneses, you're going to have a lot of anxiety and stress.

It's a much better idea to just follow your rules, and weigh in at MOST once a week, no more. Don't try to meet specific numbers, because if you do, you're just going to freak out if you're not exactly on target.

You can't control everything, and trying to do so is a recipe for disaster.

14 hours ago, Brandeis said:

I don't think that's a good idea, honestly. Everyone loses weight at a different pace; if you're trying to keep up with the Joneses, you're going to have a lot of anxiety and stress.

It's a much better idea to just follow your rules, and weigh in at MOST once a week, no more. Don't try to meet specific numbers, because if you do, you're just going to freak out if you're not exactly on target.

You can't control everything, and trying to do so is a recipe for disaster.

100% agree. Just stick to your program. Trying to meet goals that may/may not be realistic for you can be detrimental and may cause you stress as each person is different.

Set your own goals instead. Things like I will work out 4X a week for x # of minutes/hours, I will choose ______ to eat rather than _____, I will be able to do _______( something that your weight prevented in the past), etc.....

There is a good one on another site I won't link here. Just google expected weight loss gastric sleeve calculator and it should be in the top 3 choices.

I think they can be helpful to give you an idea of where you should be. It is pretty consevative in loss estimates and goes with averages. I blew all their numbers out the Water.

I used the one on obesty help.. I am 2+ months in and I have not met the one month goal yet lol

The statistics are based on averages. You don't have to be average. Your weight loss will depend on genetics, and how well you follow your plan. You can't control genetics, but you can control your motivation and how well you develop healthy eating and exercise.

Many people on this site have lost 100 % of their excess weight, some took longer, some did it quicker. It really doesn't matter as long as you reach your goal. I have lost 85% of my excess weight at almost 4 months post-op. I fully intend to reach 100%.

3 hours ago, Apple1 said:

The statistics are based on averages. You don't have to be average. Your weight loss will depend on genetics, and how well you follow your plan. You can't control genetics, but you can control your motivation and how well you develop healthy eating and exercise.

Many people on this site have lost 100 % of their excess weight, some took longer, some did it quicker. It really doesn't matter as long as you reach your goal. I have lost 85% of my excess weight at almost 4 months post-op. I fully intend to reach 100%.

Apple1 - I see you have a total of about 50 pounds of weight to lose from beginning to end. That is my situation as well. I am approved for surgery due to back issues with the desired loss to be about 50 pounds. Do you have any words of wisdom for a fellow 50 pounder? I'm having RNY on October 19th.

5 hours ago, kidchick said:

Apple1 - I see you have a total of about 50 pounds of weight to lose from beginning to end. That is my situation as well. I am approved for surgery due to back issues with the desired loss to be about 50 pounds. Do you have any words of wisdom for a fellow 50 pounder? I'm having RNY on October 19th.

I lost about 47 pounds in the 8 months leading up to my surgery. It was the best thing I could have done. I lost about half of what I needed to lose pre-op.

We all lose at different rates so don't compare yourself to other people. Work hard to change your relationship with food. Use this time to change your diet to a sustainable way of eating healthy for the rest of your life. You need to be eating in a way that you can also maintain once you are at your goal weight. This will be different for everyone. Some people need to put some types of foods off the menu for good, or at the very least, for a very long time because they are triggers, some people don't.

Many people chose to eat low carb, some eat a more balanced diet. I would follow your doctors plan until you get to solid foods. You will have to evaluate what is going to work for you. I switched to a WFPB diet because I believe this is the healthiest for me long term. I think starting a regular exercise routine at 4-6 weeks post-op was the best thing I did for myself. I know losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but moving your body speeds your metabolism up, it improves your mood, it is good for your heart, and it burns fat and calories. It also gives you something to focus on when you get to the maintenance phase. You can shift your goals to fitness instead of weight.

Good luck on your journey.

6 hours ago, Apple1 said:

I lost about 47 pounds in the 8 months leading up to my surgery. It was the best thing I could have done. I lost about half of what I needed to lose pre-op.

We all lose at different rates so don't compare yourself to other people. Work hard to change your relationship with food. Use this time to change your diet to a sustainable way of eating healthy for the rest of your life. You need to be eating in a way that you can also maintain once you are at your goal weight. This will be different for everyone. Some people need to put some types of foods off the menu for good, or at the very least, for a very long time because they are triggers, some people don't.

Many people chose to eat low carb, some eat a more balanced diet. I would follow your doctors plan until you get to solid foods. You will have to evaluate what is going to work for you. I switched to a WFPB diet because I believe this is the healthiest for me long term. I think starting a regular exercise routine at 4-6 weeks post-op was the best thing I did for myself. I know losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise, but moving your body speeds your metabolism up, it improves your mood, it is good for your heart, and it burns fat and calories. It also gives you something to focus on when you get to the maintenance phase. You can shift your goals to fitness instead of weight.

Good luck on your journey.

Thank you for your insight. I, too, have made several changes and am moving to more of a WFPB lifestyle. I removed wheat about 4 months ago, totally, and that has helped considerably. I will continue to tweak it as I go along. I already live with little to no sugar, processed foods and dairy so I'm on the right track. Looking forward to getting my weight off and my back to a place that I can enjoy life with the grandbabies that much more :). Blessings!

12 hours ago, kidchick said:

Can I ask what makes you do rny for 50lbs as apposed to vsg just curious? I have over 100 to lose but I thought rny was too drastic for that amount though I know a lot do :)