Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling very down and upset

I have been having a really rough time on the liquid diet part hopefully next Thursday I can go on puréed foods. I am also getting down because people make me feel like I will never eat again. I have been craving sushi like crazy and a few people said well keep craving it cause you will never eat that again. I mean why be so cruel. I hope I can def eat sushi after surgery. Some people say oh well you have to wait at least 2 years to eat sushi. It's making me feel like I have to defend myself all the time. My family is super supportive and always tell me I will eat my favorite foods again it's just a matter of time. Other people make it seem like I have committed myself to a death sentence. Are these people right? Will I be able to eat sushi in a few month or years or never. I'm just getting so fed up. I also love Pasta and rice and they make it seem like well that's off the menu forever. I don't want to eat it always but knowing every once in a while I can have it makes me feel better.

Omg I completelyyyy feel you on the sushi craving. I saw a picture today and my mouth was watering! I am two weeks post op today and have definitely had moments where I feel so defeated because I'm tired of eating Soup and Protein shakes! After literally sobbing to my mom she brought home Snacks and convinced me that if I chewed them well I shouldn't have a problem. Now I am noooo way condoning to stray from your physicians meal plan, but from personal experience, you're not going to die if you have a little something different. I eat very little still and probably around 500 calories or less. But yesterday I really wanted a Thai curry and had a teeny bit of brown rice with it and I was completely fine. I've even had a couple of goldfish, hummus, a thin slice of cheese and tofu. As long as you chew well, eat slow and listen to your body, you shouldn't have an issue. Don't think that you're never going to have these foods again because it's simply not the truth. I've seen so many sleevers posting pictures of their sushi and pastas. It's all about balance and making healthy choices, not depriving yourself. Hang in there, it will all be worth it soon enough I just know it!

Just know that you are beginning a new phase of your life, and because it takes a while to heal after surgery, try not to think of later phases. Stick to your liquids and know that you don't know the future. And it's not important right now. Your liquid diet is to wait out the healing your stomach needs. Just live in that moment, get through each hour and day.

I am now 6 weeks out! Last night I was SUPER happy. I'm trying to eat first Protein soft foods, then Protein Powder still, all the good stuff... losing weight, doing my workouts. But what made me super happy? I adore sesame seed encrusted chicken wings. With hot sauce! Not something that is on the Supposed To diet. But one wing, eaten slowly for thirty minutes? I so wanted it to work. And it did! This will be you. Keeping your carbs low and your protein high, slowly healing, in a few weeks you can certainly slowly chew some nice sashimi. A tiny bit will really satisfy you. It's good for you. The rice, well, I certainly haven't done rice yet, scared to, but one day I will try even if it's only a few grains at a time. Everything in it's time.

Best is that you will be satisfied with a fraction of the amount of your fave foods. This is the miracle of this tool, the sleeve. Don't feel down about it. These early weeks will pass. You will slowly introduce food, and you will be able Tom have a better relationship with it. Keep on keeping on.

Hang in there. I am two weeks post op and moved to puree food and have had tuna, hummus, mashed potatoes, butternut squash Soup, and refried Beans with a small amount of melted cheddar cheese. I seem to be able to eat generous 3 oz portions without a challenge although I can feel that is right about on the edge of what I can eat even though my "appetite" says I might like to eat more. Anyhow, it will continue to get better and better. The all liquid part plays with your head and can make you feel hopeless ... but it passes quickly.

I am two months post op and I was eating crabs two weeks out. I can pretty much eat everything I ate before but the beauty of this is making the right choices. People are sometimes downers and every story is different. Keep up your exercising and walking and you should be fine eating whatever you want in moderation.

When of the skills each of us has to develop is how to tell truth from bullshit. If anyone tells you you'll never eat X food again, that's bullshit. After a time, you'll get to the point that you can eat just about anything. It might be a very small amount, but you'll be able to eat it. There are plenty of things you probably shouldn't eat, but that's a different matter. Good luck!

I can eat anything without my stomach being upset but the question becomes "should I eat it". It depends on your body. Will the carbs cause a stall or worse a gain? You're getting ahead of yourself and your can see how people saying that is annoying. Try not to focus on that stuff because once you start dropping the pounds it's very motivating and easier to say no to the foods that could cause issues.

I have been having a really rough time on the liquid diet part hopefully next Thursday I can go on puréed foods. I am also getting down because people make me feel like I will never eat again. I have been craving sushi like crazy and a few people said well keep craving it cause you will never eat that again. I mean why be so cruel. I hope I can def eat sushi after surgery. Some people say oh well you have to wait at least 2 years to eat sushi. It's making me feel like I have to defend myself all the time. My family is super supportive and always tell me I will eat my favorite foods again it's just a matter of time. Other people make it seem like I have committed myself to a death sentence. Are these people right? Will I be able to eat sushi in a few month or years or never. I'm just getting so fed up. I also love Pasta and rice and they make it seem like well that's off the menu forever. I don't want to eat it always but knowing every once in a while I can have it makes me feel better.

People are sometimes a buzz kill because they're jealous. When I went through the multiple appointments to get to the procedure I told the PA one of my fears is not being able to eat the things I love. I love McAlister baked potato and shelf salads. She said you will still be able to have the things you love but in moderation. The key to making this tool a success is moderation, exercise and just making healthy choices. It is a lifestyle change and we can't pick up all our bad habits but we can treat ourselves once a week. I plan on enjoying life on the weekends and taking care of business during the week. I was sleeved on 8/10.

Of course you can [emoji4] The key is MODERATION! Carbs did not serve us well Pre Op and don't Post Op either. BUT.... live, be happy and OCCASIONALLY indulge, its all about mindful eating. Congrats on taking the steps to a healthier AND happier you!

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I am 3 months post-op now, and I can eat anything except steak. I haven't tried it in a month or so, but the last time I did, it didn't sit well with me. I agree with other posters, that you will gradually be able to eat anything you want. You should be careful with that though. Many processed foods are sliders, and you can eat lots of the stuff. You won't get full on sweets or chips either. I had sushi about two weeks ago. My grocery store makes it fresh, and they make a brown rice version. I had a few pieces of that. It was excellent, and filled me up quite a bit.

I would suggest that you start planning your daily eating in advance if you don't already. I allow myself to go over on calories on Fridays now. I might have a slice or two of cauliflower pizza or something else I've been craving throughout the week. I will eat less calories early that day to save room for it. I might hit the 1,100 calorie mark or even a bit more at times. I then hit the gym hard on Saturday morning to make up for it. It works for me.

As far as Pasta goes, I don't really eat it. Pasta is one of my trigger foods, and I could easily overeat that. It is also very high in calories. I use spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I generally roast two at a time, and freeze it. That way, it is there when I want it. I also do zoodles (zucchini noodles), but not that often since my daughter hates them.

So, the takeaway is...Find healthy ways to enjoy your favorite foods. Cauliflower crust pizza, zoodles, spaghetti squash, etc. Also experiment with sauces and toppings for these. I make veggie crumble tacos with Flatout wraps, shell less taco salads, enchiladas, and even lasagnas with either zucchini or eggplant instead of noodles.

Good luck on your journey!